54 coaches online • Server time: 22:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How would you like activate preference to work?
Increased preference value & add an option for no preference.
45%
 45%  [ 38 ]
Leave preference as is & add an option for no preference
22%
 22%  [ 19 ]
Remove preference all together - value all teams equally.
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
Leave it as it is.
24%
 24%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 83

funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2009 - 03:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Part of the suitability forumla is a .95 multiplier of your non-preferred teams. This would mean that your preferred team can be a worse matchup for you when you do get the match. Not sure what this really equates to but any more of a preferance may backfire.
How about the ability to give your team even more preferance where you will take a more uneven match where you are on the worse side? For example I have been seeing mostly 800 scores. How about the option to give your preferred team a match even in the 700s in your opponent's favor?
Chingis

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 19:26 Reply with quote Back to top

funnyfingers wrote:
Part of the suitability forumla is a .95 multiplier of your non-preferred teams. This would mean that your preferred team can be a worse matchup for you when you do get the match. Not sure what this really equates to but any more of a preferance may backfire.

It will only "backfire" if people would prefer playing a "more even" game than playing with their favoured team. There is no "bad" or "good" way to adjust the preference weighting because you're compromising between two conflicting goals.

What you really need to do is run it at another level for a couple of weeks (say a 0.90 multiplier) and see if the majority of people prefer it that way. If necessary, tweak and repeat until you have a balance of "team choice" vs. "fair matchups" that satisfies the most people.
Haxtor

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 23:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember you posting that matchup as being a discrepency before also. In my opinion it looks like the matchup that was scheduled was the more fair matchup.
How is a 10 TS advantage in your favor better than a 2 TS advantage in his?
BR unknown the matchup that was scheduled was more fair, the scheduler did it's job correctly.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2009 - 08:48 Reply with quote Back to top

funnyfingers wrote:
How about the ability to give your team even more preferance where you will take a more uneven match where you are on the worse side? For example I have been seeing mostly 800 scores. How about the option to give your preferred team a match even in the 700s in your opponent's favor?

That is false logic. You`ll get games with your non-preferred team because it had the fairer matchup that you preferred.

If you have equally fair matchups with both your non-prefered and your prefered team, the prefered will win. Only when your non-prefered has the more equal matchup, then it`s scheduled. You`ll have a lower siutability score, but that doesn`t neccessarily mean a worse match.
Lithuran

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2009 - 09:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I have 1 team, because I want to play with that team. Sometimes you just want to play with a team.

I would make many teams if, IF! It only used my non-prefered teams when it couldn't match my prefered team.
jundru

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2009 - 11:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I have 5 teams, ogre, orcs, skavens, woodies and lizards, and is 36 games ago last time i play with my skavens, and always choose my skavens, so i want a increase preference Very Happy
Chingis

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 13:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I was just interested and I counted up my games. Since I created my skaven team, I've activated them as my preference team every time. Out of 40 games, I have played the skaven 10 times. That's 25% of the time. The matches were activated when I had five teams in the Blackbox (the amazons are new). So with no preference system, I should expect to play them 20% of the time.

In other words, the team preference system makes a difference as to which team gets picked in one game in twenty.

If we are going to have a preferred team choice, please could it have some appreciable sort of effect. Otherwise I feel it'd be better not to have it at all, as it leads people to expect it to make a difference, only to get disappointed when it doesn't.
Naboimp

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

It isn't quite that simple, however, since the chance of each team being chosen isn't 1 in 5, but is highly dependent upon the other teams available in the box. For instance, a high TS team (250+) may have much more difficulty finding a match than a team with TS in the low-to-mid 100's. The process isn't really random after all so if a team is a bad fit on a matchup occasion, the preference is only going to make it seem a little less bad of a fit. There's certainly a tradeoff in making the preference weight stronger, namely that you may get more matches with your preferred team, but they will be less even ones.
Jon_Guitard

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2009 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

considering the information that's been put up here, I for one am going to drop one of my three teams. I'll be going with a prefferred team, my ogres, and an alternate, my Necros. This way, I'll see a better progression, and perhaps both teams will get some decent play time.
hellfaere

Post   Posted: May 05, 2009 - 11:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Could there be a system implemented where you can give a 1,2,3 option for teams in BB list each having different weighting. eg 1st choice .92 mod, 2nd .95 mod, 3rd .97 mod all others as normal.
Gives the coach some flexibility in preference without strangling the bot too much.

Post   Posted: May 08, 2009 - 21:20 Reply with quote Back to top

i feel the same: preferred activate needs tweaking and i've posted my case before, here.

i've stopped counting, but it's been more than 25 games where i haven't played my preferred team, despite activating that one as preferred every single time since then...

...i can see, that while playing 7 Box-teams its often the case, that another team is a much better match and i can't provide detailed analysis of all match-ups since then, but i can tell you that i've tried to comprehend the reasons why another team was chosen over my preferred one for at least the last 10 games.

while there have been cases where it was obvious why another team was chosen over my undead, there have been cases where i could not comprehend at all - i've started to artificially trim other teams to the same tr/ts in the hope to find a match, where it's absolutely obvious that my preferred should get chosen, but it's always a tiny bit of an advantage (racial-mod-wise or other) that's giving the actually matched team an edge over my preferred.

while that is kool in principle, i think that choosing a team to be preferred should give it an advantage which should weight an equivalent of at least 1 or 2 points TS-difference or 1%..2% of racial-mod-(dis-)advantage, but i think it doesn't Sad

i therefore vote: it needs tweaking, badly Wink
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: May 09, 2009 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

treborius wrote:
i feel the same: preferred activate needs tweaking and i've posted my case before, here.

i've stopped counting, but it's been more than 25 games where i haven't played my preferred team, despite activating that one as preferred every single time since then...

...i can see, that while playing 7 Box-teams its often the case, that another team is a much better match and i can't provide detailed analysis of all match-ups since then, but i can tell you that i've tried to comprehend the reasons why another team was chosen over my preferred one for at least the last 10 games.

while there have been cases where it was obvious why another team was chosen over my undead, there have been cases where i could not comprehend at all - i've started to artificially trim other teams to the same tr/ts in the hope to find a match, where it's absolutely obvious that my preferred should get chosen, but it's always a tiny bit of an advantage (racial-mod-wise or other) that's giving the actually matched team an edge over my preferred.

while that is kool in principle, i think that choosing a team to be preferred should give it an advantage which should weight an equivalent of at least 1 or 2 points TS-difference or 1%..2% of racial-mod-(dis-)advantage, but i think it doesn't Sad

i therefore vote: it needs tweaking, badly Wink

Man!

You have 7 teams. Prefered team means +5% (roughly) to get selected. Globally, 1,05/7,05=14%

Not getting this team for 25 games in a row is a probability of 1,77%. This can happen.

Point is: you'd like "prefered team" to be a huge factor.

Is that the case of anyone?

I'd rather have a fair matchup than increasing the probabilities of the prefered team.

In your case, your penalized as you probably have many other teams of same TS to offer. But if the proba is changed and it deviates the fairness of games, the complains will go the other way.

Like when you roll quad-skulls, just consider yourself unlucky and move along, you'll play your team one day or another.