35 coaches online • Server time: 10:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post Dodge
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What should be done about the Vampire teams in Axis & Allies?
Leave them in, and see how they go
52%
 52%  [ 11 ]
Replace them with Nurgle's Rotters teams
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Replace them with Undead teams
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 21

m0nty

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2003 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

The first league season of the Axis & Allies group is drawing to a close, and it has become clear that the Vampire teams are lagging considerably behind the other five races. ChickenBrain resigned his Vamps team in disgust at how "broken" the race was, and at the time of writing this, the three remaining Vamp teams had the three lowest ST ratings: 100, 98 and 95 after three or four games each.

As the leagues finish and the first knock-out cups commence, I will have to add at least one team to replace ChickenBrain, which leads me to think that it would be a good time to consider other ideas, listed as poll options above. I could merely add another Vampire team to be the eighth team in the Bareknuckle Trophy and so go on to the next league season as planned. Alternatively, I could kick out all the Vampire teams and replace them with another race (with currently participating Vamp team coaches being given the option to resubmit a new team, of course).

If I was to replace the Vamps, the choice of the new race would need to be in the spirit of Axis & Allies. I could choose Nurgle's Rotters, which are not technically undead, but they are experimental and are reportedly going to join the other races included in A&A as open teams in the next revision of Blood Bowl. Or I could go with the vanilla Undead race, which has the virtue of being undead but isn't experimental and thus could be a little unbalanced - and maybe too similar to other undead races.

I would particularly like to hear from current A&A participants in this thread, but of course everyone is welcome to vote, and everyone can submit a team of whatever race is decided upon for that extra spot in the second season.
Hax

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2003 - 16:27 Reply with quote Back to top

i also play vampires in A&A and i think they aint really good, this "off for a bite" stuff really makes them hard to play. the point is, without lots of RR you dont have a good chance to win (a point i didnt know, when creating the team with 2 RR).
they might be able to catch ab at higher Trating, but i would prefer to add the rotters instead !
Mully

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2003 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you DO have to play them smart though. You can't have 5 vamps on the field at once cause you're gonna get bit (lol) with OFAB every turn. I've had mediocre success with my div x vamps. Started out with only 2, and 4 RR (which helps). I never have more than 3 on the field at once, and that seems to help the OFAB stuff. I am also trying to build up 3 Thralls and let the rest be blood fodder.

I don't think you can judge them by the STR rating though as I believe FUMMBL undervalues the vamp teams STR rating. If I only played teams equal to my div x vamp STR I think I would win 80% of the matches.

Although I voted to replace them with undead, I hope the Vamp coaches try and stick it out with their Vamp teams and see if the momentum turns in their favor later in the tourney. Of course, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2003 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I think the only way to measure their capacity and potential is to leave them in, and see how they do. Eventually, the vamps will start to come around in SPPs, and will get much better once they have a couple of skills.

Z
Hax

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2003 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

hmm,
why not,
but i made a wrong startup with my vamps... Sad
Mordachai

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2003 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I think I have made my opinions clear on this matter and I vote on replacing vamps... If I have to choose between Nurgles Rotters and plain Undead I guess I will choose the Nurgles (though I wouldn't mind playing either team since I havn't done so yet).

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2003 - 07:20 Reply with quote Back to top

OK then, I think I will at least give the Nurgle's Rotter idea a try-out. The opinions of the Vamp coaches matter most, and they have said they want to switch. Please keep playing the Vamp teams in the current A&A leagues, because I am still not sure I'll go through with it... perhaps someone will object strongly enough to warrant keeping them. In any case, the Rotters teams will be separate to the leagues for the time being.

Hax, Mordachai and chefnekromant will be invited to submit rookie Rotters teams. A number of other rookie Rotters teams will also be admitted (visit the A&A group page to apply). To bring the new teams up to speed, I'll create a tournament for them to play each other for a few games, and possibly add a team or two of my own to make it interesting! These games will be played concurrently with the leagues, and hopefully will finish at the same time as the leagues, so the option will be open to introduce them into A&A through the first finals series.
wings

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2003 - 09:57 Reply with quote Back to top

And what do we do in the meantime with our games, especially considering Chickenbrain has retired? I'm due to play "Red Storm" tonight, and they will have played 1 less game than me. While it sounds silly, it can make a big difference as to how the game would pan out.

Anyway, we'll play our game tonight, but we need to sort something out soon Smile
m0nty

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2003 - 05:32 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, with to the withdrawal of Lithum from A&A due to personal issues, Axis & Allies will also need a new Old World team. I'll be taking two or three OW team entries to the Cutthroat Open (the preseason tourney for the Rotters teams) at the A&A group page. Only the OW team with the highest TR after the Open will qualify to join A&A.

This "preseason" tourney, comprising 7 open round robin matches, will run during the first A&A post-season. Since it's so late in the league season, I'm afraid the three cups will have to run with the vampire teams as is, with the four Rotters and one Old World team coming in for the start of season 2. I hope everyone's happy with that.
 Jump to: