17 coaches online • Server time: 06:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
megafreak666

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2003 - 08:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, I've got a couple of games under my belt, and even though my record sucks, I can feel myself starting to get better, especially with my last victory with my Chaos Pact Team.

I am looking for some advice for my first, and most oft-played team, Manic Aggression. You can check it out if you like, but the gist of it is:

TR/STR about 140ish
12 players
4 CW
1 Ogre
7 Beastmen
FF8
TRR 2

1 CW -1 AV
1 Beastman with niggle.

1 warrior with block. 2 beastmen with just block, and one beastman with block and sure hands. Funnily enough my ogre has scored 0 SPP in nine games or so. Assuming I don't get absolutely mangled next game and have to replace a bunch of players, I should be able to get a third re-roll.
Good idea? I would think so, but then again, I could replace that ailing warrior with lowered AV and NO spp's.
(I was planning on doing that eventually unless he started to develop well)

I think that with a third re-roll and a good game to get some SPP spread, this team could be looking pretty good in a few games. Any advice on what I should buy/pick for skills.

I'm thinking block is first priority for CW, followed by either tackle, PO, or mighty blow. Block/ tackle or Strip ball for Beastmen? Block without a doubt for the ogre--if it EVER hurts anybody Mad

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS Anybody ever hire stars? I've never seen anybody do it, and I'm a little surprised that even though I'd expect it to rare I'd expect at least one person to do it once in awhile. Is it just not worth it, or frowned upon?
cataphract

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2003 - 08:41 Reply with quote Back to top

big stars generally aren't worth it... but the odd chainsaw is fun. also don't forget that your guys can get guard... guard is a very good skill

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2003 - 09:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't forget physical mutations on doubles. It sounds like you don't have a lot of BB experience, so I should probably infrom you about kick skill. Give one of your Beastmen this skill, it rocks!
Michael_Warblade

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2003 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes some people do hire stars it doesnt help much you basically pay lots of money to put him on the pitch and he might help you win a match its true but that money could be better spent on RR's or Permanent players

you definately want to get RSC (razor sharp claws) on as many players as you can

The sure hands beastman should get either big hand or AG4 otherwise Guard

your ideal skill list for a CW is
Block/(MB or RSC or PO)/Tackle
after that it varies wildly you might take frezny/spikes/tentecales/dodge/stand firm on doubles
or guard/passblock or any other ST/G skill on standard rolls

Beastmen generally get
block/guard/tackle with Claw or PO and RSC thrown in where possible

around 2 - 3 beastmen need
block/sure hands/AG4 or Bighand/guard/tackle

Very long legs is also a good mutation for beast men (if you have a Ag4 beastman and roll doubles get VLL and then pass block and youll be an interception machine catching on a 4-6)

you might consider giving one of them pass (preferably an AG 4 one if you ever get one)
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2003 - 03:27 Reply with quote Back to top

There is more you can do with a Chaos team than rack up casualties as well. Decimating your opponent can certainly help you win, but you do need to score occasionally if you want to win a game.

To that end, go relatively easy on the offensive skills. Offensive skills are things like guard, tackle, claw, mighty blow, razor sharp claws, piling on, etc... They are great skills, don't get me wrong. A few players with these will really give your opponents something to worry about and keep them on the defensive. The point is that not EVERY player needs to be a CAS machine and if every player is, you've lost out on a lot of chances to take some (gasp!) ball handling skills.

On regular skill rolls, sure hands, at least one kick (my first regular skill pick on a beastman, always), maybe a strip ball or a few pros.
On doubles, you have more options than you can shake a stick at. Try Big Hand, Dodge, Pass, Accurate, Passblock, Very Long Legs, Hail Mary Pass, etc...

Block is arguably an offensive skill, but I still think it's worth taking on everyone just to conserve rerolls.

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2003 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Not to mention the fact that many coaches shun games with teams overflowing with RSC, Dirty Player, PO.

It all depends on how you want to play the game - (the following is my opinion about the matter, don't hate me) you either:
1) try to make a team that would make Deathgerbil proud
2) make a team that goes for the win rather than the kill

In an open format like this the second version is the best choice since most coaches will look at your killer team and go: No, thanks - I would rather like to have a team left after the game.

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2003 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Chaos needs:

1) Re-rolls. Start with 3 minimum. Get more fast. You should get that third re-roll even if you don't have 11 players. Then get a fourth as soon as you can. After that you can relax a bit before buying your fifth re-roll.
2) Block. Spread those spps. :p
3) A few Tacklers quickly, (might want to give some Beastmen Tackle before Block for those pesky blodgers), a lot of Guards later, then more Tackle.

On the whole, get the entire team Block/Tackle/Guard. You don't need Mighty Blow. As mentioned, a few Beastmen will want Tackle, but on the whole you should give as many of them Block/Guard as you can - Tackle comes after that. Chaos Warriors should not take Tackle before Guard. ST 4 AG 3 players with Block and Guard are a nuisance to your opponent - especially if there's four of the buggers.

Concerning doubles, you need either Big Hand or +AG (not a double but hey). After you've rolled that, give the player in question Sure Hands. It's usually a waste of a skill to assign a regular beastman Sure Hands. You have re-rolls for that (which is why you should have lots of those Wink). On Beastmen, the best mutation is Foul Appearance (after you have your Big Hand/+AG player of course). 5 Claw Beastmen won't help you much vs elves. 5 FA Beastmen will stop those pesky elves from passing. Chaos Warriors do better with Claw than Beastmen, but FA is also a very good skill. Taking FA across the board on doubles is a very decent game-plan.

There are a few times you'll be wanting to take something else on a double (For instance, I had a wonderful Block/Tackle/+AG/Two Heads Beastman who could dodge into tackle zones on a 2+), but on the whole FA is the number one choice.

On BMM's comment about offensive skills... I've always looked at both Tackle and Guard as defensive skills. :p They go both ways, which is why they are so good. The only skills I see as pure offensive skills are PO/Mighty Blow/etc - and those are skills Chaos can do without. Mine does.

Yes, PO/RSC/Mighty Blow is a tempting combo - however, it not only wins you fewer games, it also makes people avoid playing you.

Rant off.

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2003 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

My two cents worth is this.

Start with 3 CWs and 8 beastmen, even though that means only 2 rerolls. This way you have more CWs getting SPP quicker and some punch in early games. Save up and buy a reroll pronto. Its actually cheaper than starting with 1 CW and buying two more CW later...

Against teams like elves and skaven I have most problems. Usually they score relatively quickly. After that I hold on to the ball as long as possible in a cage, and simply attempt to beat the other team up. Not very technical but... One problem is when the other team doesnt respect you enough and tries to throw blocks at your cage. So CAS causing skills is a definite for some respect.

Also NEVER place more than 4 or 5 players on the front line when receiving. My wood elves laugh whenever they play a team that only has a few players receiving kickoffs. Spread your beastmen around the back field so you can collect the ball and hand it off if possible. This way you can usually form a pocket near the front line. Also beastmen with guard make your ball carrier invulnerable in a cage. Then hopefully a rolling maul to the tryline.

Hope this helps some.

Oscar Wilde
deathgerbil

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2003 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

This is my take on chaos, -

Your chaos warrior/big guys are the bashers of the team. give them block, pile on, and rsc/mighty blow, and they'll work wonders for your team.

Your beastmen are your ball control guys/backup. dirty player or guard make them really valuable. Usually, i try to give one beastman tackle and claw if possible, and sit him in my backfield to stop anyone who manages to get past my defences too.

for ball control you don't need big hand or passing for the most part, - one beastman with agi 4 is usually plenty if you try the cage technique and just run your team straight through the center, protecting the ball guy while mauling everyone in your way. if you get lucky and have 2 or more guys with +agi, then you can start having some real fun with some long bombs and last minute touchdowns.

personally, with the starting lineup for chaos, i like to try 10 beastmen, 1 minotaur, 9 ff, and the rest in rerolls. With chaos, you need lots of rerolls as mezir said earlier.

I get the minotaur early because with big guys, its really hard to level them up in 200+ tr games if they are brand new.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2003 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir wrote:
...[some good advice]...
On BMM's comment about offensive skills... I've always looked at both Tackle and Guard as defensive skills. :p They go both ways, which is why they are so good. The only skills I see as pure offensive skills are PO/Mighty Blow/etc - and those are skills Chaos can do without. Mine does.

I was generalizing pretty broadly and Mez was good to point that out. A cage/screen of guarding players is a wonderful thing that will make your offense roll smoothly. By including them in my list of 'offensive' skills, I was referring more to a style of play that involves using them for 3die blocks on completely irrelevant players for the sake of carnage just because you can.

I always leave myself short on Tackle and always regret it, for example.

Mordachai summed up my point far better than I did:
Mordachai wrote:
It all depends on how you want to play the game - (the following is my opinion about the matter, don't hate me) you either:
1) try to make a team that would make Deathgerbil proud
2) make a team that goes for the win rather than the kill

Nothing against Deathgerbil, just an opposing point of view.

Jump to: