40 coaches online • Server time: 10:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post Dodge
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What is the best Team Rating calculation method?
The LRB system - Cost of players/staff, treasury and SPPs/5, no injuries considered
12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
The Playtesting Vault - Cost of staff and players, plus values for skills, no injuries considered
29%
 29%  [ 17 ]
A simplified version of Christer's Strength system - does just about everything above, no treasury included, cost reductions for injuries
44%
 44%  [ 26 ]
A modification of any of the above (please specify)
13%
 13%  [ 8 ]
Something else (please specify)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 58

Colin

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 06:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Following the emergence of the Playtesting Vault hard on the heels of the new rules in DivX, I wanted to hear what people thought of the various rules. Please refrain from harping about how they would ruin your team - that's been done in another thread; keep your replies concise and well reasoned, preferably backed up by hard data/statistics. Ok, on to the poll...

Calculating the Team Rating of your team has been a necessary chore since the 3rd edition. FUMBBL calculated it for us, and when Christer became dissatisfied, he made his own (the Team Strength system). What is the best and most workable way of calculating Team Rating, as a realistic measure of the team's ability?

Last edited by Colin on %b %13, %2004 - %06:%May; edited 1 time in total
quota

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 07:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the LRB system works quite well. The only thing I'd like changed is that MNG players don't count when it comes to calculating handicaps.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 07:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think it really matters that much about which rating system is used. However, if the sweetener system is used which is a bigger booster than the existing handicap system, then I agree with quota that MNG players should not count.
Pinkerton

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 08:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Ideally, a TR calculation standard should measure only a team's "strength", or potential for winning/doing damage for the next upcoming match, and not its long-term potential. As such, factors like treasury and SPPs that won't have any effect in a match should not be taken into account, while skills, player/staff costs and injuries should. With the exception that it doesn't seem to be completely balanced yet, the FUMBBL TS-system does this rather well.
Azurus

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 10:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Either the Team Value System or TR is good, but either one should take MNG players into account.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think this is a sensible poll. You cannot ask real life leagues (unless backed up by something like FUMBBL) to use Christers TS formula - its just far too complex.

MNGs shouldn't count towards vault sweeteners, but I think its probably a good approximation otherwise.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

The vault system is basically simplified team strength. There are only two main differances, mng players count and so does treasury. I can understand still counting treasury because it measures your ability to freeboot things and under vault rules freebooting will come up a lot more. So basically imo the perfect system, taking into account that ease of use is a huge factor for real life leagues, is the vault system modified to subtract mng players. The strength formula, while very percise, is in no way practical for table top use.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I love the VAULT system EXCEPT for the fact that it does not omit Missing players. I think that it is unfair.

However, I do think niggles should NOT be costed down as it encourages you to sack them as they "cost" more than they are "worth".

So I voted option 4, which is to tweak option 2.
odi

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the current LRB system, counting injured players (be they just mng's or niggles) to TR, forces you to keep up player turnover. But like I always say, what do I know. Maybe we could not count mng's, but I don't think niggles, -st or other injuries should reduce they team rating. If the are that badly injured, retire the palyers.
Gonzalillo

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I think LRB shows a distorsioned view of a hight rated team, so always ST ranking !!
Colin

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

My personal feeling on this is that the answer lies close to the current Vault rules, but excluding MNG players' TR, and maybe the treasury too, as the Strength formula does. The other advantage of the Vault TR system is that it is easy to calculate Star Player costs, so leagues can make up their own, or established players that go freelance can have a value applied to them.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Because of the Freeboot rules ... I still think you have to leave treasury in for team value.

However .. you guys are really begining to sell me on the miss next game players.

The problem in a way to make JJ like it is wording that will be a bear. However, I think i'm finally convinced on this ... so I'll bring it up and see what reaction I get.

Galak
Colin

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Only when you've seen the struggles of a post-Wuhan team do you realise the importance 6 MNGs have on your Team Rating Very Happy

Wuhan, and others like him, serve a crucial purpose in rule testing - they push them to the extremes (to breaking point, even) that 'normal' players would not.

Edit:
GalakStarscraper wrote:
Because of the Freeboot rules ... I still think you have to leave treasury in for team value.

However .. you guys are really begining to sell me on the miss next game players.

The problem in a way to make JJ like it is wording that will be a bear. However, I think i'm finally convinced on this ... so I'll bring it up and see what reaction I get.

Galak

I do believe this is the first time FUMBBL and it's members has had a direct influence on the rule making of Blood Bowl Smile
 Jump to: