40 coaches online • Server time: 12:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is [A]cademy should be restricted ?
Yes
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
No
43%
 43%  [ 21 ]
Maybe
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Dude, [A] isn't only for new coaches
27%
 27%  [ 13 ]
Dude, [A] should be only for new coaches
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 48

Crik

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2007 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

By restricted i meant for coaches with less than 60 (looks enough to be ease with the client, learn how to play the game, and get experiences with some races. or 80 or asking admins, they are more qualified than me for that) played games or by CR maybe, or something like that.

Why ? Its not the first time i've heard that this division is not working properly. I don't know. I think i've played only 2-3 games in [A]. My opinion is it should maybe for new coaches.
What do you think ?
Recently i saw this blog saying :

''The new coaches
Being somewhat of an elder on the page, closing in on my 4th birthday, I have noticed something that I conceive as a problem. Fumbbl has a big influx of new coaches, though many of them only stay for a few games. ( I didn´t play for a few years so I guess I´m a good example)
Why is that? In my opinion there are 3 main reasons.

1. Academy division is not working properly it has become the home for coaches with 1000+ games under their belt to cultivate überteams. Not the friendly learning division that at least I thought it was meant to be.

2. In R they are cherry picked and might loose the interest in Fumbbl.

3. To few coaches play in A or U, the newbies then go to R for finding games.

The solution?
For my part I have founded the Apprentices Anonymous.
http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=12521

If that will help or not who knows''
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2007 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Crik wrote:

1. Academy division is not working properly it has become the home for coaches with 1000+ games under their belt to cultivate überteams. Not the friendly learning division that at least I thought it was meant to be.

This is rubbish, you can only play an [A] team up till 150 TR and then retire or transfer it to [U] (which ammounts to the same thing as [U] is pretty much dead anyway.

I don't see the sense in banning experienced coaches from Academy, you can learn how to use the client in stand alone match and if new people only play other coaches that are equally bad then they will get a real nasty shock when they do come to [R].

There is plenty of advise in the FAQ, it seems some people just never read it this is very good. But maybe there needs to be some health warning before you create your 1st ranked team that states things like "Are you sure you want to create a FF1 dwarf team? Noone will ever want to play you" and "Always check the other team before you agree to a match, make sure your know which 2 teams will be playing before you say yes."

Some people plays plenty of games and are still terrible, so want to play in [A], but there are a few lamers who just want to pick on newbies.

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2007 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I never check the other team before agreeing to a match.......

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2007 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Crik wrote:

Huh? Come again?

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2007 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

me suspects meth abuse....

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2008 - 01:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
Crik wrote:

Huh? Come again?

I've heard of...this quote is from the blog. Good thing if there is no problems. However it would be interresting to know what new coaches thinks about it.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2008 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Dude, according to your poll, only you see the problem.

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2008 - 01:33 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
me suspects meth abuse....

please explain..
Crik

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2008 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Dude, according to your poll, only you see the problem.

Crik wrote:
I don't know. I think i've played only 2-3 games in [A]. My opinion is it should maybe for new coaches.

Am i not using the word 'maybe' correctly ?
I'm just reporting...don't really care about this division, its just i thought coaches were 'boosting' their teams by playing against new coaches who want to learn. That's all.
Kryten

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2008 - 01:49
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I keep an Academy team at around 100TS specifically so I can help new players play their first match. This includes instructions on how to install the client, how to connect to a game, what to put in where to connect properly. Once in the match, I help the new player with what to click, how to chat, how to play, and advice on how to make their team more likely to succeed (high fan factor, a few rerolls, make the risk-free moves first, and so on).

I think it's nice for an experienced coach to take time to help a n00b who may be very confused and not know what to do.

Kryten
Crik

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2008 - 01:56 Reply with quote Back to top

'i don't really care about this division' doesn't mean i'm not helping noobs..
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2008 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Can't really see the problem either. I'm an experienced coach (as far as number of games go) but I always throw a team out in A just in case some new guy (or girl) wants a game.

I turn down ppl with more than 50 games played, cause they are not the reason I hang in A. The new ppl are.
Try to help them out in the same way Kryten described.

That's what it is there for. Sure, winning in A is quite easy but one has to be pretty low to cherrypick there. Besides, you can't really use the team for anything useful AFTER the team exit A, as Spubbbba said. It is not like it moves your CR up or that you can move the team to R or anything like that...

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2008 - 02:11 Reply with quote Back to top

my mistake then Smile
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2008 - 02:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
I never check the other team before agreeing to a match.......

Thats what all the pickers say Very Happy

Seriously though, I think that [A]cademy is working absolutely fine. I struggle to see why a shark would want to play there. Nobody and I mean nobody looks at academy related statistics. Even if they did I think that having won lots in academy would actually be an immensley negative statistic, certainly if they won lots while cherrypicking.

Currently the only trouble I see with academy is that there arent enough old coaches willing or wanting to play there. I've seen plenty of new players waiting too long for an academy game because there are no opponents.

If you want to improve academy then play there. Being nice while you're there goes without saying.

Edit: two thoughts upon reflection

- Tuamadre hasn't started playing in [A] yet. I think this is a good indicator that it is not a good cherrypicking zone.

- New players don't often post on the forum. Those with bad experiences (or more likely just this isnt their thing after all) wont be here to post on the forum.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Crik

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2008 - 03:46 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:

1- If you want to improve academy then play there. Being nice while you're there goes without saying.

2- New players don't often post on the forum. Those with bad experiences (or more likely just this isnt their thing after all) wont be here to post on the forum.

1-Time to start a new team in [A]
2-You're right

Thx to all
 Jump to: