39 coaches online • Server time: 11:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Goallie11

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2003 - 23:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Has anyone ever thought that maybe 40k could be made to be online like BB? I know it would be complex but it would be fun!
vigil

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2003 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I doubt Games Workshop would be as lax in giving FUMBBL trouble as they have been if SkiJunkie decided to make a java game based off their flagship product. BB is a specialty game, is not a huge earner by GW standards and specialty fans will always buy everything they can from the line anyway. Smile I doubt the same can be said of 40k.
Clementus

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2003 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Aye, Warhammer and 40K would be amazing and could possibly/probably use a similar client as each other. However Vigil has got it spot on, Bloodbowl isnt a "majority" game as classified by GW so they dont really care, in fact they hope it brings in trade.

However its a nice thought!

Flings Rule!
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2003 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Ignoring the legal issues, the project would be a nightmare even for a full scale development team. Blood bowl has a small almost pamphlet sized rulebook and is played on a grid. Either version of warhammer is played in a non gridded space, and has both a very large main book and numberous army books loaded with special rules that interact and conflict in ways that isn't even always clear.

Consider the difference in difficulty between these two projects, then look at how long it has taken to get even the much simpler blood bowl project to the level it is at today.

The Finishing Touch
Haska

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 14:32 Reply with quote Back to top

An issue to bring back to the fore I know but i'll have to agree on the issue of the complex rule system of the game. IMO only the specialty games have a rulebook that can be, effectively, converted into good playable code. BloodBowl especially for it doesn't have to rely on the 3d implecations of cover for shooting like Necromunda or, indeed, 40k. I've thought but this, and trying to incorporate the idea of soft and hard cover into a 2d top-down client, like JBBClient, would be difficult to say the least. The only feasible way that i can even comprehend how to do this is to give each model a selectable 'cover button' where you choose to be in soft/hard cover, but then this would probably only work from certain angles. Get behind said model and the whole cover issue could be removed if no cove was available. The only game that exists at the present time that could, imo, be incorporated into a online version, like JBBclient, could be 'Battlefleet Gothic'. Which is again a game with a small rule book, and does not take into account 3d positions of the models. Its flat, its up to your imagination to see all the ships fighting at different, relative, altitudes. Hence, I'm trying to write a version myself. Its a long way off as yet, I can code but i haven't a hope when it comes to designing the sprites or backgrounds, drawing a black screen at the moment is as far as i have got. A box represents the 'ship' which im stil ltrying to work out how to move it around, to pivot it around its centre etc. Converting the rules won't be the difficult part, they are all fairly straightforward, the difficult part for me, is this will be my first BIG Java project. Hopefully, I complete it one day.
Jarnageddon

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd also like to see Warhammer Quest, its tile based so wouldn't be too hard in that sense but the 400 million pages of rules might be a stumbling block.

Please note I am prone to exageration.

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 14:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I never really warhammer Quest, i owned it but gave it too my firend who seemed far more interested than me. I've i remember rightly, the single games where really straight forward but when it got into campaigns it became complex. Of course i might be wrong I never really played it like i said. Although i really liked the Chaos Warrior model for it, he became a nice Tzeentch Exalted Champion for me =]
Cyco

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I'd also like to see Warhammer Quest, its tile based so wouldn't be too hard in that sense but the 400 million pages of rules might be a stumbling block.

That is a very good idea. Easy, fun and fairly quick. I agree with LtMonkey. That would be an interesting projekt.