84 coaches online • Server time: 21:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Gromrilram

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 08:59 Reply with quote Back to top

At the moment the 30 minute timespans work quite well. the question is wether the amount of matches played will be stable. if they rise, the spans could stay how they are or be shortened, but if they drop (especially at odd times) you get the problem, that matches arent scheduled at all, or the fairness is lower.
so what i was thinking about is: basing the activations on time or on matches schedulable or on coaches applied.
if bot would be programmes to schedule matches in 30 minute spans during the high times (i bet there is a lot of data at which times of the day matches are likely to be played) and reducing those spans to 1 hour at about 6 am server time, you would perhaps not see messages like "only 4 coaches applied".
what i somehow favor more would be the bot beeing reacting to the amount of coaches willing to play. that would mean you can activate or deactivate your teams whenever you want, as soon as there are X coaches lfg (lets say 12) the bot schedules and announces a new round is to start. this could as well be based on the amount of matches that are possible to be scheduled, though i think the more teams each coach will have in [B] the less those 2 criterias will differ from each other. that would mean: fast games during high times, even faster than atm and still fair matches at low times 8or macthes at all, though you wait longer). if it would be able to implement a featurewhere you could see how many coaches are active atm (not who is active) you could guess how long it would take until the numbers needed is gathered. => you dont wait needless, when there are 5 coaches in a round that did for that reason not start you wait 30 minutes full of hope and see its 4 coaches now. if you can see that the amount of 4 people isnt rising, you can leave after 15 minutes when you want.

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 09:43 Reply with quote Back to top

hmmm...

you do realize that the scheduler is on overtime so christer can get a wide array of data to evaluate how the system is running, right?

--j

ImageImage
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 10:00 Reply with quote Back to top

If there are only 4 coaches at one point, then it's likely the next 30 minute cycle would have those 4 coaches plus a few more anyway.

So in effect, the 30 minute schedule sets itself to 30 / 60 / 90, or whatever is required.

Surely it would be more frustrating to have 8 coaches ready, who have to wait an hour.
Gromrilram

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 10:08 Reply with quote Back to top

thats exactly why i dont favor the time based thingie.

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 10:35 Reply with quote Back to top

If you activate a team, can you then deactivate it? Can see problems arising if you activate a team and there aren't any games for an hour. Then you head out and are forced into a game that you cannot play.

DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 10:36 Reply with quote Back to top

PhrollikK wrote:
If you activate a team, can you then deactivate it? Can see problems arising if you activate a team and there aren't any games for an hour. Then you head out and are forced into a game that you cannot play.

At 25 and 55 minutes past each hour, your team is removed from the schedule.
Cribbleobblepie

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 10:37 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem with the way you are suggesting (And correct me if I'm wrong), is that it only starts once x amount of coaches activate their teams. What happens if it's been 2 hours since coaches 1,2 and 3 activated and they now don't want to play or have left?

You'd need another system, to maybe indicate wanting to play, then actually activating.

Sure there should be an easy solution, but I'm not seeing it?

I like it the way it is. Guaranteed games within 30 minutes instead of sitting on gamefinder for a couple of hours and wasting whatever playing time you did have.

EDIT - PhrolikK beat me to it, just said it quicker!

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 11:07 Reply with quote Back to top

"that would mean you can activate or deactivate your teams whenever you want, as soon as there are X coaches lfg (lets say 12) the bot schedules and announces a new round is to start" <= yes deactivating would be neessary for it

and: i allready occured the situation where i was not given a game due to lack of coaches within 30 minutes. this certainly is nothing burning under the nails, but i see it as a possible future problem