31 coaches online • Server time: 10:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post Dodge
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
veron

Post   Posted: May 25, 2004 - 07:19 Reply with quote Back to top

SkiJunkie wrote:
I'd like to see a league where all skill rolls were random.

In second edition skill advances were random. I liked it.

The skills were divided in groups, and each type of player had access to different groups. Everything like now so far. Then you had to decide wheather you were to roll on 'General' or 'Throwing' category, for example, were you a thrower. Traits would be on the same tables also, just less of a chance getting one. I cannot remember how +ST, +AG, etc were rolled though, and I don't have my Star Players book with me here as I'm at work. Anyone else from the old-timers remember?

I liked this alot because the rolls somewhat had something to do on the direction the team is going. You cannot decide everything like now (except for aging rolls, which were not in the game back then).

Was the game more random then than now? Yes.

Was the game (particularly team progression, long-term leagues, etc.) more fun then than now? IMO, yes.
Cyco

Post   Posted: May 25, 2004 - 08:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Basically giving Extra Arms an additional +1 to pickup the ball and Two Heads an extra +1 to intercept. Not a big deal, but brings them a bit closer to the rest of the mutations.

Sounds like a really good idea. I havent seen a singel player with extra arms or two heads, yet. They are good and a bit funny but there are so many other skills that are better.

Post   Posted: May 25, 2004 - 08:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
. I cannot remember how +ST, +AG, etc were rolled though, and I don't have my Star Players book with me here as I'm at work. Anyone else from the old-timers remember?

The stat increases where in the different tables. Eg the thrower skill list would have +1 ts(throw skill) as one of the entrys whereas the blitzer/blocker tables had +1 str on them. The only way of getting skills from another positons list was to roll on the general list which had random as on of the entrys. Thsi was risky however as there was a skill called itchy feet on the general list which essentially turned ur guy into a freebooter.

Of coarse this was back in the days when you just purchased star players and they had a random amount of skills.
Elkerlyc

Post   Posted: May 25, 2004 - 09:38 Reply with quote Back to top

While a certain amount of randomness is ok it would be grossly unbalancing if mutations were random for chaos players while all other teams could choose the skill they like.

Would there be a real problem with the option for chaos/skaven to allow them to choose a mutation out of a restricted list (we are considering extra arms, spikes, thick skull and two heads, maybe prehensile tail) IF the player has had no earlier mutations or stat increases!

So if you have a beast with block (most common first skill I'd wager) you could 'develop' him with either extra arms or two heads into a catcher-style.

As a second option we are debating about 'upping' the skills mentioned. (but all pysical traits remain traits and require a double!)

Two heads gives not only +1 to dodge but also the option to re roll a failed dodge (but NOT the 'defender knocked over unless he has dodge skill!) Basically when compared to an elf taking dodge he gains an extra +1 when dodging but he is not safer when being blocked unless opponent has tackle. Sounds fair?

Extra arms we feel would be more worthwhile if it would add not only +1 to catching but also to picking up the ball.

Spikes is harder; initially we were thinking along the lines of making armour value no longer modifiable (so av8 remains av9 even vs claw/mb) but this would make the skill too good for chaos warriors and still so-so for Skaven. Any bright ideas?

Post   Posted: May 25, 2004 - 10:38 Reply with quote Back to top

What about this: on a double you can choose which mutation should be taken.
In normal skill rolls, along with block, , guard, ecc... you will have "Mutation", but in that case the choice will be random.

So, with a double you can still select Claw if you want it, but on a normal roll you cannot "decide" which mutation you will get. I think nobody will ever take a random mutation as their first skill, since Block is far better, but in the next rolls that will add some differences...

Imagine a Chaos Warrior with block and Very Long Legs. Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 25, 2004 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

jan_mattys wrote:

Imagine a Chaos Warrior with block and Very Long Legs. Very Happy

Pretty close here:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=942405
Elkerlyc

Post   Posted: May 25, 2004 - 11:49 Reply with quote Back to top

That is something to consider too.

Instead of picking a general or strength skill roll on the ´random mutation´ table.

For obvious reasons I'd not include claw/rsf in the table.

How about the following?

1-extra arms
2-very long legs
3 two heads
4-thick skull
5-prehensile tail
6-choose any mutation (not just from this list)

Fair? Flaws? Please comment.

Post   Posted: May 25, 2004 - 14:52 Reply with quote Back to top

hey thats my td maker!
SkiJunkie

Post   Posted: May 25, 2004 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

m0nty wrote:
A Side Step Accurate Shadowing tree would be handy. Shocked

And, one of a kind. Very Happy

Mirror - http://javabbowl.no-ip.org
Mirror - http://home.austin.rr.com/javabbowl
SkiJunkie

Post   Posted: May 25, 2004 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

veron wrote:
In second edition skill advances were random. I liked it.

I vaguely remember that. I have all the old 2nd edition stuff, including the two hardbacks. I only played about 10 games ever in 2nd edition so by memory of those rules are very fuzzy.

Mirror - http://javabbowl.no-ip.org
Mirror - http://home.austin.rr.com/javabbowl
 Jump to: