14 coaches online • Server time: 05:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
leeleepad

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2004 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

i am new to the website and this java thing. i download java and javabowl and patch .(I think i downloaded the correct ones). winzipped the three files and tried to do what the readme files said to do but nothing is happening. Could someone please walk me through step by step( like a book java and javabowl set up for dummies) Laughing . i would really love to play this game . thanks for your time and hope to play a game with you soon

thanks
ron

p.s. i didnt know what one to post this in so i put it in here sorry if it was the wrong spot.
sothys

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2004 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Would be help full if you descriped the circumstances.. "nothing happens" wont do it Wink

Have you tried starting a game ? Do you start manually or from the website? What messages do you get ?

Personally i have a problem that i cant start from the website. i belive that might be your problem. What you need to do is, go to you bloodbowl dir. c:\bBowl if you are on windows and followed the instructions. Lauch with the "bloodbowl" file. if nothing happens still, you might want to right click on it, and choose "properties" and see if it points to the correct spot for javaw.exe.

If you run on win2k it wont be pointing to the right place. this is how i set mine "C:\Winnt\System32\javaw.exe -jar bbowl.jar"

to find out where your javaw.exe is just search for it in windows. in case your not used to computers (not trying to make a fool of you, but i dont know you, so im gonna explain to you as if you know nothing, take what you need, and ignore the rest Smile

click start --> search --> files and whatnot --> type in "javaw.exe" (without the quotes) right click on the file it finds, choose properties, and write down where its placed on your computer, write that in you bloodbowl.exe file with -jar -bbowl.jar after it.

should look like this "c:\where\ever\it\might\be\javaw.exe -jar - bbowl.jar"

Then doubble click bloodbowl file, when it starts up, enter options, and look to the bottum right corner, there will be a option called "Fumbbl login" make sures its checked with one of them checkmark thingies. close the options window and makes start a stand alone game, once it starts just close the client (this ensures that it saves your changes in options.

Now try and launch a game from the site, see what happens, if it does'nt start now, i dont know what to do. Since mine wont start either from the homepage.

i launch manually, just start the client from the bloodbowl.exe file, and choose either "net server" or "net client" depending on what you agreed to with your oppoment on irc. Type in the proxy you desided to use, and the server you desided to use.

server: fumbbl.com port: 8881

alt server: chickenbrainds.dyndns.com port: 6667 or something

theese two servers might be wrong, ask your oppoment for server/port. or check up on it yourself.

hope this helps you get startet. have fun mate

/Sothys
leeleepad

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2004 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

i am running windows xp .when you say double click the bloodbowl file (bloodbowl shortcut?).i have gotten to downloading the files and then tryig to double click that file (it says "the drive or network connection that the shortcut 'bloodbowl.ink' refers to is unavalable. make sure that the disk is properly nserted or the network resourses is available, and then try agian) thats as far as i get
kjwise

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2004 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

You have to install the java 1.3 runtime!
My guess, you downloaded it but forgot to install Very Happy
banana_fish900

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2004 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I get this message too, sometimes the way your files are mapped, the shortcut won't fly. If you right click on the .jar file, you should be able to "open" with the java runtime environment (sometimes winzip programs will attempt to open .jar archives instead of letting your java 1.3 runtime execute them. Pain in the butt).
leeleepad

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2004 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

i went to the java website and downloaded this file and then installed it (j2re-1_4_2_03-windows-i586-p-iftw) it iinstalled it on computer where i didnt get a chance to put it in a folder it did it by itself is that the right program from java?
Xone

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2004 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Could try clicking on the bbowl.jar or changing the target path for the Bloodbowl shortcut.
leeleepad

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2004 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

hey guys i got it to work the shortcut was going to c:\winnt\etc. in rename the path c:\windows
thanks guys for everything now to figure out the next steps thanks agian
 Jump to: