71 coaches online • Server time: 22:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
moonl1te

Post 22 Posted: Jul 25, 2007 - 15:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I've got a problem with the bio of this team. As you can see between the initial line and the table are lots of empty lines. I've got no idea where they come from.

The starting lines of code are as follows:

Code:
<p style="background-color:#FFFF44">Can anyone tell me why there are that many empty lines before the table starts???</p>
<table cellspacing="5" frame="box" border="5">
  <tr bgcolor="#BBBBBB">
    <td valign="top"><b>Highest Victory</b></td>
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2007 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Change all the lines to start from the left, without spaces.

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2007 - 15:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you, I tried it but for no difference. Sad

Founder of FLOP.
Janzki

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2007 - 15:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Every line change (enter key) creates an empty line. You have to write your code in one big block.

-Janzki

-Douglas Adams
moonl1te

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2007 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I did - as you can see from the posted code in my first post. There are no emtpy lines in my code that I didn't place there purposefully. The "gap" was even then there before I wrote the first paragraph. So "<table>" was the very first line of the code.

Founder of FLOP.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2007 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

moonl1te wrote:
I've got a problem with the bio of this team. As you can see between the initial line and the table are lots of empty lines. I've got no idea where they come from.

The starting lines of code are as follows:

Code:
<p style="background-color:#FFFF44">Can anyone tell me why there are that many empty lines before the table starts???</p>
  <tr bgcolor="#BBBBBB">
    <td valign="top"><b>Highest Victory</b></td>

moonl1te wrote:
I did - as you can see from the posted code in my first post. There are no emtpy lines in my code that I didn't place there purposefully. The "gap" was even then there before I wrote the first paragraph. So "<table>" was the very first line of the code.

Code:
<p style="background-color:#FFFF44">Can anyone tell me why there are that many empty lines before the table starts???</p><table cellspacing="5" frame="box" border="5"><tr bgcolor="#BBBBBB"><td valign="top"><b>Highest Victory</b></td>...

This is what it should look like if you want the lines removed.

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2007 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

What he means is that instead of what you now have:

Code:
  <tr bgcolor="#BBBBBB">

you should have:
Code:

<p style="background-color:#FFFF44">Can anyone tell me why there are that many empty lines before the table starts???</p><table cellspacing="5" frame="box" border="5"><tr bgcolor="#BBBBBB">
Janzki

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2007 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Exactly! Thanks Jan & Peiks Smile

-Douglas Adams
moonl1te

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2007 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, guys. I know what you want to point out to me. Every linebreak in the code works like a
Code:
&nbsp;

in html. I know that. Have you actually looked at the bio? There is not a SINGLE line above the table but at least 20! I can asure you that in the code there are not 20 empty lines. Wink

[edit] Just to make sure you see what I see:

[url=http://member.file-upload.net/moonl1te/thumb/mm-01.jpg]Image[/url]
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2007 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes. But that's not what they are trying to tell you :p.

On fumbbl every new line you start automatically is turned into a <br /> - an actual linebreak. So, the 20 lines of space happen because you press return while coding, making your code look nice. If you all just write it in one extended long line without pressing return fumbbl won't parse <br />'s in there.

-Mnemon
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2007 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

moonl1te wrote:
Ok, guys. I know what you want to point out to me. Every linebreak in the code works like a
Code:

in html. I know that. Have you actually looked at the bio? There is not a SINGLE line above the table but at least 20! I can asure you that in the code there are not 20 empty lines. Wink

I believe the linebreaks that occur between the table cells get kicked up above the table. Sometimes I'll forget to add the cell tags to an image and it will appear above the table in "how the heck did that get up there" fashion. C'mon, humor us and remove all the linebreaks and see what happens... sort of an empirical experiement.

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2007 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

the other trick that you can do is to comment out the <br /> tags that fumbbl adds. You can do this by ending each line with a start comment tag, and starting the next with an end comment tag.

Code:
<p style="background-color:#FFFF44">Can anyone tell me why there are that many empty lines before the table starts???</p> <!--
--><table cellspacing="5" frame="box" border="5"> <!--
-->  <tr bgcolor="#BBBBBB"> <!--
-->    <td valign="top"><b>Highest Victory</b></td> <!--
-->            . <!--
-->            . <!--
-->            . <!--

and voila, although they are still there, your web browser won't render the <br /> tags.

Last edited by Laviak on %b %25, %2007 - %16:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2007 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

moonl1te wrote:
Code:

You missed the point Very Happy
Quite totally Very Happy

ps: seems like you got it now Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2007 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, now it works. Thank you all! Smile I didn't know that the linebreaks (those in the code) within the table are transported to infront of it...

Now I'm quite thankful that I didn't get rude on you all - already thought you were taking me for a fool. Wink

Founder of FLOP.
 Jump to: