12 coaches online • Server time: 05:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
StoneAge

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2004 - 07:45 Reply with quote Back to top

OS X 10.3.2 and JavaBBowl-7.2a

1) I can't spectate a game from the site when I try I get

213.113.143.192/213.113.143.192

Spectator trying connection...

Could not connect to server.

2) I can't run the java chat app I get

Java.Security.AccessControlException

Are there any tricks to this that are not documented

P.s. Could the firewall that I am behind be causing these problems.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2004 - 08:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I have no idea StoneAge, but when you do get up and running, make sure you sign up for the Aussie league on Fumbbl titled "Southern Wastes League" or SWL.

Group address is http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=647

And there are a number of Forum threads in the Tournaments section.

Cheers (and good luck)
Clay
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2004 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

My guess would be the firewall. Make sure ports 8085 and 8086 are open and... er...

Did I mention ports 8085 and 8086?

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2004 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

thought i could hijack this thread since, after moving to my girlfriend's place i found out that while the client was running it is slow as hell on her mac with turns that would have taken me half a minute on my PC taking 3 minutes and more which is no fun at all Sad
the mac is a 500 mhz powerPC G3 with 640 mb sdram so i doubt that it really is the hardware (but what do i know about macs...)
thanks for helping...
StoneAge

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2004 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Tried it from my other account and not having the problem now.

I think it was the firewall they have it locked up as tight as a drum
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Ugh. Glad it's resolved, at least. I knew it wasn't a problem with your mac, that's un-possible! Wink

Er... so on to Kommando... oops. Any details on the type of mac (older iMac or iBook, right?), OS version, JRE, .jar or .app or ... er... anything? I've only ever played on my G4 (older 450 at work with less RAM, but no performance woes there).

It might just be that Apple's JRE is poorly optimized for G3s, which would indeed suck.

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Computer: iMac
Cpu: PowerPC 750
Mac OS Version: X 10.3.2
JRE: 1.4.1
what .jar or .app might be i have no idea Smile
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, looks like you already have the updated JRE (and not the craptacular Developer version that I have and can't get rid of because I'm a dumbass...) and your OS is completely up to date. That's good. I know Panther was supposed to peform better on older machines, so I think it's probably a Java-specific thing. Not sure what you can do from that angle...

As far as the .jar/.app thing, you might want to try to download the patch from my .sig. It's basically just SkiJunkie's code that's repackaged as an OS X application and I believe that it handles memory issues differently because of the wrapper. If that makes no sense it's because I'm not actually a developer and I really don't know my arse from my elbow... I just figured out a neat trick for mac users so I'm sharing it.

Just download the patch and unzip it on your desktop (or wherever). Then you can just drag the "JavaBBowl-7.2b" file into your "Bbowl" folder and use that instead of "Bbowl.jar".

I don't have any empirical data or anything, but the .app version just feels a little more responsive and stable. Also, I know it at least fixes the annoying issue where your opponent's rerolls don't show on the screen. Give it a shot and let me know how if works, if you'd be so kind.

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

thanks for your help mister...
i did what you said and it seems (only tried it in stand alone though but shouldnt make a difference) that it really has speeded up quite a bit, now my average turn was 1-1.5 minutes compared to the 3+ before (eek)... not quite my old performance but much better than what it was so thanks a lot, i can get back to playing now Smile
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2004 - 04:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Kommando wrote:
mister...

I feel so old!

Just glad to hear that it's running well for you.

Jump to: