21 coaches online • Server time: 01:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Anyone else frustrated by Blood Bowl sometimes? (read post first)
Yep
53%
 53%  [ 49 ]
Nope
11%
 11%  [ 11 ]
Stop whining!
34%
 34%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 92

LordSigmund

Post 9 Posted: Apr 14, 2004 - 05:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I enjoy playing Blood Bowl, but recently, in Open (now Ranked) I've become increasingly frustrated in the games I play.

I came to FUMBBL as a relative newbie, and as such my CR dropped to 115. It's now back to 130 or so and I feel I've become a better coach through practice.

However, its becoming increasingly harder to find games both with bashy teams I make, and games that arent against MB/Claw/Rsc laden teams with dodgy teams I make once they both reach about TR 200.

As compensation, i tend to try and make new teams, but it seems that most new teams I start get ground into the ground or loses a few key players in their first couple of matches (not helped by the emerging trend of fouling-for-the-fun-of-it(tm) that I've noticed seems to be spreading). I've lost track of how many times I've restarted a team in an attempt to get it off the ground. I don't know if this is just bad luck or bad coaching on my part.

As such, I've decided to stick to Stunty for a while as I just dont find Open/Ranked enjoyable anymore. Thinking about starting a Fairy or Snot team in div U too.

Does anyone else feel the same? Just want to know how many other whining little n00bs like me there are out there Smile

Last edited by LordSigmund on %b %14, %2004 - %05:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
AcheronStyx

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2004 - 05:16 Reply with quote Back to top

It is a viscious cycle. I had the same problem for a while, and I too went to stunty exclusively for about 2 months. after that short break, i now enjoy what used to be Open (now Ranked) much more than i ever have.

About the whole new teams thing, just keep at it. you can't expect things to go smoothly every time. choose the games you play at first very carefully, and you should have no problems.

hope i helped a bit.
meshur

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2004 - 05:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I definately recognize the "try to start a new team and lose a key player" part, i think i average 4 retired teams for every 1 that make it out of their first 5 games with their health intact.
But having problems finding games I dont think I have, the 3 bashiest teams of mine (chaos,khemri and orc) still find games, even the occasional elf. It just takes a few minutes of asking Smile
DoubleSkulls

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2004 - 14:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe you need to be more careful about who (and how) you play in your first half dozen games.

Occassionally a team of mine gets hurt - often because I go against my better instincts and play a team I wouldn't normally consider.

Post 12 Posted: Apr 14, 2004 - 14:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Stick to stunty, its far superior... and you get a better class of coach!!
peikko

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2004 - 14:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Show me a player with more than 20 games who says he has never been frustrated cause of Blood Bowl and Ill show you a liar
SunTzu

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2004 - 04:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Stunty kicks ass! Stunty forever! WEEEEEEEEEEE!
BlackBart

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2004 - 07:07 Reply with quote Back to top

peikko, agreed whole heartedly, I just conceeded my first bloodbowl game, ever. It just wasnt fun anymore. I dont mind losing a game, or losing players, but I get tired of completely one sided games that happen all to often in bloodbowl where the dice gods just decide randomly that one team needs 4 blitzes and a PI. Even if I am on the winning side of that kind of luck, it ruins the fun of the game for me. I play because I want to challenge the skill of another player, not the whims of a luck. I have quit and started playing bloodbowl again and again because of this. Nothing to do with fumbbl or the client, it is the game itself that causes the frustration. So far on fumbbl I have been lucky in having mostly close, and challenging games, but there are definately days like today where I seriously question why I keep going back to bloodbowl.

Sorry to doom and gloom you folks, just needed to vent a bit.
BB

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2004 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Frustration makes Bloodbowl all the more rewarding if things DO go your way.

Not too often I am afraid. Very Happy
jimimothybodles

Post 9 Posted: Apr 18, 2004 - 03:20 Reply with quote Back to top

i suck at this game.. after my first few games with a team i got bored cos i just get beaten up :\

the help/faq is missing a whole section on "im a big dumb noob and i suck at this game, how the smeg am i supposed to win?"

for those whiners like me.. try playing against yourself in a stand-alone game.... its more fun!
Gibbering_Gambits

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2004 - 03:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Elkerlyc wrote:
Frustration makes Bloodbowl all the more rewarding if things DO go your way.

Not too often I am afraid. Very Happy

This statement is a little obscure but for me I go through these streaks. I win 10, I lose 6, I win 5, I lose 8 whatever. but when a losing streak comes to an end oh my god the pure getty feeling I get. Like, 'whew thank god it's over.' I'm still waiting to feel that again right now, and when it does I'll love Blood Bowl again!
cjohnsto

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2004 - 04:43 Reply with quote Back to top

jimimothybodles wrote:
i suck at this game.. after my first few games with a team i got bored cos i just get beaten up :\

the help/faq is missing a whole section on "im a big dumb noob and i suck at this game, how the smeg am i supposed to win?"

for those whiners like me.. try playing against yourself in a stand-alone game.... its more fun!

Well the answer to that is play lots of games and pay attention to what is causing you to lose/get beaten up. Also watching replays of other games can be a good way to learn.
thesquig

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2004 - 00:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I hate this game, sometimes I have an overly lucky game and then I'll have an overly unlucky game. I just got beat 3-0 but I just couldnt do anything. Before that I won 4-0 and did everything I tried, but i didnt need to I was already 3-0 up.

I think there should be an "average luck" setting, where each player gets 50% luck. Razz

Squig
 Jump to: