46 coaches online • Server time: 17:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Falesh

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2004 - 06:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey there, I'm planning on making a couple of Nurgle's Rotter teams that are more of a running team with some passing etc, rather then really bashy. I would like to be able to compete with bashy teams (though not multiple DP, Claw, RSC killers) and agile teams too. Here's a plan of what I am thinking of atm:

1____Beast_____Block, Guard, Break Tackle_____Dodge
2____Rotter_____Block, Guard, Break Tackle_____Dodge
3____Rotter_____Block, Guard, Break Tackle_____Dodge
4____Rotter_____Block, Guard, Mighty Blow
5____Rotter_____Block, Guard, Mighty Blow
6____Beastman__Block, Guard, Kick
7____Beastman__Block, Strip Ball, Guard
8____Beastman__Block, Strip Ball, Guard
9____Beastman__Sure Hands, Block, Guard
10___Beastman__Sure Hands, Block, Guard
11___Beastman__Block, Guard, Tackle__________Pass
12___Beastman__Block, Guard, Tackle__________Pass
13___Beastman__Block, Guard, Tackle__________Foul Appearance
14___Beastman__Block, Guard, Tackle__________Foul Appearance
15___Beastman__Block, Guard, Tackle
16___Beastman__Block, Guard, Tackle

Against Agile teams Foul Appearance will hinder their throwing game, Tackle will allow me to knock them down and the other skills allow my players to be around on the pitch for a long time.

Against bashy teams the Foul Appearance combined with Kick will help make their passing game very difficult, Dodge and Foul Appearance will help keep my players standing, Guard keeps me on even terms and Break Tackle will help me move my players in order to stop the opposition having as many blocks.

I'm not so bothered if this will be hard to play in the short term, I'm aiming for a good team once it is built up a bit. Does anyone have any suggestions on how they think this will work or how it could be improved?
poodle-man

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2004 - 08:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Heya mate. Grats on choosing the rotters. Join the few, the proud, the festering. Your right in not being too bothered about your early game record, the rotters are pretty sub standard early. Mid str they are great fun, but it will be hard at high str. I have a tourney team im really enjoying playing and have a few tips you might want to think about.

1. Doubles. Really important. I would get a Big Hand beastman asap. On your rotters, i would maybe go stand firm over breaktackle, they are slow anyway and stand firm and Foul app is a cool combo. And bugger gettin breaktackle on your beast. He is a glorified troll, put him on the line and use tentacles to keep your opp there as well. If you must, put him in the back field and lumber him into hot spots as needed. Beastmen make great blitzers, use em, keep your muscle doing its job. Which is crushing all in its path. If you are desperate to avoid the clar/rsc sorta thing (although i cant think of a player better suited to it) go with stand firm. Later on, you might want to think about spikes for your best players.

2.Dying. You will do alot of it. Beastmen's armour aint great, not bad but not great, and with no apoc casualties can get high. Which is fine if its bob the beastmen, no skills. However its a bitch if it Barry the magnificent with big hand +ag and pass. Your two options to minimse the damage having players die does are, spread the spp's. If ya get a big hand guy, look for the hand off early so the scoring gets spread around for instance. Two, try and build replacements early. One guy with big hand is good, two is better. And if ya get a really good guy, protect him with other players, spikes and such. Oh yea, and the third one. Dont get too attached.

Bah, thats it. Have fun with em. The rot rules!!

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2004 - 10:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the reply.

The thing is with my Beast there have been a number of times where he was next to one player but really needed to move next to another more important one to trap them with Tentacles. Possibly not enough to warrant Break Tackle though, trouble is what other skill to give him? Multiple Block maybe.

Again, I think you are probably right about Break Tackle on the Rotters, I think Mighty Blow might be more useful. Stand Firm is a Trait isn't it, so I would need a double for it? If so I think I would rather take Dodge on doubles. Without Claw's or RSC's I need more players standing vs bashy teams.

I think I'll go for 2 Big Hands and change the Sure Hand skills to Mighty Blow. Also I think I might not go for Pass unless something like +agi comes up, I have been using Hand Off really and if I need to pass I can always use a Team Re-Roll.

Revised List:
1____Beast_____Block, Guard, Multiple Block
2____Rotter_____Block, Guard, Mighty Blow
3____Rotter_____Block, Guard, Mighty Blow
4____Rotter_____Block, Guard, Mighty Blow
5____Rotter_____Block, Guard, Mighty Blow
6____Beastman__Block, Guard, Tackle
7____Beastman__Block, Guard, Tackle
8____Beastman__Block, Guard, Tackle
9____Beastman__Block, Guard, Tackle
10___Beastman__Block, Guard, Tackle
11___Beastman__Block, Guard, Tackle
12___Beastman__Block, Guard, Kick
13___Beastman__Block, Guard, Strip Ball
14___Beastman__Block, Guard, Strip Ball
15___Beastman__Block, Guard, Mighty Blow
16___Beastman__Block, Guard, Mighty Blow

Doubles:
Beast_____Dodge.
Rotter_____Dodge.
Beastmen__2 Big Hands, At least 4 Foul Appearances (so the one turners have to catch at a big minus since the first 7 players in a 3-4-4 defence all add -1 within 3 squares). Maybe even more Foul Appearances, stopping 1/6 Blocks dead and crippling catching/passing just sounds too tempting as a first double skill.
Khaan

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2004 - 11:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't underestimate sure hands. Just because you have Big hand does not guarantee a successful pickup. Sure hands will save you rerolls. In addition sure hands players cant be strip balled, very important, especially vs pesky wardancers ive found.

The primary problem i ran into with my ballplaying chaos (for this comparison very similar to rotters) was their lack of speed. At MA6 you wont really be making any passes for TD's. You will be screening the ball and walking it in, even cage if needs be. Even if you run three receiving beastmen downfield it just takes them too long to get to the TD zone, especially if the opposition has set up any sort of tackle zones to stop you. Its not like you can dodge/leap your way through like a gutter runner.

Quick passes and handoffs work well in getting the ball out of tricky situations and quickly changing sides to outmaneuver equally fast/slower teams, but that's about it.

What I am trying to say is, don't be too tempted to go for passing skills because you will very seldom make use of them. Instead building one or two FA/surehands/blodge beastmen is a good idea. They are supreme at holding the ball, and can make a handoff just before the TD zone to spread the spp wealth around.

The Boyz
Falesh

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2004 - 14:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Good point, I've just come from a game where a Dauntless, Leaping, Strip Ball Gutter Runner knocked the ball out of my hands too many times.

Out of interest how many of your team had Sure Hands? I'm thinking because since Beastmen have a move of 6 I have been using 2 in the back of the field to pick the ball up, so with those plus the ball carrier I hand off to, that would need 3 Sure Hands players.
Khaan

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2004 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I concentrated on getting block and some guards first, as well as a few tackles.

Think I had one surehands beastman, and one FA/bighand beastman.

Had two chaoswarriors at 4agi, one of them a blodger, which was very nice for ballholding. Only problem was strip baller of course, and the fact he is slow as a sludge.

Then I retired them when my 3rd chaos warrior (with +ag) died to some random elf blitz.

The Boyz
 Jump to: