69 coaches online • Server time: 20:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jugular

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Is this not a pretty pointless change to make though Force? I remember playing BB for most of my life without aging I'm pretty sure we have enough info and experience of what BB is like without aging. MAking a whole new league just to test one idea is of course a silly suggestion. However I have picked up that you have rather alot of ideas which you decide should be tested for the 'benefit of all' in a very 'I know whats best for us all' kind of way. In which case having ur own league with which to try out all these changes might be the best option. This site is run by a few people who have specific aims and ideas of their own. They cannot bend to the whimsy of every member nor to every member that argues incessantly about their ideas. Making suggestions can make a difference (some of the suggestions i have made have been implemented much to my surprise) but if it is rebuked get over it or satisfy your curiosity on your own site.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Careful, Jugular, calling it pointless is a good way to get 'ignored' and God knows we wouldn't want that! </mock alarm>

I thoroughly agree with your comments for the most part, however. I still think that if you want something done exactly your way, it's at the very least worth considering that perhaps you should do it yourself. Call me crazy - or silly, if you prefer - but it seems pretty straightforward to me.

Jugular wrote:
...I have picked up that you have rather alot of ideas...

This is precisely why I was advocating running his own league. Not just because of aging, but for all the other ideas. Aging was simply the topic of this thread. No use arguing that point, though. I've been (sob) ignored.

The Immutable Brick Wall of DOOM (my emphasis) wrote:
...You suggest to create completely new online league/community in order to test a simple rules tweak.

See above that this is for everything you want to do, since we all know exactly what this is really all about. Getting a league run your way.
Quote:
Its nice to see you line up with Mr-Klipp but forgive me if I turn down this opportunity to play 1vs2.

I wasn't actually lining up with Klipp to gang up on you, you're just being defensive again. You posted something in a public discussing forum and I was discussing it with you... publicly. Klipp happened to be doing the same thing - that whole public part - at the same time.

Quote:
FUMBBL would have the means to realize my suggestion...

Right. It is not going to be done, however. So why overlook a means to realize your suggestion. The response closest to an actual rationale for not making your own league to toy with exactly as you see fit was, "Its a silly idea to say the least."

Whatever. I have no intention of actually changing your mind anymore. I just try to keep up on the boards and can't bear to see you carrying on like this without noting the failings in your argument. It actually causes me physical pain to read some of these responses. Just like stubbing a toe, hopping around on one foot and cursing doesn't make it go away but we all do it every time anyway...

Last edited by BadMrMojo on %b %28, %2004 - %18:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
Mully

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Force/Klipp/all - maybe here are some relevant questions.

Does the BB rules commitee have a budget ? ie do they have money to spend for the development of bloodbowl?

Would they be willing to give money/resources to FUMBBL to create a testing division for new bloodbowl rules? Certainly they must see the player/team resource here far outmatches anythng they can do on their own.

Are there any reasons, personal or otherwsie, that would preclude something like this from happening?

This would take care of Klipp's issues regarding time/money. And unless the BB rules dudes and FUMBBL dudes don't get along, I don't see why it would be an issue to adjust the FUMBBL charter a bit to help the total game of bloodbowl evolve.

Anyway, that's my thinking "outside the box"

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Anonymous wrote:

Mr-Klipp makes this sound like a worthless undertaking and at the same time makes himself sound like he knows whats best for all of us.

Now you just look like a jackass. I've listed specific reasons why this would be of no value, NONE of which you have bothered to respond to.

As the saying goes, put up or shut up. Address each of my points relating to why this data is of no value, and then list the reasons you think it is worthwhile data to collect, or else stop wasting my time.

The Finishing Touch

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully that is what i was thinking as well a bit earlier in this topic.
Mr-Klipp is verry right that it's not his "Job" to create a playtesting environment for Blood Bowl.
And as long as the GW people dont get their act together and actively support people (who did their job and got their game online) stuff like what i imagined will not happen.
So Mr-Klipp you are right even if my experiment was made, and even if we came up with the perfect ageing rule, it would not make it onto fanatics desk.

I'm off for bnet.
Delta

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 18:59 Reply with quote Back to top

While the last thing I want to do is step into a 'Forum' brawl, I feel like there is something I have to say.

I thought that the whole point of Fumbbl, and the JBB Client, was so that a group of likeminded people can play an enjoyable and FUN game against a wider collection of players.
Oh, and it's free to use, and regularly updated to stay in line with the latest version of the original. (which is not free). Can't think of many games which have constant updates free of charge. (well, I can't think of any - but somebody might!)

From time to time these likeminded individuals will make suggestions which may improve the game/site. That's good.
Freedom to improve and enhance where possible. I like it.

However, not all of those ideas will be good. Most of those ideas will never be implemented by the official owner of the original game. (which means that Fumbbl will never implement it either).
Just because something can be changed doesn't mean it should be changed.

Force/Guest - you have sounded out your reasons for wanting this change (even if it is only for testing purposes).
Your change will not be implemented by GW. No matter how much research you do on it.
If GW turn round and make it experimental, then I'm sure it will be found in Fumbbl soon after.
Chalk this one down as a 'nice idea - but not practical'.
By all means continue with the suggestions. Someday you might have a brilliant one which may revolutionise the game we all know and love.

Klipp and several others all provide their time, effort and skill completely out of their love of the game.

They are the ones who know the real effort and time/resources needed for many if not all suggestions made.
If they say it's not possible on this site....it's not possible on this site.
That's good enough for me.

Basically listen to them. They are not here to insult you, or to laugh at your ideas. (although that might happen if you keep on at them Wink )

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2004 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

It's very simple. FUMBBL has no control over, or say in, anything to do with Blood Bowl. It is living on the edge of legality as it is - it has ZERO leeway to tell GW what to do. Any thoughts that FUMBBL "deserves" anything from GW is rubbish. Furthermore, GW has not, and will not, condone FUMBBL publicly, since it reserves the right to issue cease & desist letters for copyright breach - and it would be perfectly entitled to do so, even if FUMBBL isn't hurting its profits. Thus my feeling is that we will never get an "official" GW-sponsored testbed on FUMBBL - it's all on a gentelmen's agreement basis now, but in a legal sense that is not worth the paper it isn't written on.

What Force has to do is wait for GW to release details of the Playtesting Vault, because that is the ONLY way his vision will come into being. I suspect this discussion will be made obsolete when that happens.

The above views are entirely my own, and may not reflect those of the owner/s of this site.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2004 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Force wrote...

Quote:

no matter how good any idea is we will not consider it because i, mr-klipp do not like it

ok i have an idea... can i come to your house and make you paint all your walls pink and yellow just because i think it MIGHT look better? oh you also have to buy the paint as well... is this fair? this is the attitude you take to Mr-Klipp...

Mr-Klipp and Christer recieve no funding for this game and have to pay for bandwith and equipment themselves... if you like you could pay for extra bandwith so you could have your no ageing league... what you propose is potentially useless as you have nothing to replace ageing with

i realise you may freak out if i discuss aging (i havent read much of this topic but i will say what i have to say) but do you not think ageing will lead to a greater imbalance in the game? Aging is the best mechanism at the present time in ensuring player turnover... imagine a team with 4 Enjoyments or 4 11 MA wood elf catchers... if we have the same players all the time it gets a little stale dont you think? after you get your last skill advance there is nothing new you can add to your player is there?

Oh by the way Mr-Klipp have you decided if you will add your night goblin roster into stunty leeg? im still itching for some squigs!!! Smile
 Jump to: