90 coaches online • Server time: 21:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would you like star players?
Yes, but only FUMBBL star players (and keep niggles)
22%
 22%  [ 11 ]
Yes, but only FUMBBL star players (but get rid of niggles)
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
Yes, give me all the star players you got (and keep the niggles)
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Yes, give me all the star players you got (but get rid of the niggles)
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
No, I don't like star players
40%
 40%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 50

Quilwood

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2003 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Why doesn't Fumbbl have star players? Now that they are only freeboot only they won't be as big a problem as in the days of foul/star player packed 3rd edition. It can't be that hard to impliment since there are freebooters and you could just put the star players on unusable teams like the "cheaters" one. Fumbbl could also include any player with 51spps and was retired on a team (though I think niggles should be in the cost or be removed). I thought of this when I found Thrud in the icons folder (though I think thrud would be the hardest to implement). I'm not talking about secret weapons (that would require work on the client) I just would like the option to freeboot starplayers, if only fumbbl starplayers and no griff oberwalds. Anyone else like to see star players?

Last edited by Quilwood on %b %26, %2003 - %04:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
darak_eyetwister

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2003 - 03:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Right o, come on admin give us star players Wink
While we're at it can we have the stadiums rules aswell, you could have it so the host side is the home team. Is it possible, i dont know, but it would be fun, it would encourage grudge matches in the opposite teams stadium. but this i fear would need to be done to client. Lets av dungeon bowl first yerrrrrr

I'll shut up now
Twisted Evil
Mezir

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2003 - 04:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Just for the heck of seeing a goblin team freeboot Helmut, I'm going to support this one. Smile

Of course, if two goblin teams playing each other both freebooted Helmut we'd be in weird country...

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2003 - 05:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir wrote:
Just for the heck of seeing a goblin team freeboot Helmut, I'm going to support this one. Smile

Of course, if two goblin teams playing each other both freebooted Helmut we'd be in weird country...

I don't think it would require voodoo magic to add a "lock" to a Star Player, so that when you freeboot a Star Player, he or she is added to your roster for a sane period of time (2h? 4h?) and during that period anybody else who tries to hire the player is denied ("Helmut is currently busy playing for Green Hearts, please get back to us in 3 hours and we can sign a contract.").

You could also keep stats on how the Star Players are doing (TDs, Cas, and money made etc)... Smile
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2003 - 06:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the reason there aren't star players in right now is that a vote was held a while back and the majority where against it.

The Finishing Touch
Quilwood

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2003 - 07:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry Klipp I don't remember a vote, but I've only been here a few months. What if this vote gets a big vote count and it's in favour of stars?
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2003 - 07:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, from a system standpoint it is quite easy to add them, the vampire coach is in effect already a star player. Since the whole idea of the open league is to be as close to 100% LRB as possible, I would think they *should* be there. What I would do if I where you is make a poll in the forums stating all this and see what people think, as well as perhaps a news story pointing people to the poll for those who might miss it. As for unofficial star players, I'd say those would be a lot less likely for the very same reason, not in the LRB, as well as the additional work in setting up a system to handle them.

The Finishing Touch
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2003 - 09:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir wrote:

why is that weird? we simply follow the LRB. When two people freeboot the same star player, neither team gets him and he runs off with the money.
Grouillormd

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2003 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Seriously, Star Players are fun, but they are such a drag too... First of all, Creating Such characters would require the modification of the javaware, secondo, how many people play fumbbl any way... Too many for the number of star players. And how the hell a star player can become "leader" of my team if he aint part of it regularly Question

I think that one aspect of bloodbowl is to create a team which is going to generate futur stars. How do you think the old stars (Griff, Varaghoul, etc..) have been brought out to light?

Let's do our own star players(using them in their respective teams), tell tales about them, write stories about how they got out into the light... Each player has a biography right! Let's use it!
Quilwood

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2003 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I just brought up the point because I was bored and I was making icons for them. If you check any of my teams they all have bios and pics (well not all yet, but i'm getting there). I don't care either way, I'll probable never use them.
caileanhawk

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2003 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I saw somewhere a "Star Player Generation System" where you had to pay 50,000 to create a star player...then after creating the player, a cost is worked out and you can purchase the player if you want him. It is a way for teams to spend their money ... Max 3 created Star Players per team... Then you wouldn't have to worry about 50 teams having Griff Oberwald. It was done by someone named Jon Peletis...seemed like quite a cool system.

"Hospitality to the better sort, and charity to the poor; two virtues that are never exercised so well as when they accompany each other. " - Francis Atterbury
Azurus

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2003 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Star players seem like a good idea. I don't much like the official ones, but they could come in handy until the league generates enough of it's own.

As long as they suffer from injuries (and deaths) like any other player, that is.