15 coaches online • Server time: 06:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should star players be allowed?
Yes
73%
 73%  [ 127 ]
Only for stunties
12%
 12%  [ 22 ]
No
13%
 13%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 172

Irgy

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 02:26 Reply with quote Back to top

If we can't hire stars, then once a team has a full-ish roster and saves up a bit of money (not that that's ever happened to one of my teams mind you), it's going to get a bloated TR and be disadvantaged if it can't burn some of the money away on a star player. That probably won't be a problem for a while but it will happen eventually. The reality is there's nothing useful to spend your money on in some circumstances otherwise, and it's lame to just stockpile it or throw it away for nothing.

It's part of the balance of the game really that if the high-av teams don't have to buy new players as often they can get more stars. Some might argue high-av teams are doing well enough anyway, but if so that's a separate balance issue that should be dealt with another way if at all.

I guess there's wizards too though. Maybe either wizards or star players would be enough, but I don't see the harm in having both if you're going to have one or the other anyway.
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 02:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Irgy - There was talk of matches based on TS and getting rid of handicaps. In that case the saved up money wouldn't matter. Not sure where that idea is at the moment though.
nin

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

It depends on several things:
-hiring before the scheduler works the pairs.
-handicaps (if there are handicaps, money management will be different than othewise).
-accuracy of TS on Stars (it could be trimmed on the run, so not that bad).

That said, I don't like stars, but I can live with them
And stunty teams or vampires benefi a lot from them, that's good imo
They could be good also for nearly full rosters with several mng players (thats related with the handicaps thing)
westerner

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2008 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm OK with stars in general... the TS should take care of that.

But, it feels cheap to allow frontloading a team with stars.

This results in a disposable team facing off against a developed team that earned its way to a higher TS.

The disposable team has the significant advantage of taking risks on the pitch that the developed team can't afford. e.g., man marking mummies with elves, and being able to ignore SPP considerations.

I suggest that teams have to play a minimum of ~5 games before being able to spend money on stars, and possibly freebooters and wizards as well.

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2008 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Stars: yes.

Altering the roster after the pairing: NO.

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2008 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

aggree with all the opinions here, take stars by all means, just not after the pairing.
its always nice to have the option for a star when you have alot of spare cash and nothing feasable to spend it on

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2008 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I am all for stars.
I thought the original idea was roster locked when you activated your team. You hit activate and that is the team you are playing with. I think it defeats the purpose of the blackbox to allow alterations of any kind to your roster in response to the team you are playing against.
Forrest_Gump

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2008 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

don't see why they shouldn't be allowed. useful for hiring if youhave a few mng i've found and adds some more spice to the mix Smile

Try out Tilean Triad Trialsfor some fun threesome action!

panzerpig

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2008 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

You cant hire stars? or you´re not allowed to? I just specced a halfling game where the coach used deeproot?
Reisender

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2008 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

you can atm
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2008 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I would rather prefer to see journeymen available.

westerner

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2008 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

panzerpig wrote:
You cant hire stars? or you´re not allowed to? I just specced a halfling game where the coach used deeproot?

The system will currently let you hire stars after a match has been scheduled, however, it is against the rules.

http://fumbbl.com/help:Blackbox

Hiring stars before match is scheduled is permitted.