34 coaches online • Server time: 18:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2005 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not being sarcastic. Get a newer OS. Web programs like Java and Flash and countless others really no longer care about '98. I work for the largest Broadband provider in the US, and we often have to tell people. Sorry, it just doesn't work with '98.

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2005 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, some solutions have been found, but here is some recent explorations on this topic with WinXPSP2.

On Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P (NVIDIA NIC) Connection lost at half time... everytime when playing online. After frustrating search for new drivers from Fujitsu/Siemens site I changed to Compaq NX9010 laptop (National Semiconductor DP83815 NIC). And the same thing happened again. This when playing with Fumbbl login on. Tried with my friends without login -> if I made a TD as host, instant crash and all internet connectivity lost, cannot quit the client even with ALT+F4, mouse doesn't move, MSN Messenger disconnects etc. If no TD was made the same thing happens at the end of the game. After a couple of minutes Javabowl client suddenly breaks connection and as a miracle my internet connection recovers.

I have read all the post here but because of the different NICs used I started to suspect the ADSL modem or its' firewall configuration being the cause. Well, updated the modem bios and checked the modem was in routing/bridged state. No luck. Hangs and breaks connection.

We did some packet analyzing with Rynkky and it seemed that there was something really strange happening at setups, in one acknowledge message. It seemed to corrupt in my end and appear as data which it wasn't, so we ended up thinking this might be driver or hardware based problem. The packet analyzer strangely informed that the NIC driver being used was NETGEAR FA312 Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter, which in fact is found on the list in earlier post on this topic.

From Compaq website I found an update driver package for National Semiconductor DP83815 chip. And success! No crashes, not atleast without Fumbbl login. I did not even run the setups that came with the package, just run the package exe and it replaced the NIC driver. Network conection currently states the nic being Natinaol Semiconductor DP83815/816 10/100 MacPhyter PCI Adapter and working B-)

I will continue studying the NVIDIA chip case later. Now, back to gaming.
Barnlato

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2005 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

And to confirm that this was infact a NIC driver related problem, I found that latest NVIDIA drivers installed on my Scaleo P (Fujitsu Siemens website did not have these at this date) would also correct the problem B-)

Case closed.
Sinner

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2006 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

just updating network card driver might not be enough. Espacially xDSL users should experiment with the MTU-size of the NIC.

Except from having trouble uploading games I also had trouble accessing ebay. I found a post about Ebay having problems with too large an MTU (as well as some freemail-providers) I reduced the MTU now, but have no game to test as my last opponent and me agreed to forget the game after we tried solving the problem for over an hour.

I will report back if it worked

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2006 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
I'm not being sarcastic. Get a newer OS. Web programs like Java and Flash and countless others really no longer care about '98. I work for the largest Broadband provider in the US, and we often have to tell people. Sorry, it just doesn't work with '98.

Well, I have Win 98. But then again I do play a lot of old games...

Anyway. I have only noticed problems with some programs, that just don't work on 98. I've run into ~5 of them, maybe less. I've never had any problems with Java or Flash, that would be because of 98.

Yes, you should upgrade to XP, but I still don't think 98 would be the source of the problems.

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 06:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I had the same problem with D-Link DWL510 + Windows XP.

It in my case helped:
1. Install the D-Link normally, with D-Link driver and software
2. Go to realtek's download side and download the driver
3. Unpack the driver and edit the file NET8180.INF with a normal text editor: replace VEN_10EC with VEN_1186 (6 replacements) then replace SUBSYS_818010EC with SUBSYS_33001186 (2 replacements)
4. Go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Network adapters and right-click your D-Link card to go to properties. Select Driver then Update Driver... and choose Have Disk and enter the location of your edited NET8180.INF
5. Reboot your computer

Described solution i found on side
TomWyvern

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2006 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I've just updated my NIC, I've downloaded Hamachi just in case, and I've made a note never to use the proxies (I've read somewhere that they might be causing the problems) but I have a few questions before I try playing again..this problem is really getting to me, it already ruined three games and I don't want it ruining another.

What exactly is Hamachi? and how do I use it to play Blood Bowl on this site?

If I don't use one of the proxies, can I enter my IP as a server? or do I have to use one of the ones listed and just try a different port?

I'm assuming the client has to enter the same info as the server?

EDIT: I should mention that my problem is that my system keeps crashing at half time.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2006 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

When you are hosting you don't have to enter your IP. Just set the port and host. Then hand your opponent your IP and the port you used (by the way the port for spectators is the one the game is on +5 (i.e. if the port used by the players is 8080 spectators connect to port 8085) - just in case you want to fiddle with fire wall settings).

If you are connecting to a direct game enter the IP and port your opponent gives you.

I can't assist any with that half-time crash problem, I am afraid.

-Mnemon
TomWyvern

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2006 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Well..I tried that and it wouldn't allow my opponents team to load =(, something about it not being authenticated.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2006 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like you haven't turned on FUMBBL login in the client options. Load up the client, change it in the options, then start a standalone game and proceed onwards up until the kickoff has been done. Close the client - at that point the options.ini is being updated.

-Mnemon
TomWyvern

Post   Posted: Jul 23, 2006 - 01:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Acctually it was set to FUMBBL login.

But the problem seems to be fixed, I installed Hamachi..didn't do anything with it but install it, so I don't know if that helped and I played on the Australian proxy. Game worked fine =).
gansus

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2006 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a question maybe any of the people using Hamachi could solve for me. I have read about Hamachi and so on and downloaded it. But what i dont know is how to mix it with the match im about to play. I know TomWyvern have just said that only installing it solved the problem, but maybe it does not do so in my case, so thats why i ask. So these are my questions:
- Does my opponent have to install Hamachi too ir order for it to be usable for that match?
- What must i do to play under Hamachi (im afraid im asking this one because what Hamachi exactly does is not clear for me, sorry)? Or is it just that i install it and whenever i try to play other people Hamachi detects it and makes his work? Or maybe i must make a virtual LAN (using Hamachi) with the person im about to play? Just dont know

Hope someone can answer me cause i have played few games since i have the new computer, but i think in ALL of them i could not end it up because of link crashing in halftime (no computer crash, but link went to hell, always). And it ruins all the fun, totally Sad

Thanks in advance.
Quatters

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2007 - 04:16 Reply with quote Back to top

My computers drivers etc are all fully updated, but I'm having a problem where the game will freeze on my screen, yet continue on my opponents PC quite often. It only happens when someone gets KOed. But sometimes a KO doesn't result in this freeze up.

Anyone know any fixes or had similar problems?
LK_Myrik

Post   Posted: May 25, 2007 - 02:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I have the NetGear FA311 network adapter card... as soon as I hit half time, I crash... I've tried to update my driver, but I am running on Windows XP and the drivers have no instructions for XP... only Win 2000 and older.... anyone able to help?
VonKortez

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2007 - 20:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I had the halftime freeze problem. Bought a new LAN card (Sweex LC001, 10€, Realtek 8139 chipset) and everything is working fine now. Very Happy
 Jump to: