52 coaches online • Server time: 18:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post What happened?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jmac

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2003 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to see some kind of hot key or button in the client to save in the middle of your turn. This helps save time and also keeps those people that drop mid turn becuase something went wrong for their team to get away with it. What do you guys/gals think?
Calador

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2003 - 09:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it would be pretty nice.. And atleast make the game autosave AFTER the kickoff... It's annoying when people quit after you roll a nice Blitz.
Ixnatifual

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2003 - 10:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it should just automatically happen after a player on the moving team completes his move, as well as immediately after a turnover. That way you don't have to save manually all the time.
Calador

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2003 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

jmac's proposal is not a replacement of the autosave feature... It's a feature to enable a coach to force a save outside of the normal autosave-times.
jmac

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2003 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Calador wrote:
jmac's proposal is not a replacement of the autosave feature... It's a feature to enable a coach to force a save outside of the normal autosave-times.
Correct, what I propose will be most valuable when one person gets disconnected mid-turn. Then you don't really have to worry about making those tough tough rolls again to get back to the point you were at in your turn when he/she dropped from the game. Another benifit is that this will keep those pesky annoying quitters who drop mid-turn becuase something went wrong from getting away with it just to start the turn over fresh.

I think there may be a problem programming it to be in sync with the opponent. That being the case, I think the only way to do this is to have the person in control of the client at the time (i.e. the person who's turn it is) to save it manualy at any given time. Hopefuly Skijunkie will read this and offer his opinion.

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2003 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

He has chimed in numerous times before that the amount of coding would be inordinately large and (this next part is my assumption) potentially would break an awful lot of things. I think it's a wonderful idea, but I don't think it's coming anytime soon. Not while Ski still has a day job. Smile

If you think about it, the saves take place between turns because that's when there's the least amount of in-game information to keep track of.
What turn is it?
Where are all the players?
What's the state of each one?
What's the score?
How many ReRolls?
Apothecary used?
etc...

Once you try to save during a turn, you have to add in...
who has moved,
who is currently moving,
how far they have moved,
what skills they have used,
who's really stupid/boneheaded/etc...,
which actions have been used,
etc...

Now instead of adding the save code to the 'end turn' event, you're adding it to (and potentially screwing up) simple things like moving, dodging, throwing, blocking, etc...

Just the opinion of a schmuck on his lunch break. Take it with a grain of salt.

Jump to: