17 coaches online • Server time: 02:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2004 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I now look first at how much $$$$$$$$ a coach has in their treasury when I look for a game. Either adapt with the changes and prepare for certain contingencies, or be fodder like the rest of em.
In all fairness, I hired Nobla for my Chaos team in Div-X and he shows on my roster. Now I can't find a game... Sad

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2004 - 21:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Now I wonder, would not the easiest sollution to this problem be a dialog box in the client that asks "Do you accept this match?" to each player after they had a chance to review the roster of their opponent, but before niggle/handicap-rolls?

that would neatly eliminate those sleazy tricks like showing up with a different team, or the "surprise"-addition of freebooters or new players, no matter of legal or not, and would even -gasp- account for typos or other issues that happend during the setup-procedure of the client. Just a simple click of "Yes, let's play!", or "No, I changed my mind", or "Wait a sec, let me check the opponent team!" and everyone would be happy?
AsperonThorn

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2004 - 21:23 Reply with quote Back to top

P122 wrote:
that would neatly eliminate those sleazy tricks like showing up with a different team, or the "surprise"-addition of freebooters or new players, no matter of legal or not, and would even -gasp- account for typos or other issues that happend during the setup-procedure of the client. Just a simple click of "Yes, let's play!", or "No, I changed my mind", or "Wait a sec, let me check the opponent team!" and everyone would be happy?

The problem with that is that "Surprise" Freebooters are perfectly legal, not only with fumbbl rules but in the LRB.

If anyone has a gripe it is the "surprise" permanent players, that is, at worst, stretching the rules in the LRB but not breaking anything. The most obvious solution would be to have the site define "post-match" and "Prematch." This could simply be implemented as puting the team on hold until a coach clicks "Postmatch completed" after which they could no longer buy permanent additions, but could freeboot anything they wanted.

Asperon Thorn
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2004 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

P122 wrote:
...everyone would be happy?

"You can please all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time..."

You know the rest.

Sorry but at that point it's just time to take it like a man*.

* - unless your version of 'taking it like a man' entails crying, whining, dropping or not stopping to ask for directions. If any of the above apply, then take it like a woman.

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2004 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

AsperonThorn wrote:
...The most obvious solution would be to have the site define "post-match" and "Prematch." This could simply be implemented as puting the team on hold until a coach clicks "Postmatch completed" after which they could no longer buy permanent additions, but could freeboot anything they wanted.

Not at all worth the extra server load and logistical hassle, IMHO. Suddenly admins are swamped with results that can't be uploaded because people forgot to switch from Post- to Pre- game mode before playing? No thanks.

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2004 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
AsperonThorn wrote:
...The most obvious solution would be to have the site define "post-match" and "Prematch." This could simply be implemented as puting the team on hold until a coach clicks "Postmatch completed" after which they could no longer buy permanent additions, but could freeboot anything they wanted.

Not at all worth the extra server load and logistical hassle, IMHO. Suddenly admins are swamped with results that can't be uploaded because people forgot to switch from Post- to Pre- game mode before playing? No thanks.

Heh, I was just throwing that out there, as a possible solution for the moaning and groaning. Personnally I am of the opinion that they are asking for it, using just STR for finding games. Hell, I was the victim of a guy switching TEAMS on me when he was looking for a game, and I still went with it. (it cost him is +2MA skink, but he did win the game)

Asperon Thorn
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2004 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I could just ban anyone that moans and be done with it.
AsperonThorn

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2004 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Grumbledook wrote:
I could just ban anyone that moans and be done with it.

Once again, oddly, I find myself supporting Grumble 100% Laughing

Asperon Thorn
MixX

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2004 - 00:57 Reply with quote Back to top

If someone DOES show up with a different team, surely you are not bound to play the match? (you may decide to anyway, but its voluntary, right?)
AsperonThorn

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2004 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

MixX wrote:
If someone DOES show up with a different team, surely you are not bound to play the match? (you may decide to anyway, but its voluntary, right?)

Well the match in question was played over a year ago, and at the time, there were no official fumbbl rules on it one way or another.

As little as a year ago, the fumbbl "culture" was much different as well. For the most part everyone knew everyone, and most teams played all challengers (even Mnemon played just about anyone back then). Although, obviously, fumbbl was already beginning to transform to what it is today, with so many coaches and "new" faces that it is hard to track who is who. [/nostalgia]

Anyway, back to the point, suck it up, If you agreed to play a team that sits on a bunch of cash, don't be surprised if they use it.

Asperon Thorn
Christer

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2004 - 01:38
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

MixX wrote:

Correct. If someone shows up with a different[*] team, you're not bound to it.

[*] And if someone even bothers to argue that a team is different if a new player is purchased or whatever, I'll personally stuff their keyboard into their throats. Wink
 Jump to: