15 coaches online • Server time: 04:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
halivaraith

Post   Posted: Dec 25, 2008 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I was just wondering how the blackbox deals with super high TR teams with a not so high TS? Say a chaos team with a 300spp killer or a skaven team with a super one turner who picks up two or three TDs a game. Since there is a maximum of five handicaps at 100+ does this mean that a 300/200 could get matched against against a 150/175 team? And that a even higher TR team with 200TS could get matched against that same team? I know a lot of people feel that keeping a legend drags down your winning chances in ranked but it seems to me that in blackbox having one will actually give you easier matches. Lately that my khemri seem to have either been giving up three handicaps and playing a weaker team, or playing against a team with equal TR, but missing a few players and my blitzra is only super star....
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Dec 25, 2008 - 12:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Its mostly your winnings you decrease by increasing your TR. The only thing having players with "empty" spp:s leads to in blackbox is more matches where the opponent have higher ts but you get handicaps to even it out.

Post   Posted: Dec 25, 2008 - 13:03 Reply with quote Back to top

First of all I think teams with legends will not survive in [B]. I know from personal experience that you have to be pretty picky about who and what you play against in [R] to make a team with a legend survive.

Second of all, the TR drag created by single players with loads of SPP is a bit silly. Since the scheduler attaches a higher value to handicaps than the 5 TS people are used to calculate with in [R] you should get better matches than you would in [R], in the pretty hypothetical situation that you would get to the "TR300 because of my 1 legend" status.

Post   Posted: Dec 25, 2008 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

The scheduler attaches the 5TS value to handicaps. Which is pretty rediculous most of the times for one of the sides..
westerner

Post   Posted: Dec 25, 2008 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

As yet there aren't many Legends in B and I would think it's quite a challenge to get one.

The more general point is that TR-bloat isn't much of a disadvantage and the TS value of handicaps should probably be reviewed.

EDIT: here's my take on handicap values:

EXTRA TRAINING 5TS (avg value of reroll)
GREATEST 9TS (oppo loses 2nd best player, say 10TS discounted to 9TS in case best player doesn't play)
BAD PRESS 3TS (say avg 13FF = 6FF lost = 3TS)
ILLEGAL DRUGS 8TS (+1ST applied in best possible place)
MORLEY'S REVENGE 8TS (avg 1 random player out on any drive, but the uncertainty frustrates opponent)
SMELLING SALTS 5TS (gut feeling, I hate when players idle in the KO box)
PALMED COIN 3TS (receving first = 6TS, x50% you would have won the toss anyway)
DOOM & GLOOM 6TS (avg 2 rerolls lost = 10TS, x half the game = 5TS, +20% for the first half and chances of extra CAS = 6TS)
IT WASN'T ME! 8TS (random player out)
DUH, WHERE AM I? 4TS (oppo's best player gets Bonehead)
BRIBE THE REF 2TS (almost useless, prevents IGMEOY on 1st foul only)
KNUCKLEDUSTERS 3TS (Mighty Blow in right place)
VIRUS 4TS (This is obviously highly variable. The threat of Virus encourages sacking of nigglers. Guessing every 3rd B team has a niggler who will usually be a good player.)
IRON MAN 4TS (probably worth 2 basic skills)
BUZZNIG 3TS (can be double edged)

Sorry if I've missed one as these are the handi's I've seen.

Assuming they are all equally likely the average handi value comes out to 5TS so maybe things are OK as they are.

Last edited by westerner on %b %25, %2008 - %17:%Dec; edited 3 times in total
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Dec 25, 2008 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I would rather suppose, that the calibrating effect of the feedback through BR would still keep the chances for both side in the fixtures on par.

smoked_g60

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2008 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the first legend came and went
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&op=view&player_id=6093381
RIP Shiny from a vicious foul in a game against If You Can't Beat Them. He was also uninjured at legend, a first for me. It felt like I was always playing teams much lower than me, I think it'd definitely an advantage when ones tr is much higher than ts. Overall the handicaps don't make up for the ts they are supposed to.
 Jump to: