33 coaches online • Server time: 17:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Cyco

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I still think it should be optional. Mad

After all this is an online game, and not a regular board game. Unfortunally I think people will play less, becuase of the fact that you cant stop time, if the phone calls or you need to go... (nature calls when you least expect it sometimes). And thats a shame that you should be punished for that. Evil or Very Mad

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech wrote:
I have a daughter …

Meech has a daughter! Shocked My world dissolves! Whatever next: Macavity has a fish tank?

[PS - Belated congratulations. Smile]
pythrr

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

All hail to that suggestion!

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 22:22 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
purplechest > you

Wow, I bet he never expected to see you write that, shadow. Wink

(BTW, I'm just picking highlights right now, but might have something worth while to say shortly … (Just maybe …))
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Shadow Wrote
Quote:
hmmm...funny...

i'm curious, since when does people going afk once in a game from time to time, to refresh a drink, or do something necessary, extend the game to such an uncontrollable limit that the site warrants inflicting a 4 minute time limit on people?...

Shadow... you missed my point entirely.

I said that actually having a limit, and thereby forcing people to do outside things at THE END of THEIR TURN instead of DOING OTHER THINGS in the OPPONENT’S TURN, the limits would increase overall game time and not reduce it as FEW PEOPLE TAKE 4 MINS… yes, it was an argument against Time Limits… are you American, shooting at your own side? :p

End of the day, the rule isn’t in there for that reason particularly anyway, it’s to force you to only take 4 mins max per turn to move players. In actual fact, those that I’ve encountered that took longer than 5 mins I believe did so deliberately since I was in-game stalling (Not scoring when I could have) it won’t stop this type of behaviour for the reasons given, and now it’s even more difficult to report such behaviour since the coach could argue he’s forced to take breaks at the end of his turns now,

Anyways… I'll be trying it out for myself latter tonight.

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

Last edited by SeraphimRed on Feb 26, 2007 - 22:31; edited 1 time in total
Lorion

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

It can be so anoying waiting for an opponent to finish his turn, but the ability to wait after ones own turn kinda limits the benefits, so that is really not the main argument.

This is what counts - IT COMPLIES WITH LRB. Nothing more nothing less. A site as this should not have house-rules beyond those that are strictly necessary. Thought it was important writing down my opinion, since the majority of the posts seem to argue against the rule.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Sigh.

Are people just regurgitating everything now, and stating the obvious?

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

JanMattys

Lorion wrote:
This is what counts - IT COMPLIES WITH LRB. Nothing more nothing less. A site as this should not have house-rules beyond those that are strictly necessary. Thought it was important writing down my opinion, since the majority of the posts seem to argue against the rule.

Here's the thing, guys.

It's just HERE.

It complies with LRB? YES
it complies with online gaming? HELL NO.

We play LRB online, so we can't have BOTH.

The point is: should we (well, Christer) enforce a rule clearly NOT SUITABLE for online gaming and (let's be honest, ok, you 30-secs-per-turn-guys...) clearly not needed if not for tournaments?

If you think yes, then cheer for the time limit even if you might have some problems ending your turns in time.
If you think no, then oppose this rule, even if in theory it doesn't harm you in the slightest.

I think that the online part of Fumbbl experience is immensely more fun and more interesting than the strictly LRB compliant part. So I vote NO.

Just that.
When I want BB in its purest form I meet with friends and my painted minis, I get a beer, and I have a game.
On Fumbbl I _don't_ want to feel tied.

Last edited by JanMattys on Feb 26, 2007 - 22:38; edited 1 time in total
Ash

I will take a direct example...
Some of you saw the game between Jesperius and I in the WO first round. What I do know is that Jesperius and I played fast turn, chat a while, taunt a while ^^ and have a lot of fun. What I do think I know is that we had a lot of specs, and that they enjoyed it a lot. I think they did because I did receive a lot of felicition for such game and even Angie congratulates us for a while be making us op on IRC for few minutes. So I guess it was a great game, for player AND for spectator. Yes we played it fast, still, we must have played at least one or two turns around 4 minutes. Question is, would this game have been so cool with the time enforced rule? I really don t know.
To find out, let s experiment. If player who can have issue with the rule (as a father, I m one of them) don t give it a shot, how can we prove there is an issue about it?

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I've caught up now. Interesting (if somewhat repetitive) stuff.

Joining the repetitive trend, I'm a little disappointed (albeit unsurprised) that no one really picked up on my points in the top post of the other (locked) thread.

I see this as an opportunity to revitalise all the divisions. Let's assume for a moment that this rule does make Ranked unattractive for casual play. That can be a good thing: Ranked could get to be a genuinely dedicated competitive division, while Unranked could be the one for casual play. As a side-effect, CR might become more meaningful.

But all that can only happen if we see a further package of measures making Unranked a more attractive option. I don't think these (in/not-in tournament flags; a Ranked<->Unranked movement amnesty) could be too hard, technically, to bring about - especially in comparison with the large range of (unexpected and much appreciated) site upgrades we have seen over the last few months.

This should not be seen as a crisis but an opportunity - but bringing about that change of perspective may take some creative work yet by the staff.

Finally - an unequivocally good point - I will enjoy Ranked tournament matches much more with this rule in place, I think!

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, quick suggestions:

1) If you want people to try it before giving their feedback, then let us try it in games that aren't important. Forcing us to play out most important games with the rule turned on before we've had the chance to try it out and give feedback is going to provoke the kind of flame-wars you see here. I say leave it purely optional for 2 weeks. In that time, people who want to try it can try it in games of their own choosing, and we can get some meaningful feedback before it gets enforced all the time.

2) The turn-over problem must be addressed, for predictability of when your turn will start. That should solve 80% of the real-life emergency bitching. How about a pause button that you can push during your opponent's turn to suspend the timer for him? That way if you have an emergency, your opponent is allowed to be a good sport.

oops... just fouled a coach all the way out of FUMBBL... (gosh)-(darn) it!
Russo

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
Okay, I've caught up now. Interesting (if somewhat repetitive) stuff.

Joining the repetitive trend, I'm a little disappointed (albeit unsurprised) that no one really picked up on my points in the top post of the other (locked) thread.

I see this as an opportunity to revitalise all the divisions. Let's assume for a moment that this rule does make Ranked unattractive for casual play. That can be a good thing: Ranked could get to be a genuinely dedicated competitive division, while Unranked could be the one for casual play. As a side-effect, CR might become more meaningful.

But all that can only happen if we see a further package of measures making Unranked a more attractive option. I don't think these (in/not-in tournament flags; a Ranked<->Unranked movement amnesty) could be too hard, technically, to bring about - especially in comparison with the large range of (unexpected and much appreciated) site upgrades we have seen over the last few months.

This should not be seen as a crisis but an opportunity - but bringing about that change of perspective may take some creative work yet by the staff.

Finally - an unequivocally good point - I will enjoy Ranked tournament matches much more with this rule in place, I think!

I am with you on this Pac. This is a good opportunity to make clearer distinctions between the leagues and the nature of play.

I am sure that Christer would be happy to look at your suggestions if it would help rebalance the leagues following the impact of the RL on some of the coaches in ranked.

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz
================================
[22:59] <princevaliant> NBL has gotten to be such a dirty channel
[22:59] <princevaliant> ty Russo Very Happy

BiggieB is my idol
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Khor_Varik wrote:
shadow46x2 wrote:
watch yourself there magan...

apparently, the way some people talk, every coach on here plays 4+ minute turns, so everyone is having 2+ hour games....

wonder how that happened Wink

--j

We generally play 2 mins a turn, 2x32 = 64, aound an hour.
But the problem is to do not play more than 4 minutes during one or 2 turns in all the game.
I play fast (when i have a mouse), around 1 min a turn, but some turns i need more than 4 minutes for reasons explained by other coachs, RL for example.
But may be you cant deduce it, you only think the rule is nice and you only want to understand that some coachs play 4 minutes at EVERY turn...
stupid deducing of you

khor...don't get me wrong...i'm against this time limit being enforced over all of ranked.....i sympathize with people who have real life interferences, and may need to step away from the game from time to time, and unlike a lot of people here, i grasp that the occurences are nowhere near as bad as people make them out to be...

in fact, someone today mentioned that they ran into about 10% of the coaches they played with were coaches who took 4+ minutes per turn to play their game....which....as i've mentioned earlier...seems like a *huge* exaggeration, seeing as how i've played 800+ games, and not even 1% of my games have seen slow play issues(to the best of my recollection)...

(clarification: slow play means 4+ minute turns)

i think there are very few coaches who consistently play 4+ minute turns every game...in fact, i think there are few enough that i can count them on one hand...maybe two....

i also think that the rule is an over-the-top solution to a problem that can be resolved by a little bit of self-policing, if people would just avoid coaches who played slow if they don't wish to take part in that type of game....

my original joke was a sarcastic exaggeration, because some people on irc have made points that, from their experiences, it seems like they want to make people believe that a large amount of coaches are going over 4 minute time limits, which is nowhere near the truth...

--j

ImageImage
Qaz

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 22:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Where is my lagg answer?.. I am drowning in fathers at home with screeming babies.

Second. When you reload a irc file it some times takes time to make sure that both Coches see the same screen. some times you will have to sync and that can casue the 2 ball bug. (yes there are ways to deal with the 2 ball bug later in the turn by a new reload) but my second question after the lagg question is who should pay the time for both coaches to see if the actualy has the same screen?

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Composer99

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 22:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking of adding to Unranked, while I don't know that I'll be switching any ranked teams over just yet, maybe I'll spend some time and create some unranked teams. Unranked will become a viable place to play games once there are a sufficient mass of coaches on unranked looking to play games, so I guess I should be consistent with this belief and buld teams and look for games on unranked.
 Jump to: