12 coaches online • Server time: 05:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
worto03

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2003 - 14:43 Reply with quote Back to top

first of all sorry if this is a dull question but I'm new here.

I've played 5 games so far but only against other people I know from another on-line game, how do I go about finding a similar team to mine to play against.

I'm not worried about good coaches (I can learn a lot from a good beating) but I don't want my new team to come up against a team with 20 star players and extra skills coming out of thier ears.

I know I can look at individual coaches rosters & challenge them but is there a quicker way or a good tournament to enter for rookies ? I had a look in the FAO and they were trying to explain the chatbot thing to me but I didn't quite understand if that matches me up with just anybody hanging about or if the numbers it spews out give me some indication of what I want to know.

Do most of you only play teams similar in experiance to your own or will you take anybody on regardless of how much better\worse thier tesm is to yours ?

Oh dear I seem to have rabbled on a lot now, thanks for any answers,
worto.
dinaturz

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2003 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I try to play at my best against every opponent.
That means I usually accept all the challanges/proposals.

Of course it's not funny to play against a team 50+ tr/str than yours, but you can ask the strength of opponent's team before starting the match and decline with no shame, if you don't feel confortable with that.

marco

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2003 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

most games are found using the irc chatroom. the Bowlbot you speak of is a program that runs in there.
Moekel

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2003 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

"I know I can look at individual coaches rosters & challenge them but is there a quicker way or a good tournament to enter for rookies ? I had a look in the FAO and they were trying to explain the chatbot thing to me but I didn't quite understand if that matches me up with just anybody hanging about or if the numbers it spews out give me some indication of what I want to know. "

well you gotta try the chatbot thing..
people will be makeing offerings to play all the time in the channel.. you will see their teams / tr / strength
then you can decide if you want to play somebody or not... i always have fumbbl open at the same time.. that way you can see if the what exactly the skills on his team are and anything else you want to know...
LurkingGrue

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2003 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

The chatbot (BowlBot) doesn't match you up with anyone, it's just providing you information to help make the choice you're trying to make.

I usually try to play teams within 10 points of my team strength and rating, though I focus on strength; usually when the strength is close and the rating radically different I take a look at the roster to see why and decide whether I want to play the team (taking a look at the roster's generally not a bad idea anyhow).

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2003 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks a lot for the answers I think between you thats every thing I wanted to know, I'll have another crack at the chat bot tonight then.

once again - Thanks,
worto.
Glimpf

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I am new and need 2 fight with som1 that has been playing for long but has just got a new team.

P.S. how many players do u need in a team?
Calamir

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

You should have at least 11 players because that's how many you can field at the same time.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

To create a team on FUMBBL, you need to have at least 11 players permanently on the roster. I think (but I'm not certain... anyone help out here?) that technically LRB rules allow you to have 9 permanent players and 2 freebooters (for example), but it's generally a pretty daft idea anyway, so not much of a loss.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think that you are allowed to start with 9 players, since the team creation section (page 17 of the LRB: "...your
team must have at least 11 players..."

Hiring freebooters only comes later, when starting a match, so to make a created team legal, it has to have 11 players. I agree with BadMrMojo that it's daft to start with less even if you were allowed to, anyway.
 Jump to: