58 coaches online • Server time: 20:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Shoould Academy teams be allowed to move to unranked...
No
50%
 50%  [ 97 ]
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 97 ]
Total Votes : 194

Russo

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2007 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Here is my two-pennieth...

When I started out on FUMBBL less than a year ago, I obviously started in Academy. To be honest most of my opponents were experienced coaches, some were really helpful and chatty and others were passive during games. Either way I was still learning, whetere I was getting thrashed or performing poorly.

Some of my biggest disastors tought me lessons in discipline with the ball and about being more practical about "housekeeping" simple things like standing up your downed players first. That might sound obvious but the number of newbies that have not mastered that concept early on (including myself at the time) is large.

I am not opposed to experienced coaches playing in Academy as what ever their motive they are still "teaching" whether by talking or by the stick!!!

As I have got better I have played fewer and fewer games in Academy, till now where I have just 2 teams in there:

1) My Woodies are my first attempt with them and I was just experimenting (they are really bashed up)

2) My Vampires are a team I created just to return the favour that was given to me - I will only ever play them in Academy and never move them up. They are a themed team and will only ever have 1 Vampire. The idea being to fire all Thralls that get too big for their own boots. I wont take "damaging" skills like M Blow or Dirty Player and I dont foul with them. The idea is that i can chat to my opponents and give them hints, without being an overpowering opponent.

Now for my main point here!!!

Often (during the game)when I have suggested possible improvements to the starting roster or little hints on set-ups, or tactics, coaches have got all upperty about it. There seems to be an impression amongst many new coaches that just because they played tabletop that they understand everything there is to know about FUMBBL. Then they get exasperated by the fact that they are playing loosely and suffering lots of turnovers.

Despite me advising that they "avoid 1 die blocks unless really critical, or where you have block and a reroll", or where I tell them to "make the dodoge and pick up in a TZ as your last action not your first", some coaches seem to show no willingness to learn there lesson the easy way. They are then the whingers about being beaten repeatedly.

I can point to many of my Match Reports where I have included advice for the newbie too, which is a good way of doing it as the text is lost from the in-game chat at the end of the game. The match report is a lasting reminder of good advice.

Another thing I like to to is encourage new players by telling them that they are not "the worst player on FUMBBL" and that even after 300 games I am still learning from experiences in games.

Ohh and I always TELL a newbie that I am happy to provide help during and after the game, before I set up my players. That way I have made it clear that I am receptive and friendly.

I would like thank too great guys who have both helped me greatly in my early games in Academy Don Tomasso and Random Oracle who both beat me but did it with style and advice that turned out to be good old fashioned commen sense!!!!

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz
================================
[22:59] <princevaliant> NBL has gotten to be such a dirty channel
[22:59] <princevaliant> ty Russo Very Happy

BiggieB is my idol
thereisaball

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2007 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I always look to see how "new" a coach in academy is. That way I know if I can expect a game where I need to walk them through a lot of stuff, or if a few little pointers are needed. I also ask if they have play tabletop, it can be a jarring experience when you ruled the board and get kicked around like a sock puppet on FUMBBL.

Of course, I got "picked" a few times when I started in academy, and learned my lesson. So I try not to be to hard on a new coach. Having said that, I have had several coaches not say anything to me, despite how much conversation I make and how much advice I gave. You can't tell where most new coaches are from since they haven't filled out their info in their profile, so it it entirely possible that some of them couldn't communicate because of language barriers.

I love teaching this game and sharing my (limited) knowledge. I feel, truly, that it is the greatest game ever invented and love playing, even when I lose. So, if you are new and want to learn, look me up. You'll probably beat me some day.

DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2007 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Academy is the home for my all-zombie-team. (Give me liberty or brains)

Made for fun, and to greet newbies...
Thought I'd pick them early to introduce them to great fluff....

Jump to: