14 coaches online • Server time: 03:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
azathoth_13

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2003 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I wasn't sure where to post this........
Is there a flaw in the Strength rating system?

I recently played this game:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=150564

granted, the team ratings varied greatly, but I looked at the strength, and figured it would be a fairly reasonable game.

Look at his team's players and mine, and you tell me, i just genuinely want to know: HOW were our team ratings differeing by only 4 points? it doesn't seem POSSIBLE.
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2003 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

A) Niggling injuries suck a lot away from strength, imo more than they should.
B) You were playing with a ST above your TR and the other team was playing below, this is a situation that requires care. When I am in that situation (happens to amazons a lot) I tend to pay more attention to TR than ST
C) Simple solution: the numbers are a guideline and a starting point. I still almost always look at the opposing roster first.
azathoth_13

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 09:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Good advice Psikobunny, thanks very much Smile
Behrooz

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2003 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

That was a fairly reasonable game-- you just had an unlucky death when he shoved your guy into the stands... and conceded un-necessarily on turn 4 when you still had an excellent chance of staying in the game.

Work on avoiding needless turnovers (like that GFI turn 2/3) and getting the ball downfield as fast as you can, and you'll do a lot better-- dark elves aren't a strength team.
swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2003 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't forget azathoth that you had 4 RRs to his 2. Further the luck was something like 25 to 70 right? While the luck-o-meter is hardly a perfect indicator that is a big difference.
vandalheart

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2003 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Well my chaos pact teams st was higher about 22 pints than rating so I think we should better look at rating than st.
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2003 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Vandal, your chaos pact team has several stat increases, including 2 +1 str, and a one turner. Of course there str is higher than ther tr. Tr doesn't take into account little details like exceptional skill rolls or having a one turner. I think anyone who looks at this team will agree that there str is about dead on accurate.

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2003 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

but then i have had games where the luckometer tells me my luck was 60+ even though i lost badly due to all the important rolls being utter botches even with rr,

as for Tr/ts try to look for a close match up on both Ts is relative power but is somewhat inacc as niggles sap too much and it dosnt quite handle large teams brilliantly, it also puts far too much value on a reroll (why amazons almost always end up with insane ts)
Tr is a measure of how much cash and spp have been sunk into a team, if its a 207/103 team then that means okay yes it has roughly the same chance as a newish team but it will almost always have an apoth and high end skills and abilities dripping off players, its almost a garuntee that at least one player on the high tr team will be sickeningly gross

you just have to be careful and always check a roster that reports like that

XXXtreme ball with added XX
Jared

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2003 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

IMHO ts would be a better measure if it was base calc the same as TR with negapoints for having Niggling injuries and stat losses, plus the subtraction of the value of any player not playing next match, that way TS would always be less than or equal to the TR and give a measure of how much of that TR is gonna be there

XXXtreme ball with added XX
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2003 - 00:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Jared wrote:
but then i have had games where the luckometer tells me my luck was 60+ even though i lost badly due to all the important rolls being utter botches even with rr

Not to put to fine a point on it, but well, duh. Smile The luck meter obviously has no way of telling what rolls are important and what rolls are not, it is simply a base average of how often you make your rolls, regardless of the outcome of the turn as a whole.

The Finishing Touch
Zhluhur

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2003 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it possible to change the strengh calculation for Wild Animals?
Look at my skaventeam. My ratogre has value of 17ST obvious because of his MA7 and AG3. But due to the new WA rules, he'll never use any of them. The first two skills are wasted and not worth to be used after he WA update. Maybe this should be stated in the strengh calculation.