54 coaches online • Server time: 23:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Cindy is back?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MightyQuinn

Post   Posted: May 13, 2006 - 05:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I am working on an idea, but really lack graphics smarts... I probably have access to every graphic program, just dont know how to use them and am trying to get my idea done...

On my Web Site is an example of what I am trying the field to look like, its more the layout I am trying for...

Now I like the fields I put on the Web Page, very sorry for not giving credit to who did them as I downloaded hundreds of fields from various sites...

http://www.acollectingfool.com/olbbl/Fields2.htm

This is a field for real life and I dont like the endzones at the end as we sit at the ends and the figures in the reserve, ko and injury boxes will get in our way... What I am trying to do, the reserve box on the left will go on the top right side so the steps enter the field just about the right endzone... And vice verse for the left side...

I put the turn marker & reroll counter above the dugouts, it just didnt look right when the turnmark / Rerolls was between the dugout and the field...

What are your thoughts on the dugout, turnmarker & Rerolls going the inwards for both sides ???

I have a home made field http://acollectingfool.com/olbbl/myfield.jpg but it was made of 2x2 inch tiles and is attached to a piece of sheet metal, weighing about 100lbs... A treeman can lay down and not affect any other square around it Smile But this field is too heavy to move so i am working on another idea...

Whatcha think ???
Colin

Post   Posted: May 13, 2006 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

A few of us have designed pitch graphics for use with the client. However, few/any of us have prepared them in a high enough resolutions that would look good printed - 150dpi for a pitch that measures even a normal-sized field would be a substantial file - 24 * 150 x 14 * 150 = 3600 x 2100 pixels at least; the client uses fields a small fraction of that size. To avoid copyright issues, designing a completely new pitch using original textures might be the way to go:

Go out and shoot the back lawn (or gravel, moss, mud - use your imagination) with your digicam, then reduce and tile the images on a big file (work out the dimensions you will need to achieve at between 150 - 300 dpi beforehand), then use layers to overlay the line markings (which you can then reuse on different textures - I wish I'd used layers on my pitches). Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Corel Photopaint etc. are all suitable, as is the open-source (i.e. free) Gimp, and the free Pixia is worth a try also (many different version translated from the original Japanese).

A note on doing upscaled pitches, either printed or hand-made: make sure you scale up the Passing template by the same ratio. It's the only one that needs to be resized.

* dpi=dots(pixels) per inch.
* 1 dpi = .39 pixels per cm

Post   Posted: May 13, 2006 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Ffrom the information I have gathered so far, using a "Vector Based" program, I can enlarge without the picture getting fuzzy...

I have access to fireworks, dreamweaver, flash and many others...
xstatika

Post   Posted: May 13, 2006 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I think... that it is funny that you have a Blood Bowl poster on your wall. What do women say when you pick up?
Colin

Post   Posted: May 13, 2006 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

MightyQ wrote:
Ffrom the information I have gathered so far, using a "Vector Based" program, I can enlarge without the picture getting fuzzy...

I have access to fireworks, dreamweaver, flash and many others...

Vector based apps are for producing non-jaggy line-based art (such as any graphic designer would use for company logos and such), but would be no use for texture-based art; that's if you want your pitch to have any pattern on it. I suppose you could do the grass texture in a bitmap package and then import it into or print over it with a vector app (Corel Draw, Illustrator, Freehand etc.), where you could do the lines and logos. I believe some or all of those have had their bitmap handling capabilities improved in recent years. If you do the bitmap big enough to start with, you don't need vectors.

Most importantly - use the app you are most at home with, and like the interface of. In the creative process, the last thing you want to get in your way are your tools. Have fun Wink

Post   Posted: May 13, 2006 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey i have that shelving unit, ikea right? Smile

Post   Posted: May 13, 2006 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

xstatika wrote:
I think... that it is funny that you have a Blood Bowl poster on your wall. What do women say when you pick up?

let's Play Smile
MightyQuinn

Post   Posted: May 14, 2006 - 00:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Colin wrote:

Vector based apps are for producing non-jaggy line-based art (such as any graphic designer would use for company logos and such), but would be no use for texture-based art; that's if you want your pitch to have any pattern on it. I suppose you could do the grass texture in a bitmap package and then import it into or print over it with a vector app (Corel Draw, Illustrator, Freehand etc.), where you could do the lines and logos. I believe some or all of those have had their bitmap handling capabilities improved in recent years. If you do the bitmap big enough to start with, you don't need vectors.

Most importantly - use the app you are most at home with, and like the interface of. In the creative process, the last thing you want to get in your way are your tools. Have fun Wink

I took a copy of a field that someone did for a the cleint to this printer and he told me if I blew that up, it wouldnt look right, I need to use a vector base program like fireworks, which I have access too...

The graphic Program I use most (Photo Suite) dont have the tools to do this...
MightyQuinn

Post   Posted: May 14, 2006 - 00:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Fribbler wrote:
Hey i have that shelving unit, ikea right? Smile

That shelving unit is plastic, from Wal-mart or K-Mart, Ikea stuff is mainly wood Smile
Tallmaris

Post   Posted: May 14, 2006 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Why don't you use some artificial moss for the field, instead of printing?

You can also use some cotton, mixed with glue (the white slimy one, vinavil is called in italy), and then spray paint it green... you can add skulls from minis and stuff like that

Math and alcohol don't mix well... please don't drink and derive
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: May 14, 2006 - 01:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey I have that cat, named poezepoes right? Wink
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: May 14, 2006 - 02:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I bought this pitch last year for A$200. Absolute bargain and a great pitch to play on.

Since I have bought it, the grass wears naturally where the mini's spend the most time. Therefore the LoS is now faded to a brown area and the backfield near the endzones have also worn... amazing effect.

Of course the pitch will eventually wear too badly to play on, but he has that covered by the fact that the field pops out and I have two more fields to go in.

The field is that Warhammer grass stuff you buy in sheets stuck down. As I said, it looks pristine and fake at first, but the natural wear gives it a great look.

You can see this wearing effect a bit here

My point is dont try to print a field, they look better "made".
MightyQuinn

Post   Posted: May 14, 2006 - 02:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Tallmaris wrote:
Why don't you use some artificial moss for the field, instead of printing?

You can also use some cotton, mixed with glue (the white slimy one, vinavil is called in italy), and then spray paint it green... you can add skulls from minis and stuff like that

I play heroclix which uses maps... I got the idea from running so many tournaments and now going to NAF tournaments for Blood Bowl that it would be nicer to have a field to play on that is big enough to place a big guy without affecting the other squares around it... My home made field, which was spraid with texture paint is too heavy to carry around, plus with the field being blown up to where the sqaures are more like 1 1/2 x 1 1/2, being able to roll up, wont cost much to mass produce, and since it's graphics, I can make a field for every race I play with their team names in the endzone and race emblem in the middle of the field and will be much easier to carry around from tournament to tournament...
MightyQuinn

Post   Posted: May 14, 2006 - 02:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej wrote:
Hey I have that cat, named poezepoes right? Wink

Her name was tiger Sad She lived to be 20...
 Jump to: