42 coaches online • Server time: 11:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you know how to use Direct connection?
Yes
89%
 89%  [ 83 ]
No
10%
 10%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 93

Petit-Trot

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2004 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Elrod, thanks for the Zonealarm tip. It works great.
Unxerxes

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2004 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I use Direct Connect when I can but sadly I'm mostly on a comp on my uni's network and thusly behind my uni's firewall which is very strict.

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2004 - 08:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I just wonder how costly the proxy actually is. I'm pretty new here so I've been using the proxy since it appeared the easiest way to connect and everyone else seemed to be using it too.

If the cost of the proxy is really too high, it might be nice to implement something in the javabowl launcher to allow direct connection. Just add a button on the overview page that would load the game as a net server with no proxy and at the same time update your last known ip in the website's database. Then you add a second button, which would prompt the other guy for the opposing coach name, and would then launch a net client to directly connect to that coach's ip in the database.

That would require a bit of recoding, but I think it's not that complicated and it could be worth it.

An other interesting concept would be a mIRC script that basically does the same thing.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2004 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

No recoding necessary. You can do that already. Just change the first drop-down menu to "No Proxy" and the host to "localhost".

Should look something like this:

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2004 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
No recoding necessary. You can do that already. Just change the first drop-down menu to "No Proxy" and the host to "localhost".

Should look something like this:

Actually, as the picture you just posted points out for you, the host box is ignored if you chose no proxy, so you don't need to fill it in at all.

The Finishing Touch
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2004 - 22:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh. I thought you had to fill that in because there was "no proxy" set above.

So the proxy is set, it's just set to "no proxy."

So the pellet with the poison is in the flagon with the dragon. The vessel with the pestle is the brew that is true, right?

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2004 - 22:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the localhost thing got started because if you have proxy set, then change to direct connect, it does not disable the host box immediatly, although it does ignore it. If you had direct connect selected from the start, the box starts disabled, and just won't let you type something in there at all.

The Finishing Touch
 Jump to: