50 coaches online • Server time: 20:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Plorg

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2008 - 02:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I decided to complete the implicit series started with the "Should I take +ST" thread.
This post will be edited later with a summary of the discussion in the thread.

While I can strongly recommend taking +ST in the vast majority of cases, the decision on +AG or +MA is much more complex.

Plorg's rule of thumb for +MA is:
If taking +MA will make that player the highest MA player on the team (or tied for highest), then it is a decent choice.
However...
If the player does not have Block yet, then I usually take Block.
If the skill roll was a double 5, then there are probably other doubles skills I want more than +MA.

Please discuss and post your reasons for what circumstances *YOU* would or would not take +MA!

-------------------------
Should I take +ST?
Should I take +AG?
Should I take +MA?
Kinks

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2008 - 02:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Obviously yes for trees.

Always yes on a thrower.

Otherwise your guidelines sound pretty good.

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2008 - 03:01 Reply with quote Back to top

i nearly always take move

slow teams need every move they can get. dorfs maka huge difference with 5 to 4, same goes for zombies etc. + linos of slow teams are sually best at 2 skills, when not getting doubles or stats
a dorf with guard and mighty blow is just fine. if you dont roll doubles you better take move
very important is move under mv4 as well, after beeing knoced over (standuproll/move after beeing prone)
when you have mv6 teams take every move => 2 turn tds 6 to 7 is great
woodis and scaven might think twice, as they are fast and need guards and mutations. (vll > move of course, for chaos and nurgle as well)
bigguys with doubles should take block (exept tree)

sum up:
take move on 6+4
take move on 5+5 when you dont play woodies/bigguys/scaven/chaos/nurgle

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2008 - 03:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I have found +MA alot better than most ppl think. I started my BB career as a woodie player and got used to high MA from the beginning. Now when I play other races I always find myself wishing they had a little more movement. I almost always take +MA when i get it unless its a double 5 and I really really need that double.
If skill no.2 is DP then you dont need that gfi to boot that pesky gutterrunner or wardancer....

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2008 - 03:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I would also almost always take it on Norse or Zons as they struggle at higher TR if they don't have some extra speed.

In fact I probably take it 90% of the time. +MA is massively under-rated imo. You get to use it so often.
PorkusMaximus

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2008 - 03:36 Reply with quote Back to top

It seems I always end up rolling a handful of +MA skills very early in my team's development and it's always a nightmare trying to figure out if it's a good idea. For example a chaos team I started recently rolled a pair of MA7 beastmen, which really improves their abilities as natural blitzers but without the block skill they are still at significant risk of causing turnovers/injuring themselves on bad blocks. If I can get them block and also tackle then they'll make awesome elf-hunters but that's quite a long way off in terms of spp and to be honest the survival rate of AV8 players isn't fantastic. I can relate to what Plorg says about thinking about just taking block or something else assuming a double 5 is rolled because block is a great skill for short term AND long term.
kwèk

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2008 - 04:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Like Prokus says.

I'm a fan of +Ma on everything, except when they have 4 ma or more already I'll probably take block before movement.
Also, +ma very largely depends on your team at the time, for instance: if you have no tackle, and you know you are going to play amazons / elves / skaven in your next games... then don't go for +ma instead of tackle.
But if your team is balanced +ma is really good.

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2008 - 06:20 Reply with quote Back to top

If a slow player (2-5 ma) gets +MA then take it because they need to be fastah
if an average player (6 ma gets +MA then take it because they need to be fastah
If a fast player (7+ ma) gets +MA then take it because they need to be fastah

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2008 - 10:15 Reply with quote Back to top

More speed means less urge to roll for gfi. The snake eyes will have to wait.

Manbush

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2008 - 10:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I ALWAYS take move on mummies, and if I ever use a treeman Id take any move on that too.
Very rarely will I refuse +MA on anyone else either though, since extra moves help me catch up to the ball carrier after last turn's gangfoul Smile

I put the liquor in the same bottle his and mine, and mine was at the bottom, and, sure, I was obliged to drink his to get at mine
Shivkala

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2008 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Diabl0658 wrote:
If a slow player (2-5 ma) gets +MA then take it because they need to be fastah
if an average player (6 ma gets +MA then take it because they need to be fastah
If a fast player (7+ ma) gets +MA then take it because they need to be fastah

QFT!
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2008 - 13:45 Reply with quote Back to top

This whole "Should I take XXXX" thing is stupid.

First, you have to state what's your goal. Want to maxx the team for the TR it has now, or have a go at trying to have a better team in the future?

These two approaches rarely cohexist.

A +ma blitzer is worse than a guard one "as a player", but might become much better later.

So first state what's your goal, and then you can go on and decide whether taking a +stat or a double is good or bad.

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2008 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I am conflicted on this subject.

On the one hand, +MA is great if you want your team to be as good as it can be at the TR it's currently at, which is good, because it means that you should win more games.

On the other hand, I feel that it is somewhat overvalued in TS, which is horrible, because it means that you should lose more games.

That said, I take it a 6,4 as +MA with every player except human, wood elf, and skaven linemen...and I would take it as a third skill on all of those guys, too.

Double fives are usually skills for me, because a premium skill seems to me to be a better buy in TS terms than +MA.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2008 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

runreallyfast wrote:
I am conflicted on this subject.

On the one hand, +MA is great if you want your team to be as good as it can be at the TR it's currently at, which is good, because it means that you should win more games.

On the other hand, I feel that it is somewhat overvalued in TS, which is horrible, because it means that you should lose more games.

That said, I take it a 6,4 as +MA with every player except human, wood elf, and skaven linemen...and I would take it as a third skill on all of those guys, too.

Double fives are usually skills for me, because a premium skill seems to me to be a better buy in TS terms than +MA.

you should always take the +MA to be in agreement with your nick Laughing
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2008 - 15:09 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
This whole "Should I take XXXX" thing is stupid.

First, you have to state what's your goal. Want to maxx the team for the TR it has now, or have a go at trying to have a better team in the future?

These two approaches rarely cohexist.

A +ma blitzer is worse than a guard one "as a player", but might become much better later.

So first state what's your goal, and then you can go on and decide whether taking a +stat or a double is good or bad.

Many of the "What-skill-should-I-pick" threads could be avoided, if the site would propose the majority's pick as preselection.

Jump to: