14 coaches online • Server time: 03:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lucan

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2007 - 00:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Check out that <a href="http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=coachstats"> block difference </a>

Think its clear why i have a loosing record. Thing is, I block whenever I can. How the hell can i raise that? It not like Im intentionally passing up blocks.
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2007 - 00:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Try eating more fibre.
MickeX

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2007 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

To get a good blocking game going, you need a lot of RRs and or players with the Block skill. But one of the main sources of coach mistakes are all those small choices on where to push players, and how to tie up opponents. Pay attention to how experienced coaches make those decisions and you'll learn a lot.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2007 - 00:50 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not only important how much you block.

Sometimes it's nice to have a single zombie to tie up a BoB for 16 turns... even if you suffer blocks and you don't retaliate.
The most important thing is WHEN to block, WHO to block, and to block where it hurts.
I myself have a negative block difference, but a winning record.

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2007 - 00:58 Reply with quote Back to top

MickeX wrote:
To get a good blocking game going, you need a lot of RRs and or players with the Block skill. But one of the main sources of coach mistakes are all those small choices on where to push players, and how to tie up opponents. Pay attention to how experienced coaches make those decisions and you'll learn a lot.

couldn't disagree with this more...

jan's points about knowing when to block and who to block is much more accurate...

just because you can throw a block, doesn't mean you should...sometimes it's better to just tie up a player and let him beat on you for a while, instead of retaliating...

--j

ImageImage
mistermurphy

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2007 - 01:01 Reply with quote Back to top

The real reason you lose is that you can't spell it.

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2007 - 01:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Was your workout instructor by any chance named "thespoonybard"?

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2007 - 08:16 Reply with quote Back to top

It is hard to say, but my best guess is that you are moving your players up to your opponents players too often, allowing him to block them for free.

If you are not the one to initiate contact, you will often be the one who throws more blocks.
MickeX

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2007 - 10:35 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
MickeX wrote:

couldn't disagree with this more...

jan's points about knowing when to block and who to block is much more accurate...

just because you can throw a block, doesn't mean you should...sometimes it's better to just tie up a player and let him beat on you for a while, instead of retaliating...

--j

You're not really adressing anything I wrote. Your and Jans points are completely accurate too. However, Lucan is right in noting that experienced coaches generally get more blocks in.
Panda_

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2007 - 11:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Look at the race you played the most. I sorted them with their number of games:
22 Dark Elf
14 Nurgles
10 Skaven
9 Khemri
2 Goblin

Particularly look that your Dark Elfs played more than your Nurgles, your skavens played more than your Khemris.
Skavens and Dark Elfs aren't races that win by blocking the most. Usually DE dodge to avoid behind blocked and getting a better position. That often ends with a negative block record. This is routhly the same with skavens. And i'm not even talking about about Goblins. Okay, you also play Nurgles and Khemri, but each less than one of the earlier. How can you expect to block more then if you play mostly agile teams ?

I think you are also wrong if you think that you win if you block more than your opponents. This is plain wrong because you are not taking into consideration which race do you play (and against). Exemple: if you were loyal to orcs and you had a negative blocking record, there would be an error. Also Ogres block more than everyone, but they only have bad-matchups.
The block game doesn't deceide the game alone.

If you cannot answer with several (really different) instances to the following question, then you have to watch for good replays and try to learn the answers.
- When to block.
- When not to block.
- When to follow
- When not to follow.
- When to tie a player (This is 4 questions: weaker, stronger players and 2 players)
- When not to tie a player (This is 4 questions: weaker, stronger players and 2 players).

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2007 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Mostly I lose because I make stupid mistakes (even if I don't realise it at the time) Wink

Edit: Thinking about it a little more I've come to an amazingly simple realisation:
Every time I lose, it's because my opponent scored more touchdowns than I did. Hence, all I need to do is score more touchdowns than my opponent, and I'll never lose again! It seems so simple now ... if only I'd realised this simple fact when I first started playing.

Jump to: