48 coaches online • Server time: 11:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2003 - 05:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Here are the percentage chances for rolling 2D6, so to beat a certain number just sum those below is or above it.

For example, your chance of beating AV8 normally is about 28% (11+8+6+3).

Code:
 2   2.78%
 3   5.56%
 4   8.33%
 5   11.11%
 6   13.89%
 7   16.67%
 8   13.89%
 9   11.11%
10   8.33%
11   5.56%
12   2.78%
DoubleSkulls

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2003 - 13:46 Reply with quote Back to top

A bit more comprehensive probabilities

Injuries

Blocking

Going For It
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2003 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I've got a chart made up in microsoft word if anyone wants it let me know. It details Percent chance to break av, injuries, casualties, ageing, knockdown odds with skills vs skills for one and two dice.

~Nightbird

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2003 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Does anyone actually play by the odds? And I mean strictly.
InkRose

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2003 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

HunterX wrote:
A friend of mine does. when we play, he's always talking like: "Now, do I block or do I go for the ball... the block fails only on a 1/9 chance, the ball handling on a 1/6... Block it is!"

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2003 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

InkRose wrote:
HunterX wrote:
A friend of mine does. when we play, he's always talking like: "Now, do I block or do I go for the ball... the block fails only on a 1/9 chance, the ball handling on a 1/6... Block it is!"
'

I do Smile however it usualy ends in frustration Crying or Very sad
Diamond5119

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2003 - 15:47 Reply with quote Back to top

If you play only by the odds, where is the fun in the game? Don't you thrive on taking risk once in a while, on the rush of succeeding? I play by the odds a little, since it is part of the game. But part of the game is also daring. When I make a daring move, often, i say :" ok, let s try this. The fearfull don t play this game!"
dinaturz

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2003 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

only playing against the odds you can receive the illumination!

ah, the joy of looking at the astonished opponent's face... Wink

marco

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2003 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I think playing my odds strictly is poor strategy. Positioning and importance of certain actions takes priority over good odds, i.e. scoring vs unimportant blocks.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2003 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

positioning just improve your odds.
azathoth_13

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2003 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

A healthy combination of playing the odds and risk taking seems the best. It's incredibly useful to know your chances of doing something, especially when you know how unlikely what you're doing will succeed.

And, as sourwyrm says with actions taking priority, remember: every time you roll, there is a chance of failure, so technically taking the important actions over the more 'probable' actions IS playing the odds.
DoubleSkulls

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2003 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

HunterX wrote:

You have to figure in the importance of actions to determine their priorities. For instance if a 3+ pickup is necessary to score and a block isn't then looking at the odds of failure is daft - because you wont win many games.

However towards the end of my turn (say the ball carrier has moved and is safe) and I've got a bunch of blocks to do I'll always try to do them in the safest order. So 2 dice with block 1st (I'd normally have done these already), then 2 dice without block, then 1 dice with block, then 1 dice without block etc.

Some coaches get a lot of enjoyment by trying risky plays, and if Nuffle is feeling generous pulling them off. Others (myself included) like to play the game more tactically and "work" the odds into their favour.
Mordachai

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2003 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I play by the odds... when appropriate. Always going for the safe bets aren't very good though, since that will make you play too defensive. When you have to take a chance you have to that chance... end of story.

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2003 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

sourwyrm wrote:
I think playing my odds strictly is poor strategy. Positioning and importance of certain actions takes priority over good odds, i.e. scoring vs unimportant blocks.

And, of course, you have to decide what "unimportant" means. If a game is tied on the very last turn, 2nd half, and you can waltz in for a score, there's really nothing worth doing but walking the ball in (assuming you play to win).

If, say, you were down 2-0 in turn 6, 2nd half, and you can waltz in for a score, you might want to throw a few high-percentage blocks first to possibly thin out the opposition for your miracle comeback. And maybe get some extra SPPs to boot, since you're almost surely not going to win anyway. The risk of getting no SPPs at all is there, but small.

Anyway, it's like others in the thread have said. Factor in the odds, the priority, and the game situation.

(This whole scenario isn't hypothetical, BTW. I was the one down 2-0 to sourwyrm and I threw 2 blocks first. No armour breaks, I scored, and ended up losing 2-1. I'd probably play it the same way again.)
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2003 - 23:02 Reply with quote Back to top

My bad, the document I made up is in microsoft works format rather than word. For what it's worth I think a combination of odds and risk is essential as is positioning and tactics.

~Nightbird

Jump to: