19 coaches online • Server time: 04:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Colin

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2003 - 12:35 Reply with quote Back to top

This coming weekend, I'm embarking on a year-long, round-the-world trip, and so will probably not be playing on FUMBBL during that time. I realise I haven't played much in recent times, as my meagre record of 6/0/0 on the new system will tell you. However, this is not the whole story of my online BB career...

When Christer created the inaugural JLeague competition last year, I was the very first coach to sign up to it. I finished second to Christer, and would have won it if not for a stunt Zy-Nox pulled with a Bull Centaur (a pickup and series of dodges, calculated at 1/18th probability of success), allowing him to draw a game I had all but wrapped up with my Dwarf team of the time. In the final game with Christer's Lizardmen, I had to go for broke to win the game, a virtually impossible task with Dwarfs.

When the FUMBBL began in September/October, I was the 2nd ranked coach (after Christer again) right up until the new system came into being. My Woodelf team, the Westlake Whitewings, reached the final of the first FUMBBL Cup; sadly, the final was never played. The Whitewings were my best ever team; in the 18 matches they played, they never lost a player and suffered only one permanent injury to a player during play, along with two ageing rolls. They had only four players with stat increases (no +str, 3 +ag and 1 +ma), and only one double (Strong Arm on the thrower). I also had a Dark Elf side (Extreme Prejudice) with a 8/0/0 record.

When the new system came online, I had other distractions which limited my play, but am satisfied with my current High Elf team's 6/0/0 record, which will be added to in the future (I wonder how long the 100% win ratio will continue?)

As for me as a coach, I consider myself a very good defensive coach, and am noted for my 'careful' play (i.e. slowwww). At one stage I was an avid spectator of matches, which tended to end in me flaming one or both coaches in the chatroom for their mistakes. And Wuhan, too, even if he hadn't played... Wink
Nevertheless, I like to think I made a contribution to helping newer coaches who needed advice and help.

Finally, I'd like to thank Christer (all our matches were tough affairs, hinging on a single dice roll that normally went his way Wink ) and all the other coaches I played and flamed. Keep playing, keep improving and keep enjoying our game Very Happy
veron

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2003 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Sad to see you go, Colin. Have fun on your trip and make the most of it. And when you have spare time, try to think ways you could maybe speed up your game a bit, and maybe we can play a game one time too! Wink
cjohnsto

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2003 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh one in 18 chance I have had a skeleton dodge twice into tackle zones pickup a ball in tackle zones dodge again out of the tackle zone, dodge a lightning bolt and then go for it twice to score and win a final at our local competition. Now that was one lucky skeleton! His name was slanty Smile
Dan

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2003 - 15:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Good Luck with your round the world trip. I'll never forget that it was you who taught me about how to use a WA trap (with repeated shouts of "why did you do that, you muppet!) Smile
Mathias

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2003 - 15:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Have fun on ure trip Colin! U really are a slow co.. erh I mean a good defensive coach Smile
Take care and enjoy yourself!
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2003 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember Colin being enormously helpful when I started (not just in this league, but new to BB altogether) back in the fall.

Enjoy the trip Colin, we'll all be here when you get back.

Jump to: