32 coaches online • Server time: 01:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Cindy is back?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
origami

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2004 - 00:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Generally, people think of that the point of a catcher is to go out to receive the pass and run it in for the TD. After thinking about it a little, it seems as though this is a pretty poor use for them.

Having the catchers score most of the TD will result in a lot of SPP being concentrated in one place. This is bad because it makes you vulnerable to a couple of lucky hits on your stars. It also boosts your TR out of proportion to the number of actual useful/game winning skills that you get. It's better to spread out those SPP and have a well rounded team.

If you don't use them for scoring, then what are they good for? Defense. For a lot of teams, the catchers are the only ones who can get agility skills. Some of those are very handy on defense, especially against dodgy, passing teams. If your catcher has both catch and pass block, it makes your opponent's passing decisions much more difficult. With an agility of four, your odds are better than even to make that interception. Even with an agility of three, you've significantly reduced your opponent's chance of successfully completing that pass. Diving tackle, sidestep, and shadowing are all nice for denying freedom of movement to opposing receivers.
Mezir

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2004 - 00:59 Reply with quote Back to top

With Dauntless, MA 8 or 9, and some Guards on your team, Catchers make excellent Blitzers.

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2004 - 01:03 Reply with quote Back to top

favour skill combinations for maximum annoyance block, dodge, side step, diving tackle those four skillz will allow you to cover a player and make it very risky for him to move.
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2004 - 01:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually i find catchers are pretty damn good at scoring touchdowns. Call me crazy but thats what i use mine for and it works out pretty well. Catchers have a relatively high turnover rate on most teams since they are usually fragile and hold the ball a lot so giving them points is important becuase you will need to build up new catchers to replace dead or niggled ones. On teams like skaven, high elves, and pro elves rolling doubles and agility increases on your gutters or catchers is very important so scoring a lot of tds spread out between the four of them really helps to get that dauntless horns combo or nerves of steel dump off or all kinds of other nasty skill combinations.

Don't get me wrong developing linemen is important it's just i usually wait until i have a solid lead from scoring with my faster more agile players before i start running risky plays with linemen. With elf teams i find that leaving a linemen in the back to pass the ball to my passer is the best way to develope the linemen without having to take to many chances running them down field instead of the better suited catchers and blitzers. Linemen are important, but positional players are usually the real strength of your team.

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2004 - 01:45 Reply with quote Back to top

with fast dodgy teams I tend to use two catchers for offense two for defense. Haven't had enough experience with them to know what skill combo's work best though. I always used to use my catchers for scoring only.
poodle-man

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2004 - 02:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I normally use at least one catcher, preferably a blodge one, out wide by himself. That way your opponent will send a small horde, two or three players to shut him down. this should leave you in a postion to outnumber and flood through on the other side. The other useful side effct of this trick is that it allows you to spread the spp's a bit, giving the score to a player who otherwise would never make it into the endzone.
Sounds great in theory but i suck so what do i know? Smile
And as thumbscrews said. make sure you have the win before you start lobbing long bombs to linemen. i have lost nearly as many games to trying to farm spp's out as i have to my opponents, just because im greedy.

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2004 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

With my WE team I have two catchers assigned to defence:
Blodge, dauntless, sure feet, catch (1d blitz at 11 squares !)
Blodge, shadowing, tackle

Next skills will propably be passblock.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2004 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

VoidSeer wrote:
With my WE team I have two catchers assigned to defence:
Blodge, dauntless, sure feet, catch (1d blitz at 11 squares !)
Blodge, shadowing, tackle

Next skills will propably be passblock.

The shadower in particular might want to consider sidestep first. You mark a guy and your opponent blitzes you away with a push and shadowing suddenly does nothing to help. Passblock will let you latch onto a few more receivers, but sidestep will help you keep them covered.

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2004 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I know about side-step. But, last time I developped passblockers with a team. I found that 1 passblocker can be useful but 2 is way better.
Actually 2 guys with passblock, catch really forces your opponent to change his play (if he plays a passing game, of course).

I'll think about it when they'll get the SPP. The problem with defensive catcher is that they don't advance that fast.
I have to field them on offence from times to times.
phillier

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2004 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Try 5 passblockers like I had with my de Twisted Evil
Barash

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2004 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

VoidSeer wrote:
I found that 1 passblocker can be useful but 2 is way better.

Well I had that advantage in a game vs Mnemon a few days back with my HE team.
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=222751

Mnemon passed and conpleted 3 times right over my catchers (well thanks to the help of passblock they stood there watching the sky and jerking off, ignoring the ball completely), all 3 interception attempts failed, dispite AG 4, the catch skill and not in a tacklezone. Elfs can be a real pain in the .... Any more suggestions?
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2004 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I had a dauntless catcher and a guard catcher on my human team. Best two-way players around I found. Watch coaches get mad when your 2st catcher blows an ogre of the los into the BH box.

On defence you got speed and ability to turn the ball over on counter plays. I use my catchers with blodge/side step as walls or screen players to get the ball into the hands of other players who need spp.

I have a 2st Lion warrior. Still kept him even after the injury. Still effective with blodge, side step, except when he meets 3st tacklers.

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2004 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Dirty player makes them useful.

The Boyz
 Jump to: