75 coaches online • Server time: 21:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mully

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2004 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I never usually do this but I am at a bit of a loss right now.

So I need some advice from some "elf" experts out there. I have linked my Elf team below. Despite their record (10-3-3) I am having trouble matching up against most races recently.

I feel comfortable in my coaching abilities so I think I am lacking in skill selection. If anyone can offer advice on where I went "wrong" on skill picks I would appreciate it.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=52396

Thanks
Mully

PS - FF started at 9 - so this is yet another example of how FF rolls can f-ck up a team.

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2004 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

By no means any expert, but since I came upon the thread, what comes to mind is that there are only two catchers, both undeveloped. They are supposed to be the trump card of the elf teams, so part of the answer might be there.
peikko

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2004 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Im not elf expert but heres my five cents; when elf teams get over middle tr/str they become highly unadvantagous with that av7. Every other team at that tr/str has teeths against them and when they bite, they bite hard.

If there something wrong with that team its lack of defencive skills, there shoud be ton of block-dodge-sidesteppers.
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2004 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

You need to develop your catchers. They are the best players on your team, good for blitzing, scoring you name it. Give them block, leap, strip ball etc. With leap and NOS, it will be impossible to stop them receiving and jumping clear. Also you can have 4, so if you ever get more money, get more. Having two throwers is always useful. Of course all elf teams have a wish-lift of purchases that they can almost never make...

Otherwise your skill and team selection is nice and well-rounded.
Mully

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2004 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Here "were" my developed catchers.
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&op=view&player_id=599458
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&op=view&player_id=665601

I understand the catchers are the lifeblood of the team ..... I just can't keep them alive.

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2004 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Elf Teams are not supposed to be bashy i find using the Nos on the catchers and dump off works surprisingly well, use the side step on the blizters to your advantage dont let the opponent get a block on you use the Ag4 to stop them from getting to you without going thorugh a Tz, my record with my elfs is not very good as i am still learning
Good luck, Dropdeadfred
Wadehek

Post 6 Posted: Apr 10, 2004 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

The trick of the Pro Elves are the combos possible with blitzers & catchers. They can be developed to become very nasty counter attackers, but the big skill - which is lacking heavily in your team - is Dodge. You need Blodgers for your line, which gives your linemen max. survivability. Also with Dodge you gain the possibility to get any elf at the spot where you want him.

Wadehek, self-pronounced King of Elven-TZ walkers. Cool
PellePirat

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2004 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I had trouble with my elves too when I got to a decent TR/TSTR.. Whenever I played a remotely bashy team, all my linemen could do was stand around one or two squares from the opponents to limit their ability to move around, while my catchers/blitzers tried to leap around and do something worthwhile.. The problem with that tactic is, apart from that it's not fun, is that the skills on the linemen are pretty much wasted, the only important thing is how über your positional players are. Never could get around the problem though, so I eventually scrapped the team..
Buttercup

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2004 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you need to develop your blitzers and catchers to improve this team, but generally it's looking fine skill-wise.

I have only a slightly less than 50/50 record with my elfs so take what I say with a grain of salt but I think you need more leap, and (like everyone else said) more catchers. Move 8 with NOS makes them very good passblockers (especially with leap).

With doubles on the catchers pick dump off - park two catchers with leap/dump off next to each other and you've got a great 2-turn scoring threat.

With your strip ball blitzer I would have taken leap instead of dodge - makes for a very good cagebreaker, and the blitzers have av8 so they can take a few more lumps in exchange for leap.

Jump up is pretty useless for elfs (I find) so on doubles I recommend dump off, dauntless and mighty blow (esp. for the blitzers). Guard is nice too, of course. Dauntless/multiblock is also very fun (but expensive on the rerolls...)

Oh, one more thing - safe throw is the #1 skill to take for elf passers once you've got accurate. Tossing into traffic to the NOS-leap equipped catchers is a a viable elf tactic.

Buttercup
Mully

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2004 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Butter - agreed - I just played Melker's high ranked elf team over the week-end and got my ASS kicked. But on the bight side I also got a good education on how to choose skills and use them properly.

So thanks to all who responded. No need for anymore for now, I'll do my best to improve.

Jump to: