36 coaches online • Server time: 11:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jael

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2003 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay..

I think the problem of the rebooting lies in the Java JRSE.

The reason, was I was trying to install 1.4.2 and I recieved a message stating that I needed to update my windows OS. While I was installing however, something peculiar happened: During installation my Computer Rebooted much like blood bowl! This indicated to me that it wasn't a unique problem with Blood Bowl (java) but with the actual JAVA run-time software environment. Something in there is causing the system to reboot.

I downloaded ALL the updates for Win 2000k (SP4) and software patches for windows (unix bugs fixes etc), and I was successful in installing 1.4.2 without any more messages.

I then tried to play and there has been limited success. I no longer reboot after every touchdown scored but ONLY at halftime. so there is improvement, however there is no cure (i am afraid)

As for Hardware, I think there's also something with the particular network cards or software that CAUSES the the JAVA software to reboot, but nothing is actually WRONG with the NIC or driver. It's just some incompatibility with JAVA software. (which ties in to this whole theory)

Not being familiar with programming languages, is there someone that can write some code that will alleviate this problem? Some code in the JAVA JSRE is being called (in the game) and causing the system to reboot during touchdowns and halftime.

Well... anyhow, in the meantime, I'm gonna try some other Nic cards,

:::: update::::
I tried a Realtek nic card, and it works perfect.
mr_sanity

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2003 - 03:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I was having a similar problem with JavaBowl rebooting after halftime or at the end of the game. There IS a solution that does not involve using new hardware.

First the reason why the OS (2K and XP) is rebooting is not directly because of JavaBowl. The OS is masking the real problem. Basically, any time you have a serious crash, the default behavior is to reboot your system (thereby hiding the BSOD). You can (optionally) turn this behavior off by:

1) right click My Computer
2) select Properties
3) select Advanced
4) select Settigns under Startup and Recovery
5) deselect Automatically restart under System Failure

Now if your system crashes due to JavaBowl (or any other program), you'll get an error screen telling you (in cryptic terms) what went wrong.

Now, for many people the cause of the crash (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) is network card drivers that are not 100% up-to-date.

The following is shamelessly stolen from http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/#freeze
Quote:

Some network cards and DSL modems have buggy drivers. Common symptoms include a blue screen (with a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error) or a spontaneous reboot. Here are some common culprits:

* Linksys LNE100TX model 5, Linksys NC100, Skymaster SK1207E, Planex FNW-9803-T, or any other network card based on the AN983B chipset by ADMtek, sometimes also sold under the no-name "Asound" or "Fast" brands. Note that this includes some motherboards' built-in Ethernet controllers, such as: MSI (Microstar) MS-6378, DFI NS70-EL & AZ30-EL, USI PM-845, Fujitsu D1451. The solution seems to be to install one of the following drivers from ADMtek: Windows XP, Windows ME/2000, Windows 98. These are drivers from the chipset manufacturer and are Microsoft certified. Use these drivers in place of any other driver for those cards, including the latest version from Linksys.
* Netgear FA311 - Try this version -1.30- of the drivers from Netgear.
* Netgear FA312 - Seems to have the same problem as the FA311, but try this version -1.8- of the drivers instead. (Note that this driver should work with both the FA311 and FA312, so also try it if you have the FA311 and the above driver doesn't work.)
* Alcatel Speed Touch USB DSL modem - Install these drivers.

If your network interface card (NIC) or DSL/cable modem were not listed above, then check with the manufacturer's website and make sure you have the latest drivers.

EDIT: the old step 5 was mis-worded. It should start deselect, not select.

Last edited by mr_sanity on Jul 01, 2003 - 04:19; edited 1 time in total
SkiJunkie

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2003 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks to both of you guys. I was pretty sure I was not doing anything particularly strange in the code. I have been assuming a JRE or hardware or hardware driver problem. I think I will add this to the readme.txt file. Thanks guys, I have never been able to test with the problem, as I use win98 and winNT.

Mirror - http://javabbowl.no-ip.org
Mirror - http://home.austin.rr.com/javabbowl
foxx

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2003 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

my game crashes after each of my touchdowns too....it's windows ME with the 1.4.2 java program....can't seem to fix it. The game crashes, and my computer seems to go into standby mode, which it never sucessfully recovers from.

My wife's PC has 2000 running with the same JAVA program, and it never crashes. SHe has reboot on crash selected and all, but it works fine. Any ideas (She won't let me play on hers!)
Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2003 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Use linux sweeties Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2003 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I have the exact card mentioned below, installed the recommended ADM driver, and all my problems went away. Thanks Mr, Sanity (shamelessly stolen or not)

"* Linksys LNE100TX model 5, Linksys NC100, Skymaster SK1207E, Planex FNW-9803-T, or any other network card based on the AN983B chipset by ADMtek, sometimes also sold under the no-name "Asound" or "Fast" brands. Note that this includes some motherboards' built-in Ethernet controllers, such as: MSI (Microstar) MS-6378, DFI NS70-EL & AZ30-EL, USI PM-845, Fujitsu D1451. The solution seems to be to install one of the following drivers from ADMtek: Windows XP, Windows ME/2000, Windows 98. |""* Linksys LNE100TX model 5, Linksys NC100, Skymaster SK1207E, Planex FNW-9803-T, or any other network card based on the AN983B chipset by ADMtek, sometimes also sold under the no-name "Asound" or "Fast" brands. Note that this includes some motherboards' built-in Ethernet controllers, such as: MSI (Microstar) MS-6378, DFI NS70-EL & AZ30-EL, USI PM-845, Fujitsu D1451. The solution seems to be to install one of the following drivers from ADMtek: Windows XP, Windows ME/2000, Windows 98. "
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2003 - 21:00
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

SkiJunkie wrote:
I was pretty sure I was not doing anything particularly strange in the code.

Nothing you do from within the VM should _ever_ crash a machine. Smile

Given the places where it shows up and the IRQ related error message, I am guessing it happens when the CPU utilization is high and you try to send lots of (small) packages over the card. Could possibly be heavy graphic updating as well.

Either way, good investigating and I'm glad someone found some info on this subject.
MattiasF

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2003 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
SkiJunkie wrote:
I was pretty sure I was not doing anything particularly strange in the code.

Nothing you do from within the VM should _ever_ crash a machine. Smile

Exactly what I was about to comment. And then I got to thinking... Yes, this is sure true for applets runig within the security sandbox, and so forth.

Im dont think its impossible to crach the OS from an application(which the JBB is). Not that I belive that SkiJunkie does anything of this of course. And if he did, his quite bad at it, as it works for most of us Smile

One idea that popped to mind is to fill (yes really fill) the HD. I know that NT have a real problem with that. It is also very possible to delete various files, or .dll:s. Can Windows handle that without crashing?
tddelsol

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2003 - 05:59 Reply with quote Back to top

um i have the reboot problem and it seems you guys have fixed yours but i only have no idea what a nic or a os is so if some one could please release "touchdown restart for dummies" it would be greatly apprecieted.
cusi

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2003 - 06:13 Reply with quote Back to top

os = operating system nic = network interface card

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2003 - 06:42 Reply with quote Back to top

ty but that still doesn't keep my comp from rebooting
whitey

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2003 - 07:10 Reply with quote Back to top

even if you update your network card driver?
Claus_Raasted

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2004 - 02:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I've read this too before posting. Sadly, it seems that AMDTEK isn't really avaiable at the moment. Wink

Claus
Who tried their webpage several times
Christer

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2004 - 02:56
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

As a last resort, you can always go out and buy a new NIC. The ne2000 compatibles are very cheap (~$10 - $15) and I've never heard anyone have trouble with those. I have some realtek ne2k cards that work perfectly fine for me.
Nighteye

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2004 - 02:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok. I have this problem and its driving me crazy. I use a D-Link DFE-680TX Cardbus Nic and according to the hardwarespecs it uses the AN985L Lan chipset. I looked around on ADMTeks site and found a driver for the AN985B chipset, i tried it, but i couldnt get my card to work with it, i wouldnt start (error code 10). Does anyone has an idea as to what i can do to fix it. Ive already DL'ed the latest available driver from D.-Links site, it still crashes now and then.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steven
 Jump to: