21 coaches online • Server time: 01:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2004 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I've played several new dwarf teams of late, and have noticed a weird (to me) trend..

starting with 1 Runner and 1 blitzer and the rest longbeards (or some minor variation on this). Either no, or only 1, slayer

Why would you start a dwarf team without at least both blitzers and both runners? (I might could see not starting with both slayers..but for me that isn't an option;) They are slow and non-agil enough without handicaping them further.

Me, I always start 2blitzers, 2 runners, 2 slayers and 5 LB's..still leaving enough room for 2 RR's and a respectable 7 FF.

RR's are cheap for dwarves...easy to buy after team creation.
Apoths can usually be bougt after the 1st game. You USUALLY survive well in the 1st game with dwarves (baring some bad injury rolls). slayers sometimes take a while to develop, so you need them early....

I just don't understand it...
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2004 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Albator 2001 and I agree. I've actually found I like his roster even better than the one I posted.

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2004 - 22:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup, started with 2 runners, 2 blitzers and 2 Troll Slayers. 2 RR, no apoth and the rest FF. First game, forced a team to concede, so I got the cash asap for the 3rd reroll and apoth. Team is doing good too. Once again proving that it IS ok to front load a team at the start.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=62321

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2004 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

yea, at least with dwarves. Granted, longbeards can take a bit to skill up..but, they aren't elf linemen who can get easy TD's and completions. On a full dwarf team, you will only use 5 anyway, so why start with more at the start.

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2004 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't agree. A full dwarf team will use 5-7 Long Beards, depending on whether they're on offense or defense, also even with dwarves there'll inevitably be MNGs. But it's not as important to get the Long Beards skills as it is with the linemen of other races, since they start out quite capable..
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2004 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

There is that also.. I rarely don't put my runners out..even the str 2 one...but yea, with mng and player attrition, you do use more than 5 Longbeards at times. But like you said, they come with block and tackle, (and thick skull) so even a rookie longbeard does his lineman duties better than most other linemen (linemen duties=blocking and assisting blocks)

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2004 - 00:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I usually sacrifice one runner for an extra ff. Your runners are the easiest ones to get spp points with anyways so your not going to suffer for not having one for long. The extra ff should help to ensure you get enough for that apoth after the first game, which is good. So my set up is 1 runner, 2 blitzers, 2 slayers, and 6 beards. Works well. Play safe with the runner for the first game especially and your off to the races with an apoth. 2 runner method is good too though. I just prefer playing the odds long term with teams.
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2004 - 02:20 Reply with quote Back to top

not much difference long term between 7 and 9 ff though...yes a little..but if you can win consistantly at the start, the FF should go up..having 2 runners at the start gives you all 4 agility 3 players..thus a better shot at scoring the TD's and such.

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2004 - 03:29 Reply with quote Back to top

there is a reason for start with 9 longbeards, 1 blitzer and 1 runner and that's if you're in dx. As you're well aware in dx you have to purchase a fresh apothecary after each match. Even with dwarves there are going to be unavoidable mng or worse. The reason to pick a team with a majority of longbeards is survival. First game hardly any coaches start with an apoth. You have some bad luck, you're already down to 10 men for next match. Do you then buy an apoth or, if money allows, another player and risk the same thing happening. Survivability first. Once you start to develop then buy the top players. Also by the time you get a full roster of the top players you got a very powerful longbeard base to fall back on.
 Jump to: