42 coaches online • Server time: 10:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Shades_SteelFist

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2009 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm trying to make claret and blue Necro Icons for my West ham United Team but when I load the red icons it wont let me add any blue and visa versa for trying to add red to the blue icons, I assume there is some kind off filter to stop these colours being added to stop confusion when on the pitch but I intended to change the away blue colour to be in contrast, Maybe black.

How do I turn this filter off and make it so that I can add blue to the red icons?

Sorry if this a noob question but I just got gimp yesterday and im still trying to figure a few things out.

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2009 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

dunno but what i do is creating a new image (don't forget to select the transparency option) of same size, and copy and paste your icon, then you should be able to add any color.
IwEl

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2009 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Make them purple Very Happy

PhrollikK

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2009 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Its easily fixed. Sometimes images can be saved in a colour-save format, simply to cut down on the image size. There's two easy fixes:

a) Add the Colour Chart (Dialogss--->Colourmap). Then edit or add colours to the chart (might be a simple way of editing team colours too if that is all you are looking for).

b) Change the image settings to allow more colours (Image--->Mode--->RGB).

Gran

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2009 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I too have been wondering how to do this in a simple way. Up until now I've been doing it in the same way as Crik. I've tried to do something like what PhrollikK suggested, but I tend to get problems with the colour indexing, namely that the order of the colours change in a way that makes the icon very psychedelic. What might I be doing wrong?

Today Is A Good Day For Someone Else To Die!
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2009 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Another way you can try, is to double click on a color in the color map and edit it. Especially replacing the red tones with blue ones.

PhrollikK

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2009 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Gran wrote:
I too have been wondering how to do this in a simple way. Up until now I've been doing it in the same way as Crik. I've tried to do something like what PhrollikK suggested, but I tend to get problems with the colour indexing, namely that the order of the colours change in a way that makes the icon very psychedelic. What might I be doing wrong?

I think the easiest way is for you to add colours to the map and not edit the ones there. Otherwise change the mode of the image to RGB, in that case you get all available colours. Not sure what happens when you save the image whether or not the colours are indexed. If they're not you can always do this yourself (by changing back to indexed mode I think).

vanGorn

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2009 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

PhrollikK wrote:
Gran wrote:

I think the easiest way is for you to add colours to the map and not edit the ones there. Otherwise change the mode of the image to RGB, in that case you get all available colours. Not sure what happens when you save the image whether or not the colours are indexed. If they're not you can always do this yourself (by changing back to indexed mode I think).

Well, with directly editing the colors in the palette, the helmets and jerseys can quickly be turned from red to blue and vice versa.

PhrollikK

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2009 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

@vanGorn: I started doing so also when I started experimenting with icons, but found it took lots of time (due to sometimes having lots of shades of the same colour). It is easier to just take 3 colours/shades to work with editing or just adding to the colour map.

Shades_SteelFist

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2009 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Thnx for the tips guys i figured it out and will be posting my West ham style necros shortly Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2009 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't tried this so it's all just theory, but would it be possible to mark the red or blue (or whichever colour it is you want to change) and play with the hue of the marked area? I know it's been possible to change the hue of the whole image in other programs I've worked with, but I never tried this in Gimp.

Today Is A Good Day For Someone Else To Die!
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)
PhrollikK

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2009 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes it's possible, but you might need to change to RGB mode (not sure but if it doesnt work then that is why). Mark your area with a lassoo or magic marker and Right-click and use the colour tools for this.

Jump to: