31 coaches online • Server time: 13:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Colin

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2007 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

At last, some much-needed attention for a section of the User Guide I've shamefully neglected - I'm as much out of the loop as BMM. There is no hierarchy in who does what with the User Guide - it's a communal system, and works best when treated as such; only try to maintain some consistency.

The human setups page has an experimental table format I played with and never made a decision on, you might want to consider using that for formatting lineups, or else just revert to the standard layout. Removing obsolete rosters is a long overdue (by several years!) task. There are a number of stickies at the top of the UG forum about conventions you may want to give a read - use of the ! (and !! and !!!) mark for headings, capitalising skills and so forth.

Incidentally, my Wiki experience here has helped me in my new job (part of the reason I'm no longer around much) - so put in the effort, and you too can proudly put the FUMBBL User Guide on your CV! Smile

Edit: I just sticky-fied this most deserving of threads.

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2007 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

The tables look nice, but I think the layout of the amazon-lineups is the best. Easy to read, line-up above explanation... Seems the best way to do it.
I already deleted some outdated rosters from the CD-page, checking the rest atm, and might change the layout of every page when I have the time.
AndyBurns

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2007 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

You know, with a wee bit of HTML, you could format the rosters with text about them down the right. Um, I'm mocked some of this up on my profile page. See the bottom of it...

Just a idea.
Christer

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2007 - 17:26
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Or.. You know.. You could use existing functionality in the wiki.

Example
AndyBurns

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2007 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

D'oh. Didn't think of that! Good idea...
Colin

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2007 - 00:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
Or.. You know.. You could use existing functionality in the wiki.

Example

There you have it, then - do as The Man says. I've never seen that notation in any of the documentation for this wiki. I must have missed it.

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2007 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

That looks nice indeed... Ill give it a try after my exams are over, tuesday that is.
pac

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2008 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Always worth bumping this thread: even if it is a sticky! Very Happy

I've just made a large addition on skill selection to the Orc Strategy page (which was previously very bare indeed) ... and there's still lots more I plan to add there. (Yes, it's a very quiet summer here at work at the moment.)

So, if you too are stuck inside at work with nothing to do this summer (or maybe even if you just don't feel like doing it), please consider making some additions and improvements to one of the strategy guides or some other part of the wiki!

(BTW, I do still intend to get back to my defensive set-up guide project, but that one is much harder to work on from a work rather than home computer.)
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2008 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I might add my own flavor to the Ogre strategy page as the whole "non-fouling, TTM build" write-up makes me cringe.

Although, unlike Pac, I am gainfully employed...

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2008 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

pizzamogul wrote:
Although, unlike Pac, I am gainfully employed...

I am gainfully employed. It's just that, at the moment, I'm gaining from the employment while my employer isn't. Very Happy

(And that we have no work to do now is all thanks to the fact that I was so efficient earlier in the year, of course. Wink)
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2008 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmmm, I've always meant to do my bit for the vampire section of that. Among other things I could add a seperate page advising anyone who is considering taking vampires to a TT tourney as I'm begining to get a fair experience of that. Actually, it wouldnt hurt to add a tournament section to other races too, could do a bit for FUMBBL tourneys in the main section and then add a link advising about TT?

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
pac

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2008 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Actually, it wouldnt hurt to add a tournament section to other races too, could do a bit for FUMBBL tourneys in the main section and then add a link advising about TT?

Good idea. I would suggest adding links to this page saying something like 'TR 100 Tournament Set-ups' and then making new pages with the advice.
pac

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2008 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I have also now expanded the Dwarf strategy page, which was lacking the basic Strengths, Weaknesses, Development information that virtually every other roster has.

Various other minor editing improvements to other strategy pages too.
pac

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2008 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm trying to make sure that every roster has basic Summary, Strengths and Weaknesses sections on their strategy page (most already do which is why I'm trying to make it consistent across the board). I've added these for Goblins and 'flings so far.

Every roster should also have skill development advice in some place or other.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jul 27, 2008 - 02:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I've started my new page for Vampires in Tournaments. I'm hoping that the inclusion of non-FUMBBL specific stuff like this might help encourage people to move between communities a bit, maybe try out the grand tournament or one of the smaller events that occur around the year (do it, its a blast). I was also wondering if it would be worthwhile to ask for some additions from TBB coaches, an article on Amazons in tournaments written by Lucifer (for example) would be a nice addition. It is important to keep any non-FUMBBL specific stuff seperate and clearly labeled as such though otherwise potentially we run the risk of making the user guide confusing.

Also.... at the moment all the racial strategies pages are quite hidden, maybe some re-organisation and moving links (like suggested rosters and the skill survey) directly into each racial strategy might make more sense. I'll make that a bit clearer once I've polished the vampire section as an example.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
 Jump to: