57 coaches online • Server time: 20:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
HellecticMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2008 - 06:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello ladies and gents.

Today was a total mindboggler of everything as I had to deal with the new game called Blood Bowl (read the rules yesterday), still learning how to set up IRC (I still don't have any idea what it exactly it is), relative disinterest in Rugby/football till recently, so you will have to excuse my ignorance to the whole scene around here.

Embarassed

I was wondering what time do you see the most traffic, as I'm desperately trying to get a first game started, and sooner I learn that I've done everything wrong and stupid, faster I'll be "passable".

Is IRC a necessity for this game? If it makes life extremely easy I'll go ahead with the setup, but if not I want to remain technologically ignorant.

Thank you for reading.

now with 25% more whineyness
AoP-Vimes

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2008 - 06:41 Reply with quote Back to top

It does improve the way, you will find games. Its MUCH easier to find games and communicate with possible opponents via IRC.

Anyway: Welcome to fumbbl, baby. And keep getting started. There is a link (i guess you have read it already), that helps you much:
http://fumbbl.com/help: .... as you can see, its the help section Wink.

Dunno, what ya mean with "the most traffic".

Gl with your games and.... dont be frustrated that early. You might lose some games (or many games) at the beginning... but you will get better! Promise.
Cheers and welcome.

Greetz
Vimes

---> I have proven the opposite!
Mates

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2008 - 07:32 Reply with quote Back to top

The "most traffic" is probably between 2 PM until late evening, maybe even sooner since we are worldwide community Wink
IRC really help's a lot, if you don't want to bother with irc programs just go here and click Java Applet, it's much easier that way imho

Welcome to fumbbl Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2008 - 07:37 Reply with quote Back to top

And if I might add some advice on your team, you should have at least 1 reroll from the beggining (more if possible, depends on race) and 15 players are just too much, 11 are usually enough for rookie team. Also fan factor should be as high as possible since it will help earn you more money and it will also help you find more games (low ff means lower winnings for your opponent as well). But this applies mostly to [R]anked division I guess.
Good luck to you, and don't worry, later will come more experienced coaches than me with lots of helpful advices Wink

Cheers

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2008 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

i guess humans might be a good team to start training. They aren't specially good at anything, but can do almost everything. Pass, run, block and dodge. The basics.

Just start with 11 players and 2 rerolls at least. 2 catchers might be enough for a rookie team, and just forget about cheerleaders and assistant coaches, their impact in the game is very low and you might need that cash for more interesting things.

IRC is just a chat room. It is very interesting to chat with more experienced coaches and it makes it much easier to find games than through PM.

You'll lose so badly the first games. This is normal. It takes some time to "see" tackle zones and learn what is risky and what are the sequences that leave you in better position in case of failure.

good luck

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2008 - 10:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess you might need to know you have to legally own the board game in order to play with the Java Client
Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2008 - 10:08 Reply with quote Back to top

HellecticMojo wrote:
I was wondering what time do you see the most traffic, as I'm desperately trying to get a first game started, and sooner I learn that I've done everything wrong and stupid, faster I'll be "passable".

CET (Central European time) evenings are probably the busiest period, but there are coaches around at all hours.

Quote:
Is IRC a necessity for this game? If it makes life extremely easy I'll go ahead with the setup, but if not I want to remain technologically ignorant.

I sympathise: I can remember that figuring out the site, the Java client and IRC all at once was quite tricky - and I already knew the BB rules! However, it is well worth it: being on IRC makes it much easier to find games, and while the main channel will seem like a lot of constant noise, once you find a smaller channel to join you can get good advice there.

Either way, the help section linked to above provides a good step-by-step guide to how to set up everything.

Jan: You don't know that he doesn't. Razz
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2008 - 10:09 Reply with quote Back to top

That's why I was informing him/her he/she needs to.
Just to be on the safe side.

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2008 - 10:26 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
I guess you might need to know you have to legally own the board game in order to play with the Java Client
Rolling Eyes

Isn't that changed to "you have to download the FREE rulebook"?

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2008 - 10:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh the game has been sitting in my place for awhile, just didn't open it up till couple of days ago.

now with 25% more whineyness
MacMan

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2008 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll play a match with you Hellectic. I'm pretty new as well so it'd be a fair game:)
Reisender

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2008 - 23:49 Reply with quote Back to top

btw nice art gallery.... and nice ad for it, too

we will all love you if you do our team logos Very Happy

welcome to fumbbl

oh and another advice: play zkaven cuz zis humanz just zuck
 Jump to: