57 coaches online • Server time: 16:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Adam1981

Post 4 Posted: Nov 17, 2006 - 23:53 Reply with quote Back to top

hello,

I need to know how to win with orcs? I've played 5/6 games and drew one lost the rest!! :cry: Not good. How do i get the boys on the winning streak??

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Adam1981
johan

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2006 - 00:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Stalling and Caging are the two fundamental Ork concepts. There are lots of threads for you to read up on.

About your team, you should use at most one Goblin, and most likely none at the Academy Team Rating Bracket. Get the fourth Black Ork and fourth Blitzer and another RR as soon as you can., and replace the -ST Lineman. You should get more FF, but that won't work until you start winning. And fire at least three of the Assistant coaches.

Keep playing Orks, too - it's probably the easiest team to learn, and it may be the very best team overall as well.

/johan

Last edited by johan on %b %18, %2006 - %00:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2006 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Guard with tackle zones, not players, don't put your Blitzers on the Line of Scrimmage.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2006 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

The best way to win with Orcs, is to simply score more than your opponents. Run and Gun, Warren Moon Style.

Jeffro
Quadros

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2007 - 12:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I brought an orc team up through acadamy because before I came to FUMBBL I played skaven, a very different team. They're now probably my strongest team. Here are some of the lessons I learnt.

1. Orc's aren't AG4. you need loads of Rerolls. I have three, and I don't think it's enough, tbh.

2. Blitzers are the best players on the team. take the makimum amount. My prefered tactic is to work two behind the opposition line straight away, ad sprint them at the ball retriever/thrower. Most people don't pass the ball first turn. Orcs make them pay.

3. a troll and 4 BOBs are a fearsome front line. they can mince anything, and though I don't cage, a cage made of these guys is very hard to break.

4. Take 1 gobbo. I only just got mine. Give him catch, and have him as you're 'special' reserve. he's there for the last turn of each half, when you're recieving after conceding. if you've already won, it's the easiest way to get your thrower another SPP. If you're losing or drawing, you can 1TTD with Throw Team Mate.

5. If your gobbo gets another skill give him Diving Tackle. now you have a highly annoying defensive player Smile

6. You only need about 14 players, 15 if you want a gobbo. Orcs hardly ever get reduced below 11 men.

7. Orcs are like, green, and stuff

8. So I only actually learnt 6 things.

For me, orcs are about risk, a sloppy, scrappy game. You'll win because of critical one dice blocks, long bombs, passes that are inaccurate but bounce into the hands of a blitzer in the end zone anyway. you'll score by slowly gaining the acendency over the opponent, and then working a break. They're not about set plays, precision passing and sprinting to the endzone to collect a pass. They rely on destroying the enmy's game plan, and then benifiting from the lack of cohession.

anyway, that's my 23 pence.
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2007 - 13:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Orcs are all about getting field dominance. This is helped by their AV9, which helps them remain longer on the field than other teams. Getting field dominance can be done by removing opponent's players, stalling in advantageous circumstances, positioning correctly to give your opponents -2d blocks at best. Orcs have no superstar players that will win the game on their own (like wardancers or werewolves), so it will always have to be a team effort. Therefor, positioning is crucial - you can get outrun by most other teams. Sometimes it cannot be helped, but usually I pound my opposition into submission and force them to play my game instead of theirs.

Quote:
For me, orcs are about risk, a sloppy, scrappy game. You'll win because of critical one dice blocks, long bombs, passes that are inaccurate but bounce into the hands of a blitzer in the end zone anyway.

I disagree with this. Despite the GW image of orcs being a rowdy band, they are in fact the most reliable team in Blood Bowl. If you are doing 1d blocks with orcs you are doing something wrong. If you rely on passing with orcs, then your gameplan wasn't sound.

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2007 - 13:21 Reply with quote Back to top

The easiers way to learn is to play vs other orcs, preferably experienced coaches. Or you could spectate a game with orcs.
Quadros

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2007 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

torsoboy wrote:
Quote:
For me, orcs are about risk, a sloppy, scrappy game. You'll win because of critical one dice blocks, long bombs, passes that are inaccurate but bounce into the hands of a blitzer in the end zone anyway.

I disagree with this. Despite the GW image of orcs being a rowdy band, they are in fact the most reliable team in Blood Bowl. If you are doing 1d blocks with orcs you are doing something wrong. If you rely on passing with orcs, then your gameplan wasn't sound.

see, i think I disagree and agree with you.

If I'm recieving, i get a couple of blitzers into the back field, scare off the throwers, and then beat the opposition to a pulp. If the blitzers are where they need to be, my opposition tends to get drawn into a fist fight with my LOS and a couple of blitzers, and my passes don't need to be accurate (though it certainly helps), just accurate-ish. it takes more players of theirs than it does of mine, normally, to win any fight in midfield. therefore, when I get my pass off, it's a case of a couple of blocks to free up a blitzer and it's a TD that turn, generally. It's a solid game plan, but with orcs, everything can go wrong, so it's a smart move to leave room for improvisation.
shaftdiggity

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2007 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the key to playing orcs is building the team rather than having super 1 on 1 players. Blitzers and BOB's should get guard asap to control the line of scrimage. Whenever possible, block a blitzer free to blitz. I would say setup should have 4 BOB's, 2 blitzers on the line and 2 blitzers off the line as safties. When you skill up your passers, block is the first thing to get (making them tougher to bring down on offense, and better for defense, so once you get a couple throwers with block you can put them as safeties and move all 4 blitzers to the line to wreck havoc in the backfield ( I agree with Quadros on this)). On defense, any that slip through you don't have to make the 1die block on a blitz, just put a tackle zone on them and control the line of scrimage (the more you make them have to beat you on the line of scrimage, the less you have to worry about them flooding into your zone and pushing the line forward).
Fama

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2007 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

torsoboy wrote:
Orcs are all about getting field dominance. This is helped by their AV9, which helps them remain longer on the field than other teams. Getting field dominance can be done by removing opponent's players, stalling in advantageous circumstances, positioning correctly to give your opponents -2d blocks at best. Orcs have no superstar players that will win the game on their own (like wardancers or werewolves), so it will always have to be a team effort. Therefor, positioning is crucial - you can get outrun by most other teams. Sometimes it cannot be helped, but usually I pound my opposition into submission and force them to play my game instead of theirs.

Quote:

I agree with Torsoboy here.

I'd like to consider my orcs rather successfull. Even more so if I hadn't had so terrible aging rolls... But anyway. This is what I did...

I didn't even have a thrower until game 36. Why should I get a thrower? I have team rerolls to pick the ball up. I started with 4 bobs, 4 blitzers, troll and linos I think. You have to start with only 2 RR I think, but that's bearable with the huge amount of ST and 4 block. Now, always put the troll on the los - he's there to absorb damage. Also, I like 2 linos on the los, but since I don't like putting DP on the los, a bob sometimes goes there. Never a blitzer (unless if he's rookie, then maybe) because they're so valuable.

So, pick the ball up with a blitzer, possibly lino if you need DP, and cage. Grind all the way to the end using your superior ST. If possible, handoff to a bob - if not, score with blitzer.

On defense, stop the opponent from advancing, grind them to dust and try to steal the ball.

Repeat if necessary. Orcs are very reliable. But that's because of the things I do NOT do, unless absolutely necessary (yes, I do them very rarely). These are...

Dodge. You don't dodge with orcs. You dodge with elves. Orcs are not elves. Got it?

1d blocks. Blitzers get guard or maybe tackle on first skill, I like guard. Bobs get guard on second skill. You should have a lot more ST and guard than your opponent - don't do 1d blocks unless necessary for scoring/stopping opponent from scoring etc.

Passing. Usually you grind to the endzone, maybe run the ball with handoffs, because passes fail with orcs. Turnovers = not good.

I wouldn't send my blitzers deep into the opponents half, because if you CAN do it, it's usually against more agile and/or faster races, and then your blitzers will just be in your opponents backfield when he's in YOUR backfield. With the ball. Scoring on your endzones.

Bash. Grind. Foul. That's the orc way.

(oh, and general team building: ALWAYS start with at least 3 RR (yes, I broke my own rule with my orcs. But 4 bobs are worth it. Also, always take FF 9 at beginning. Never buy assistant coaches or cheerleaders, and you shouldn't keep too many assistant coaches anyway.).

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2007 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I usually start with 1 troll 4 bobs 2 blitzers 1 thrower 3 lino, get the ball the thrower and cage him down the field then hand off/pass to a bob (4+ really isnt that bad odds with rr).
Spp on bobs as fast as you can imho.

1. Thrower because of sure hands and pass which should save you a rr or 2 in the first couple of games and he can pass if you get tied up due to bad rolls etc.

2. 1 troll as it is great for los st5 regen in game 1 rocks!

3. 4 bobs as they need all the spp they can get and st4 av9 are awesome to begin with.

4. just 2 blitzers as they will get spp fast enough and you just need for them to blitz the way for the rest of the team (starting with block that seems like the most logic thing to use them for)

5. linos are for los, as you get 4 blitzers etc the los problem is actually the only problem you will run inte with orcs:)

For defense i use this formation:

xxxxxxLTLxxxxxx
xxtxxBxxxBxxLxx
xBxxbxxxxxbxxBx

L= Lino
T= Troll
B= Bob
b= Blitzer
t= Thrower

This makes it hard for most rookie teams to break thru. Of course some fast elves have an easy time outrunning you, but then again, they lack the st to open up your sides and with the troll in the middle they are forced to do som 1 dice or a lot of dodges.
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2007 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

what i don't see in this thread yet is what i consider THE most important rule for teams like orcs (also dwarves and khemri), or better it does not come out very clear. make sure your team stays together, don't let your opponent push you to separarte your players over the field. do not let the ball carrier hanging back with 3 or 4 other guys while the rest tries to pound their way through the opponent. you will a) get your front guys outbashed by other bash teams because they are outnumbered or b) get dizzy while the speeding teams run around your front line, close in after them and isolate your ball carrier which will in 95% percent result in losing the ball. and since most speed teams have some ag4 guys, it is "bye bye ball" then and you are screwed. About Quadros's tactic: i would not go for that. That only works well if you are a) extremly lucky becuase you somehow get through to the ball or have your opponent reduced to 5 players or b) play against crappy opponents. Orcs are a very solid team, but you must not play hasty with them and imo it takes some time to get used to their playing style, and especially with fresh teams, rookie Bobs can just screw over any game plan by failing every second block.

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2007 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Candlejack wrote:
what i don't see in this thread yet is what i consider THE most important rule for teams like orcs (also dwarves and khemri), or better it does not come out very clear. make sure your team stays together, don't let your opponent push you to separarte your players over the field. do not let the ball carrier hanging back with 3 or 4 other guys while the rest tries to pound their way through the opponent.

Heh, nice to hear that from a veteran player while I'm doing exactly that.

Oops.

Jump to: