32 coaches online • Server time: 10:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Force

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 11:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry I can't resist:
Malthor wrote:
If you don't like it, you are welcome to find another league, or start your own and do all the programming yourself.

This guy responds to a suggestion with "If you don't like it the way it is then piss of"
grep-v wrote:
Force, you aren't discussing.

Of course not, thats what i said.
grep-v wrote:
BTW: exaggeration proves nothing but the fact you aren't capable of arguing. Perhaps you should find another way to express your point of view?

Perhaps you should figure out how to read?
I said the LADDER/RANKING/TABLES are "Stupid" as an exaggeration to emphasise that I am not interested in it and therefore not interested in cheating.

This topic was about playing offline and uploading to FUMBBL and the second reply is "you look like a cheater we will get you kicked out of here".
MattiasF

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Maniac0301 wrote:
http://trollcave.no-ip.org/LeagueManager/

This link is to the league manager program. It is a great program and it should fulfill all of your local gaming needs. It is easy to follow and will create html rosters for your teams so that they can be used in javabowl.

I would like to add the link to the LeaugeManger I've tweaked (improved?).
Mainly adds the possiblity to manage your own teams, without the need for your opponents team to be in the same league. And other stuff as well.

http://hem.bredband.net/b158319/index.html

Too bad I dont have more time to tweak this. But now I use Fummbl more and more. And lets just say that if I have a choice, I rather play my friends teams first Smile
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

This whole discussion has boiled down to semantics, which is just silly. No quoting, no nitpicking, no insults, just my 2 cents.

Force, you are suffering from a critical failure to get the point. Comparing FUMBBL to Battle.net is inherently flawed logic. Blizzard's motives and Christer and Klipp's motives are entirely different. Blizzard wants money. They provide a free service to get as many people as possible buying and playing their games. FUMBBL is a niche product that by definition CANNOT earn its operators money. Their motive is to provide a fair and fun place for people to play.

You complain that it should be used for League Management because the client doesn't handle it. Well FUMBBL is League Management, but it's a league run by those guys. Since it is by far the most robust league around I can see where you'd confuse it with something else. JBB doesn't handle league management for one simple reason; so the user can find the way that best suits them to manage their league. Everything Christer and Klipp have done has made things more fair for the people who choose to play in their league. Everything you have suggested opens the possibility for cheating, as does any method of offline play.

When people warn against cheating its because they don't want it here.
When people tell you to go do things your own way, it's because they don't want you to conform to this mostly cheat free environment if you don't want to.

You have repeatedly mistake FUMBBL's intent. It isn't a place you and your buddies can use to organize their league. Your best option is to used the above listed software, or create a private FUMBBL group with divT teams. You make your suggestions like they will improve FUMBBL, but really all they'll do is make things easier for you. I'm almost positive that no one here wants to see the general quality of FUMBBL lowered just to satisfy a small group.

Final point; if people are given the opportunity to cheat, they will. You may not, your friends may not, but eventually someone will. I for one avoid open cess pools like Open Battle.net, and I don't want to see it recreated here.
Lord-Willi

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I am sorry to interrupt your dicussion so rudely, but i think my question is not really answered...
According to Klipp (if i understood him right) i can download my team Roster to play an offline Game vs any buddy who carries his Roster eg. on a USB Stick to my place, using my secondary computer. We can later upload the result if we are logged into fumbbl.com.... right ?

I did not ask permission to create a second account, create two halfling teams and boost up a wood elf Team by winning each of them 10 Times without any casualty and -TD, thats not the intention, just wanted to safe some money while playing against people in my area, which can easily meet !

So is it possible or not was the question, a simple yes (or yes but) or no would be enough, no war should commence because of that...

@all creators: as well as there are some bugs, good work and keep on Very Happy
Force

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

As far as i know: Yes you can, but:

You have to use 2 Computers. (LAN)
Standalone (1 PC Hotseat) games cannot be uploaded...

Playing on one PC is more fun, but... well, the Halflings. Blame the Halflings...
CptMofo

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Just takes the time to give a -Thumbs up- to the moderators and Admins.
Thumbs up for SkiJunkie aswell.
I do have Ideas, if I have had questions I have actually send them to Admin via PM to avoid being flamed on the board.
I do play with friends, no not LAN yet. We are six friends that has gotten together. We created Div T teams, created a tournament. Now we do aim to have a LAN in the coming days, we have a router.
If we decide to play any of the Tournament games, I will inform Admin of this, and explain the situation. That way the whole tourmanent just might be played in one night. If this would cause any problem from Admins side well. In that case we just had fun playing Blood Bowl didnt we?
Since you said yourself, its more for fun then having a good team didnt you Force?
So why bother if you are not allowed to upload the results and get those 31 SPP?
You know how your friends play now, and when you finaly meet them online in your own little Tourmanent, you will whoop their behinds..

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 19:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Just set up your own league without fumbbl. Sure, Fumbbl is fully automated and updates everyting for you. But the bot in the chat room can roll skills, gate, aging etc etc. Me and Rice028 had an offline league. Works fine.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Ohh the reason why me and my friends do not use TT Bloodbowl..simple.
We are rule maniacs. Just the rule discussions each game will prolong the time of each game with about an hour atleast.
Here on JavaBowl there are no rules to argue about since the client does that for us. And so far we have not found a way to argue with the Client.

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2003 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Java Bowl is simply superior to the Board Game.
Some people play this game for the Minis and painting...
Those who play because of the core game will agree with me that the Game is far better on the PC.

And it plays way faster. You can actually spent your time playing rather than painting or argueing the rules.
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2003 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Technically I may agree, but as social engineering it's a mammoth failure. Tabletop is still much more fun. The amount of "content" between you and your opponent is far higher in real life. Most JBB games start with "good luck" end with "thx gg" and have a few lines of conversation in between. Whereas in real life, a game session is full of talking and laughing, and stories.

JBB also promotes lazy play, since it does most of the work for you. I found it near impossible to get a new player friend of mine on solid footing with the rules because he started playing JBB at the same time and played it much more often.

Technically it is better. I will sing Ski's and FUMBBL's praises for many years to come. But it is exceptionally limited when it comes to some of the most interesting aspects of a game.
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2003 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

CptMofo wrote:
Ohh the reason why me and my friends do not use TT Bloodbowl..simple.

He didn't say don't use JBB, he said don't use FUMBBL. Your situation sounds ideal for league manager software.
Force

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2003 - 01:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Well get Microsoft Gamevoice or Battle.com or Teamspeak. Chatting in games is kinda out-dated... Wink
MixX

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2003 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
PS: you aren't Toby from TBB, are you?

Funny, in the beginning of this post I got the same idea.. don't know if he is, couldn't care less either.

But there definetely IS some resemblance between Toby and Force's styles... lots of ideas and in general disagreement with most of the other people Smile

ps/ not commenting on the subject, just making an observation...
Delta

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2003 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I know that this is way off the topic but....

Force wrote:
Chatting in games is kinda out-dated... Wink

I quite like a bit of banter during a game....spices things up a little when things get tense.

Rather like this thread!! Twisted Evil
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2003 - 01:46 Reply with quote Back to top

He probably is...

Z
 Jump to: