43 coaches online • Server time: 00:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Uber

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2005 - 01:21 Reply with quote Back to top

One of my friend recently had some troubles trying to connect to the chat. As it turned out, he was using McAffee Anti-Virus and had an anti-IRC feature enabled. It took him a few days to discover the source of the problem, anyhow I thought it might be interesting to post it here so people would know.

If you ever encounter similar problems, please post them here with their solution of course. I've just started a new section IRC troubleshooting section in the guide to reflect that.

Uber

Post   Posted: May 12, 2005 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Had this very problem, thanks for the info!
Karhumies

Post   Posted: May 12, 2005 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Most versions of the F-Prot antivirus/firewall program should have a similar feature. However, the instructions for turning it off (or making the firewall allow connecting to IRC) should be very easily located.

I discovered this when using my parents' new PC.

nonchalance

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2006 - 12:26 Reply with quote Back to top

ZoneAlarm has trouble as well.
Fama

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2006 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I used Zonealarm and had no problems with it - to be honest the only problems I've had with irc come from my connection, which doesn't work sometimes.

...dunno why I'm posting here, then. Hehe.

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2006 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I'm having connection problems at the moment.

I had these problems a couple of days ago, uninstalled ZA and they went away - but now they're back, so it might not have been ZA's fault.
Redhammer_the_Old

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2007 - 23:53 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a brand new problem for me:

Connecting to irc.fumbbl.com (80.217.22.159) port 6667..
Connected. Now logging in..
*** Looking up your hostname
*** Checking Ident
*** Found your hostname
*** No ident response

have just updated my ubuntu 6.10 edgy but no idea why it has all gone haywire on me....

nope it fails under windooze as well....

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2007 - 04:23 Reply with quote Back to top

On the off chance anyone else is having the same problem, I'm currently unable to connect to irc.fumbbl.com, but using the IP 213.200.183.249 as the server name allows me to.

I believe this may be due to DNS issues with Virgin Media (think i'm going through Luton as local host, not sure how widesperead it may be).
tenpole

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2007 - 07:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Many connection issues in the UK are due to ISP and not your own set up. Coaches who play on fumbbl have as a rule already have a good basic knowledge of computers and virus threats. I use zonealarm with no trouble at all for chat. I use chatzilla.
Tenobaal

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2007 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Zonealarm Pro may cause troubles with IRC connections, but at least my IRC client told me that I'm not allowed to use IRC because of Firewall issues.
If you have DNS trouble, sometimes you just need to use another DNS as Server- try and google for an alternative, and tell your Network card to use this your Modem/Router (If its a modem with your connection data) as first and your alternative as second DNS.
If this is not set up, your Modem will be the only DNS (gathering information from a standard DNS of your ISP and putting them into its cache).
Nagash_My_Ash

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2007 - 05:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I am using HydraIRC and I can get it to connect to the server, but then I can't find any channels. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks!
mightyblow

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2007 - 07:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats quite an interesting bit of information since all my IRC programs quit working lately and i have no freakin idea why. i have the mcafee enterprise edition too, but where do you turn that off, i cannot find anything in the settings abotu IRC?
Uncle_Servo

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2008 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello there, Blood Bowlers!

I'm trying to get back into the swing of things here (after being away for almost two solid years)... and as the java chat isn't working on my machine, I was trying to get the IRC chat channels set up in Trillian. Anyone know what I need to enter for the following?

...Server Alias (this is the part I'm having trouble with)
...server address (if different than irc.fumbbl.com::6667)
...Nickname
...Username (I'm assuming it's my login)
...User Info

Thanks in advance!
SillySod

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2008 - 23:10 Reply with quote Back to top

/nick nickname

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
great_daemon

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2008 - 04:47 Reply with quote Back to top

This is the first time I've used IRC, and I'm completely lost trying to connect to the chat room.

I think I have to enter a network first... what network is this channel on? And then I should enter something like "/server irc.fumbbl.org 6667"? I tried entering that without a network but it couldn't connect... do I even need a network?

Thanks in advance!

edit:when I try to connect, it says "refused"
 Jump to: