35 coaches online • Server time: 11:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2008 - 16:44 Reply with quote Back to top

So you want to reset BR on a monthly basis? Great - that would basically eliminate it as a matchmaking component and I could play 10-15 matches just TS matched each month. If you don`t reset BR every month - which doesn`t happen and also hasn`t been announced or even hinted at - then BR and CR in my example are completely interchangeable. Without a BR reset, the BR 135 coach will have a score advantage over the BR170 coach given the exact same matches.
Optihut

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2008 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:

Back in R.
Most seem to be anyways.

[B] seems to be settling into a sort of R-light.

I liked [R], but since [B] is so much better, I don't see the point of going back, unless [B] dies out due to a lack of interest. Right now the stats are in favour of [B], though.

Last edited by Optihut on %b %08, %2008 - %17:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
alik_stromblade

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2008 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Please excuse my ignorance but I have been away from fumbbl for over a year now and just got back and I am liking the randomness of BB. I have to ask though.

What is BR?
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2008 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

alik_stromblade wrote:
Please excuse my ignorance but I have been away from fumbbl for over a year now and just got back and I am liking the randomness of BB. I have to ask though.

What is BR?

That thing that occupies most of CircularLogic's time.
BlackBox Rating, it's a measure of... you know, I'll let CL explain. Wink

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2008 - 17:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Optihut wrote:
I liked [R], but since [B] is so much better, I don't see the point of going back, unless [B] dies out due to a lack of interest. Right now the stats are in favour of [B], though.

[grandpa mode]
Back in the time, when I had 7 games, like you have now... back then I was full of optimism and enthralled by the promise of the box. Then the BR-weighting started and each game felt more and more like work. Now I try ranked first and then I`m unsure if I really want to play [B].
[/grandpa mode]
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2008 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
So you want to reset BR on a monthly basis? Great - that would basically eliminate it as a matchmaking component and I could play 10-15 matches just TS matched each month. If you don`t reset BR every month - which doesn`t happen and also hasn`t been announced or even hinted at - then BR and CR in my example are completely interchangeable. Without a BR reset, the BR 135 coach will have a score advantage over the BR170 coach given the exact same matches.

Agreed it is a potential exploit if a coach wants to lower their BR so much. Winning will raise their BR so they have to play one good month one bad month. It's not a good enough reason to not have a Championship though as many have fun with it.

For most coaches it is not going to be an issue as the lower BR coach will be getting TS advantages which should wipe out the score advantage. IMO the lower BR coach would be less likely to match the hight BR coaches wins anyway.

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2008 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

BlackBox Scheduler, with BR explained

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2008 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Agreed it is a potential exploit if a coach wants to lower their BR so much. Winning will raise their BR so they have to play one good month one bad month. It's not a good enough reason to not have a Championship though as many have fun with it.

Well... the missing incentive was been one point, why the 'deliberately lower your BR' exploit was dismissed. Add a championship and you`ll have an incentive right there.. besides getting easier games and it helping with teambuilding.
Add in the fact, that people don`t want to see their BR, so it might stay hidden, there is no disadvantage in using this exploit, except that you have to develop a taste for losing games with your all-skeleton-team. Maybe just throwing in random fouls makes it fun?

koadah wrote:
For most coaches it is not going to be an issue as the lower BR coach will be getting TS advantages which should wipe out the score advantage. IMO the lower BR coach would be less likely to match the hight BR coaches wins anyway.

That is only true, if BR equals coaching skill. If you are giving an incentive to lower your BR, there will be people exploiting it if it`s a worthwhile goal. So either it becomes the joke it is in ranked (which I suspect), or it is a true incentive for people to exploit BR.

- Cassandra out
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2008 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

Some would say that [L] is the real competitive division.

[L] is by far the most competitve division on FUMBBL.

I think they need some way to reward people for playing more games, as it stands if you get a lucky run at the start of the month and are at the top of the championship then you shouldn't play any more games.

Maybe some formula using win % and you can take the best 2 or 3 results based on BR and TS?

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2008 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I can see why you want some kind of [B] competition (I want stuff like that too) but I really dont think that the championship is suitable. The championship was a lovely idea but pretty much fundamentally flawed. Even if you cut out all of the "but I get more challenging matchups boohoo" stuff it still comes down to:
- JanMattys has a lucky streak and outwits the bishops ten times in a row.
- JanMattys stops playing and drinks some bourbon (or alot of bourbon as the case may be).
- Everyone else can pretty much forget about the championship this month, they will never be able to catch a 100% record, even if they only lose one game out of onehundred... even if they win twenty games straight and lose none they will still be tied with Jan.

So while I'm sure you have to play well to win it... winning it is likely to mean that you were lucky and stopped playing after being lucky, nothing more Confused

I'd much rather compete to have the highest active BR of a given race tbh, thats something which should fluctuate a bit but certainly wont be achieved via luck Smile

PurpleChest wrote:
{B} seems to be settling into a sort of R-light.

Well, thats true enough. On the whole I actually get easier games in {B} than I get in [R]. However, the rest of what you said looks like BS Wink

Personally I love {B} because it has none of the predatory aspects of [R].

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
hoffmeister

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2008 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

while you have players that play khemrhi jsut to destroy teams and foul every turn so there is nothing u can do each turn it is pointless playing blackbox at all - it will eventually only be full of khemrhi that jsutfol all the tme with o intention ofplaying bloodbowl at all- black box i now see liek many is a virtual waste of time when you met these players
Calcium

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2008 - 19:53 Reply with quote Back to top

hoffmeister wrote:
while you have players that play khemrhi jsut to destroy teams and foul every turn so there is nothing u can do each turn it is pointless playing blackbox at all - it will eventually only be full of khemrhi that jsutfol all the tme with o intention ofplaying bloodbowl at all- black box i now see liek many is a virtual waste of time when you met these players

Seriously. Where is your proof for this? And given your post I'm assuming you DON'T try to kill opponents by blocking or fouling? I love Khemri, and I love playing against Khemri.

In my box experience Orcs are the main team, and the main pain in the ass too! MY toys have been thrown outta the pram a few times now off the back of another Orc matchup. But, for me the box is still king. As for a box championship? there's been a lot of talk about the fairness of implementing such a thing, but my question to those that have put that point across is...'so Blood Bowl's fair now?'

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2008 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

hoffmeister wrote:

1- No.
2- Buy a new keyboard.
3- Just no.

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2008 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
hoffmeister wrote:

1- No.
2- Buy a new keyboard.
3- Just no.

Thats what I meant. Without all the words.

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2008 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not really sure I'm getting the point here? Are people moaning because coaches with a greater win ratio are being pitched against unfair match ups?

...never been a fan of handicaps myself (always turned off the quick catchup option in racing games) I feel like it has made cheap a win if that's the case?