26 coaches online • Server time: 08:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Olaf_the_Stout

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 07:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Jemy wrote:
Speaking of tackle skill for blitzerz:

Tackle: General skill Opposing players who are standing in this player's tackle zone are not allowed to use their Dodge skill if they attempt to dodge out of the player's tackle zone, nor may they use their Dodge skill if the player throws a block at them.

Am I correct in asuming that this means that if the blocking die shows the "block unless X has dodge skill" I can pick that die and it will be a block on a player even if he has dodge skill?

Yep, if the attacker has Tackle and he rolls a Pow/Dodge result then you will take down the player, even if he has Dodge. Your Tackle cancels out his Dodge. It's as though he doesn't have Dodge if someone with Tackle blocks him.

Also, if you have a player with Tackle in the tackle zone of someone with Dodge and the player with Dodge tries to dodge away, he is unable to use his Dodge skill to re-roll a failed Dodge roll. He can use a team re-roll (if he has one available) but his Dodge skill is again cancelled out by Tackle.

Olaf the Stout
Jemy

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 08:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you Olaf for clearing that out for me.

Pythrr, thanks for you contribution as well. I shall try to do that less in the future. That is why I am asking for additional advice in the first place. Wink
Shades_SteelFist

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 08:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I have the same problem when facing skaven with my khemri teams, if you dont cas a few players early they just run right past you

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 08:34 Reply with quote Back to top

A lot of elf teams keep the thrower back as long as possible so you need to pressure him, otherwise he will stall and keep dodging around further up field - two players max to do this. Once you have forced him to act you can pressure the ball and he will either have to score or you may even successfully get the ball. In the first turn or two whilst setting up pressure you should be taking out as many of his players as poss to make it easier later. But be careful if you plough everyone onto half way then he may well skip/throw past you and end up stalling by your end zone. Best to concentrate your fury on a couple of targets and keep the rest positioned. I usually aim to remove one per turn from the pitch by multiple blocks and a foul if necessary and on someone worthwhile. Hope this helps although others may well disagree
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Watch how the leading coaches do it.

You can see a list of games from their team pages, e.g.

You can click the Replay link on the match report page or use the cool JBBR replayer to view the games. Cut/paste the URL of the match report page into JBBR's address bar.

You can also spectate Games in progress from the games link

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you Malmir and Koadah, both your answers have been very helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM-Lnw-Rjl0&feature=related

Hell has no fury like a woman scorned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CXtBulwA2c
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 13:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Jemy wrote:
axemurder (cuddly name)

He is a very cuddly guy as you can seen on his coachpic. Wink

Now the question is...will I be thanked for my helpful contribution. Razz
Grod

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

A possible tactic revolving around having the kick skill one one of your players is this.

Many fast teams have a thrower pick up the ball and rush back to their own end zone out of range of your players. Then they put many receivers in your half of the field.

So

1. Try to prevent easy access to your half of the field.
2. Try a short kick, rather than a long one, and keep 2 blitzers near the LOS but in the side zones, for a potential blitz on the ball location. If the receiving team can't get the ball out of blitzing range, sometimes they make a mistake and give you an opening for a blitz. At the very least they must use more players to defend the ball carrier, leaving them with less receivers down field. Also, sometimes the opponent will panic and pass the ball early, giving you a chance to blitz the ball carrier in the backfield. Finally if the opponent drops the ball trying to pick it up or pass it / hand off, you are in a position to capitalize on your opponents mistake.
3. Don't over commit players to the ball position, because fast teams can move the ball quickly leaving your players out of position.

Oscar Wilde
Jemy

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2008 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I played my first game ever today, and inccidently it was against one of those fast teams. I Tried to use as much of your tips and help as I could.
Did manage to do a matchreport as well, if anybody would be interested is watching it or the replay feel free the link is here http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=2464152.

Feel free to comment on what I did right ( if anything )on what I did wrong ( more then one thing, Im sure ). Any feedback is wellcome.
/Sara

Oh yes rijssiej, a very special thank you to you for your helpful contribution Wink. And for the nice comment on my blog:) You also receive a very non real, madeup hug:)
lawman

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2008 - 00:59 Reply with quote Back to top

a little off topic but, if you do not play against these types of teams often, you will be more fundamentally bloodbowl sound than almost all other bashers/unusuals due to the fast blitzers and decent throwers. Having a "rookie" orc team is challenging to play dodgy teams. Having a blitzer with tackle/dodge/+ST/+MA/+AG in any combo would be ideal vs any team as the primary blitzer of the ballcarrier (+ST, tackle,+AG being the most benefical-AG-Dodge to fill the gap to the ball carrier+ball pickup)

As far as defense setup I suggest a spread defense using 3 lineorcs (you should have 3-5 from the start and buy blitzers later) with the Black Orcs on row 3 spread out- with Stand firms covering the edges later on. Place your Troll in the middle row 3. Place your remaining blitzers along the back a spot or two behind the blockers. Your thrower should go in middle behind your Big Guy a row or two.
ooooxooxooxoooo
ooooooooooooooo
oxooxooxooxooxo
ooxooooxooooxoo
If they have frenzy- switch the side X's or move in one. Consider rookie blitzers on the third row with the big guy in row 1 as your team grows. Against weak bashers with less strength/guard consider compact setups or "long-lines"
lawman

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2008 - 00:59 Reply with quote Back to top

a little off topic but, if you do not play against these types of teams often, you will be more fundamentally bloodbowl sound than almost all other bashers/unusuals due to the fast blitzers and decent throwers. Having a "rookie" orc team is challenging to play dodgy teams. Having a blitzer with tackle/dodge/+ST/+MA/+AG in any combo would be ideal vs any team as the primary blitzer of the ballcarrier (+ST, tackle,+AG being the most benefical-AG-Dodge to fill the gap to the ball carrier+ball pickup)

As far as defense setup I suggest a spread defense using 3 lineorcs (you should have 3-5 from the start and buy blitzers later) with the Black Orcs on row 3 spread out- with Stand firms covering the edges later on. Place your Troll in the middle row 3. Place your remaining blitzers along the back a spot or two behind the blockers. Your thrower should go in middle behind your Big Guy a row or two.
ooooxooxooxoooo
ooooooooooooooo
oxooxooxooxooxo
ooxooooxooooxoo
If they have frenzy- switch the side X's or move in one. Consider rookie blitzers on the third row with the big guy in row 1 as your team grows. Against weak bashers with less strength/guard consider compact setups or "long-lines"
johan

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2008 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Tackle/DT is awesome against any dodgy team. And DT surprisingly often comes into use even against less dodgy teams. DT is a fine pick on doubles for Blitzers and Linemen. I like to have two (although that rarely happens).

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
Mates

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2008 - 01:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I watched your replay, and gotta say good job. You did well when you took your time moving towards endzone, beating all the elves you could get to. Both TDs of you opponent were really lucky, while yours were well deserved. As for the mistakes, I'll just say that it's not very good to block with the ball carrier when there is some other option, but I suck as a coach, so don't take my advice too seriously Very Happy

EDIT: you wrote an excelent match report Razz I wish I could create such things Smile