46 coaches online • Server time: 18:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MickeX

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2003 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Have you ever noticed how much longer your opponents turns seem to be whenever they're lucky / you've made a really stupid move / they simply outplay you? Very Happy

Normally, I'm very patient though. BB is often a very interesting game, and I haven't got any problems with opponents who take their time to make sure they get it right. Especially when they've gotten themself into trouble on the pitch. I play here partly to improve my BB-skills, so I prefer opponents taking their time to those who play sloppy (and then claim they have bad luck!).
Jugular

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2003 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem of lag and disconnects can be solved through the software. I remember poiting this out last time this topic came up but noone replied. I play Go and use a program called CGoban, this program tries and i think succeeds in getting around lag problems. Obviously the game of go relies on time restrictions just as Chess or other complex board games. I have often played and waited say 2 mins for an opponent to play and the timer on my screen shows tis and counts down accordingly. However with the lag problems whats has happened is the opponent has waited for say 10 seconds before my move has registered at his terminal and then thought about his move for 1:40 and then it's taken another 10 seconds to arrive at my terminal. The clock at my erminal then takes 20 seconds off the actual time passing to allow for the lag difference. I believe this is a similar system to the CS command pushlatency I don't see this as being an easy thing to implement but maybe somethign to think about. The problem with Side Step is easily solved just by pausing the clock until the opponent decides. Also with moving away from the comp, easy to solve, either you have an add time command usable by ur opponent or a command in which you ask for a pause from ur opponent and when it is accepted it pauses at the time it was asked for. If declined you may give say 10-20 seconds for vital moves ot be made. If there is interest by SkiJunkie in adding this type of functionallity (and i know it'd take alot of programming) then I'd suggest he takes a look at programs like CGoban2 for inspiration.
Mordachai

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2003 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Jugular - which server are you on? KGS? and under what name? Jugular?