63 coaches online • Server time: 21:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Synn

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 07:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Find yourself facing down a horde full of DPs?

Wanna learn how to avoid getting fouled?

Not going to happen! There is no way you can completely avoid getting fouled, especially if your opponent has cheap dirty players running around.

The key to playing against DP loaded teams (2 or more…. Certain players are better foulers than others…) is positioning. With proper tactics, you can minimize your opponent’s boots and be able to walk out of the game with only “normal” BB wear and tear. This article will take you through the calculations of a “fouler” and help you survive against teams that are built around fouling. This article is by no means Everything you need to know, but can serve as a good basis on which to test the waters.

We assume here that foulers are bashers meaning they have high strength and low movement. Typical races would include Khemri, Orcs, Norse, CDs, Undead, and Necros. Also, for the purpose of this article, we are assuming that the fouler you are playing is a “logical” fouler. A logical fouler fouls to win the game. These are not individuals feeling like a loss is somehow worth 12 fouls. Look at the match record. Enough on that…

First thing that needs to be considered is what kind of positioning skills your team has. Here are skills that will fit the category:

Side Step
Frenzy
Tentacles
Leap
Prehensile Tail
Diving Tackle
Stand Firm****

These skills let you control the pitch. Being able to block off certain parts of the pitch or certain guys for moving is a powerful ability. These skills can make or break you in the type of match that “foulers” bring.

Game time! You find yourself facing off against a healthy version of Fluffy Kittens and More! Knowing that the evil SOB across the pitch from you has a winning group of foulers, you know that he has intentions of removing certain players on your team in order to win. You NEED to know which guys your opponent wants to remove! Sometimes it is fairly academic. We tend to refer to these as “No _____” players.

Example: A Malthorian Wardancer.

If this hits the ground near a DP than you GOT to assume he will get fouled. Most teams don’t have a player like this. So instead….. look for key guys.

Typical “High Value” players tend to include:

Safe Throwing Throwers
Annoying fast guarders (fast means faster than your opponent)
People with a stat increase
ANY Big Guy

These “better” players need to be protected and used carefully in order to ensure your win and therefore their survival.

Here is a little tip for defense.

Tactic: Spread like Goatse

This is where you position your guys covering the squares straddling the wide zone. Foulers keep their guys bunched and are more likely to either focus completely on one side, or split their guys up. Either one gives you a chance to withdraw for survival.

Bear in mind that unless a “high level” target is on the line, some foulers won’t go postal on a LoS guy. If you put a big guy there…expect a boot. But LoS guys are not going to force you to apoth and the basher doesn’t mind them there for now.

On defense against a fouler, you got to assume that this team wants to take the whole half beating you up. That’s fine…it means you got some time to get his team in horrid positioning. Keep yourself between them and end zone and bait him to get spread out. If not, keep back and wait till he does. Where ever your high value targets land is where you can expect the foul to come. So use screeners and side step to keep yourself falling next to friends. Their TZs will cancel foul assists (note: in FUMBBL guard does not work for fouling assists. This is a solid difference).

Since foulers love to get that DP modifier to injury, expect fouls to require lots of players. Eventually the ballcarrier will either find himself next to the foul victim or with a lot fewer friends around him. Now is your chance to strike. Go for the ball to either pop it loose or delay him in scoring. All you need to do is stop him from scoring in the last two turns. If you scare him into scoring early….. all the better for you! You get a chance to enter the second half tied.

Remember that a fouler that needs all 11 players for things like “blocking”, the “ball”, “screening”, etc. are is a fouler without a spare person to foul with. Keep his DPs engaged in the game and they can’t engage your skull with their foot. This is the best way to keep your team alive.

Anyone else want to add some?

Blood on the pitch,
__Synn
Synn

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 07:27 Reply with quote Back to top

By the way...... i would rather have 2 elven DPs than 10 Zombie DPs....

__Synn
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 07:29 Reply with quote Back to top

yes...

i'd like to add that coaches like zerkalo and Diabl0658 would do themselves a favor by reading this

(oh and to prevent anyone from trying to bust my jewels and try to get me banned...it's not intended for a personal attack, it's a hint that some coaches need to be educated on how to properly foul, instead of thinking that fouling every turn is a positive thing)

--j

ImageImage
Synn

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 07:36 Reply with quote Back to top

For you "bashier" teams trying to avoid getting fouled...

Be careful about your SF guys. Stand Firm players probably die more from fouls than any other player.

Mabey besides Minos.....

__Synn
**Who likes BBQ?
soerenkepler

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 09:04 Reply with quote Back to top

If you dont wanna take the fight to the heavy foulin team - just dont foul back. It just helps him trading his inexpensive (zombie) dps for one of ur positionals.
When the Ref is watching there is a 50 percent chance that he´ll get a player ejected. With the average 2d6 roll of 7+2 for dp (ie 9), you should only get a KO. Sometimes worse, sometimes better Smile.
I haven´t run the numbers, but it feels like an equal trade-off. Except that ur player on average should only get a KO, where his player is likely to go away away for the rest of the match.
Webbe

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 09:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I've nothing to say about the post in all, it may be good for some I guess but I just need to correct an error.

Synn wrote:
Their TZs will cancel foul assists (note: in FUMBBL guard does not work for fouling assists. This is a solid difference).

Guard has never changed, it has always worked for blocks only, it's not a fumbbl thing.

btw soeren: if you still got your coach it's 41.7% to be sent off with the eye on you and with max assists you get 27.8% stuns, 30.6% KO and 41.7% cas on a dp foul so your tactic isn't good on it's own.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 09:44 Reply with quote Back to top

And remember: if possible, ALWAYS foul first when playing Synn and other evil gits like him Cool

As said, you need numbers to be effective with the fouls, so anything you remove from the pitch will mean more chances to eventually outnumber them in the important places in the field.

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 09:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Webbe wrote:
btw soeren: if you still got your coach it's 41.7% to be sent off with the eye on you and with max assists you get 27.8% stuns, 30.6% KO and 41.7% cas on a dp foul so your tactic isn't good on it's own.

So there you have the numbers and I stand corrected Smile.
Peace
Diabl0658

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
yes...

i'd like to add that coaches like zerkalo and Diabl0658 would do themselves a favor by reading this

(oh and to prevent anyone from trying to bust my jewels and try to get me banned...it's not intended for a personal attack, it's a hint that some coaches need to be educated on how to properly foul, instead of thinking that fouling every turn is a positive thing)

--j

shadow, how would you know how good/bad i foul? you should atleast play my khemri first before making any comments about them

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2006 - 03:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, Maybe I should write an "Offense with multiple Dp's." It would sound like a poem. I would foul with the ref...
johan

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2006 - 03:49 Reply with quote Back to top

There was an old official ruleset where the ref was playable by a third player. There were a number of refs to play... one had a chainsaw.

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
 Jump to: