29 coaches online • Server time: 10:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PhrollikK

Post   Posted: May 02, 2009 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

TheCetusProject wrote:
There is no section in the LRB that suggests that the LC can hand out absurd prizes at will.

LRB4, page 47:
Although the glory of winning a major tournament trophy is considered by many teams reason enough to take part, most teams are motivated as much (if not more) by the chance of winning the big cash prize that the sponsors of the tournament offer the winners. There are also often additional ‘fringe’ benefits for the winners of a major tournament, such as lucrative sponsorship deals or special prizes.

TheCetusProject

Post   Posted: May 02, 2009 - 19:42 Reply with quote Back to top

PhrollikK wrote:
TheCetusProject wrote:
There is no section in the LRB that suggests that the LC can hand out absurd prizes at will.

LRB4, page 47:
Although the glory of winning a major tournament trophy is considered by many teams reason enough to take part, most teams are motivated as much (if not more) by the chance of winning the big cash prize that the sponsors of the tournament offer the winners. There are also often additional ‘fringe’ benefits for the winners of a major tournament, such as lucrative sponsorship deals or special prizes.

And if Fumbbl ran the majors then I'd have no reason to complain. It, however, does not. Calling its tournaments "majors" doesn't make them LRB majors (those are Spike, Dungeonbowl, Blood Bowl, and Chaos Cup). The things on fumbbl qualify as "other tournaments". It is true that the line "Similarly, the prizes for minor tournaments should be kept on the low side, and the total prize money (for both winner and runner-up) should never exceed 150,000 gps" (p. 49) is somewhat ambiguous -- although I don't read it this way, one could intepret this as carte blanche for the LC to give any rewards he wishes.

Edit: this discussion is academic since fumbbl tournaments do not follow the LRB tournament rules anyway.
On1

Post   Posted: May 05, 2009 - 08:28 Reply with quote Back to top

pizzamogul wrote:
Would we get to choose which of our teams was entered into the tournament, or just which team we would prefer to play? Rolling Eyes

Well i would like it if the coach chose the team he/she would like to enter into the tournament, just like a ranked major.
odi

Post   Posted: May 05, 2009 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

As long as there will be a B type division for LRB5, I'll be happy enough. Some sort of tourney system would be a fun bonus too, but I'll let someone with a more intelligence to figure out how they should be run. I dont think I've ever even participated in the R majors. But in a B type enviroment, tourneys would sound more interesting, just to get a team there, would mean that you would have had to face anything to build up your team.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: May 05, 2009 - 11:29 Reply with quote Back to top

As much as I love [B], I hardly see what kind of format could make them special. In all honesty, without picking your games you hardly build super teams with AV<9. And the majors get so much interest in because they are feed with those monsters (TR300/TS250).

I do think that the whole tournament scene, blackbox and ranked will have a massive overhaul with LRB5/6.

Spirraling expenses and inducement may change everything on a wide scale.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2009 - 11:46
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I know id be in.

/me ACTIVATES [B]OX TOURNEY

Post   Posted: May 05, 2009 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I would love to see box tournaments! Not sure how it would look, but it would give an added dimension to Box - that the next game matters too. Added benefit would be, if you ever saw a monster elf team in that kind of competition, you would know it's build honestly. (Either that or it's Petew playing Wink) )

I just hope you all realise one thing - if (and that's a big IF) there are tournies in the Blackbox, they will have to be without prizes - 'cause if you got some prizes to bloat TS you team will never, ever get paired to play again Smile)
On1

Post   Posted: May 06, 2009 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Kamahl wrote:
I would love to see box tournaments! Not sure how it would look, but it would give an added dimension to Box - that the next game matters too. Added benefit would be, if you ever saw a monster elf team in that kind of competition, you would know it's build honestly. (Either that or it's Petew playing Wink) )

I just hope you all realise one thing - if (and that's a big IF) there are tournies in the Blackbox, they will have to be without prizes - 'cause if you got some prizes to bloat TS you team will never, ever get paired to play again Smile)

I agree on the monster elf statement there.

But i do think those tournaments require prizes, such as extra skills (mutations) gear, potions, scrolls, special players or a player from any roster.

Prizes are a must, it makes your team "special"... Being special is cool Smile "They have a cave troll!" - and then Frodo almost died... omg!

Bloated TS, i don't know how it would be in LRB5. I guess it could be customized so that a prize was not worth that much TS... It is a prize after all, should not act as a handicap.

(I don't know if christer plans on using TS still in LRB5)
johan

Post   Posted: May 07, 2009 - 11:14 Reply with quote Back to top

There should be tournements, but not stupid Ranked-style prizes (these prizes shouldn't exist in Ranked, either).

But yes, the Box would be able to handle stupid prizes better than Ranked does, but that's no reason to include them. Cash prizes are fine, a little FF is fine, even free SPP would be fine. FFreebie skills and weirdo stars or big guys isn't.

Of course, I hope an LRB 5 Box starts as soon as testing of the LRB 5 client is finished.

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
treborius

Post   Posted: May 08, 2009 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

tournaments ftw!

about prizes, i don't care that much - weird stars and the like would more or less be accounted for by the TS-formula...

...main value would be, that people would be even more eager to get one of 'em Smile

EDIT: a group devoted to extinct "unnatural" players in the Box would be kool, too Cool
 Jump to: