24 coaches online • Server time: 10:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Goallie11

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2004 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Are there any good goblin strategies that a new coach could take advantage of?
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2004 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Here's my take on it....

http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=173061#173061

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 07:13 Reply with quote Back to top

and while we're on the topic of gobbo strats, is it acceptable for goblins (and 'flings) to foul as an exception to what most people think about continuous foulers?

considering how difficult it can be for gobins to even knock down some players, is it bad to run in and circlebeat them in an effort to even the playing field? Especially since they all get broken very easily.
Twahn

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 07:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Gobs shouldn't foul, it's just plain unfair to their opponents.
Elves shouldn't dodge either, and Dwarves that block, don't get me started on them...

I hate coaches like that!

I say, just add all coaches who use these dubious tactics to your 'do not play' list and keep searching for that coach who just stands there clicking the turn button! You'll find him one day... Wink
veron

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 08:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Squiggy wrote:
and while we're on the topic of gobbo strats, is it acceptable for goblins (and 'flings) to foul as an exception to what most people think about continuous foulers?

Whatever the answer to this might be (depends who you ask it from), but the main point is that do you really think Goblins give a rat's hairy bottom what is acceptable and what is not. Wink
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 09:51 Reply with quote Back to top

With a goblin team you will always be able to find someone to play them in about 1 second. So foul away my friend.

Oscar Wilde
borderline

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 11:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, and the best part: they may actually start trying to foul you back! Tying up a number of players with your single gobbo and even getting them risk being sent off just makes your job easier. Foul them rock hard, and keep your roster full. Smile

Come play my halfings later...hehe

/borderline
mUst

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 11:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Play elfs and be harsh, donno how you should play bashers.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=65832

View a few replays and see what i do, all i can say is that i have been pretty succesfull with mine
cjohnsto

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

One tactic/mind set you need to use is that you should not be afraid to just hurl the gobbos/halfling at the ball carrier, just cram enough of them in there and with dodge, side step, diving tackle you can slow down there advancement by quite a few turns even an entire half, then when you get the ball you can always go for a TTM TD. It annoys the shit out of the pponent and you get to laugh at the futile BO's and blitzers trying to take down your gobbos and when they do connect you can laugh at the gobbo going squish!
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 12:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Gobbo teams don't have to foul and still can be loads of fun to play with Smile

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=6182

-Mnemon
steellynx

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 14:33 Reply with quote Back to top

An offence tactic that's worked well for me against basher teams like undead and orcs is to simply let a few (4 or 5) gobbos run/dodge their way through the opponent's frontline and out in the wide zones. Make sure as many as possible are not in the opponent's tackle zones as that will only result in a lot of gobbos going down.

The ball carrier should stay on your half of the pitch ready to make a modified "Da Foola" (orc tactic once decribed in a White Dwarf magazine, can't remember what issue). Try and have him caged in as much as possible. Feel free to use trolls Wink

If any of your gobbos survive and you still have the ball try bashing a small hole and have the ball carrier run up for a short pass across the opponent's puzzled players.

Of course, this tactic does leave the team wide open to retaliation in case, oh wait, WHEN your gobbos fumble the ball. But that's part of the fun of playing Bloow Bowl, right? Wink
Squiggy

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2004 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Slightly off topic, but anyways...

played an amazing game tonight in my local league... you know, the kind that actually uses a board and models? ;p

my gobbos vs dark elves. managed to throw a gobbo for an early td around t3, but he caught up and surpassed me with 2 tds by the end of the half.

beginning of the second half, he got his third. at this point, I'm thinking I just want to get a 2nd td for the bonus to ff. But what happens? I manage to throw 2 more gobbos for tds to even up the score 3-3, and he's rolling really badly, either only frequently rolling 1's to dodge, even with rerolls. he maages to get someone halfway up the field with the ball, and has most of my guys surrounded in the centre of the pitch. Well, I clear a space, and throw my gobbo blodger with guard (rolled really well for him) into the clear and do an even money block to knock him down.

I manage to get the ball down to the opposite endzone, my gobbo not wanting to let the ball go, sitting just one square away from a td. he only has one guy who can reach him, so he dodges him out of where he is, runs up, gfi, then gfi to block. 2d block, and gets double pushback. Guess what? I have side step, and push in for a TD.

One of the best games I've played with them. Even with my Troll failing his assisted Really Stupid rolls about half the time. My Ogre didn't fail too many, and kept throwing gobbos accurately! (bought him before the rules review, and the local commish ruled that I get to keep him until he dies or gets retired)

It was my only win of the season, but it at least gives me a chance of getting into the finals again. In the first season, they actually came in second or third in the league and made it to the first round of finals. I'm overly impressed with how these guys are doing.
odi

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2004 - 11:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Foul away, it's the easiest way to remove the opposing players from the pitch. With gobbos and flings I do play as dirty as possible. You could almost say that it says so in the LRB that gobbos foul, they gang up on you and kick the shit out of you every time Smile there's no reason why the gobbos should just be easy and free spp for the oppo.

Someone said it's easy to get matches with gobbos, well, it isn't always so. It might be that my 3 DP's and some stars are scaring the opponent, but with a high ff I need to get rid of the dough (well, the ff has gone sown lately).
sangraal

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2004 - 01:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Gobbos are fun to play, even more fun when you actually win a game. Wink

I dont play here, but have played 23 games with my Gobbos in our league ---- I went for the
Diving Catch & Hail Mary Pass tactic, which, although it got me a few TDs, was a bad idea.

As others have said, Catch, Side-Step & Diving tackle on as many Gobbos as you can, as soon as you can & you'll cause a few headaches amongst your opponents.

If you are lucky, you'll get your doubles on the same players & have a couple of stars with Block, Guard,
Strip Ball -- stuff like that.

sangraal
LordSigmund

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2004 - 01:11 Reply with quote Back to top

make cages to protect your ball carrier
get multiblock on your trolls and herd the opposition together for your trolls to deal with, use one troll to keep free path's for your ball carrier and get a lot of sidestep so they cant herd your players around
 Jump to: