37 coaches online • Server time: 14:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Skindog

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2009 - 23:49 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:

you're overreacting.

If you love BB I bet you will play here again.

you are probably right, i will play here again, this was just how i felt at the time i posted.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2009 - 00:36 Reply with quote Back to top

SnakeSanders wrote:
Well one thing that appeals to me about the game is not having elfs refuse my orcs Very Happy

Does the Cyanide game have it's own version of BlackBox? From what i've read it has an open division just like [R] with exactly the same advatanges and drawbacks and some sheduled leagues. Though with no spectate or replay option i doubt it would be as well policed as [R]. And we already have [L] and [B] here.

Quote:

And not whining when I foul them into the ground, or stalling so they cant one turn on me

If you have a chat function in the game there will be whining, i think the game would be much worse without the option as you couldn't talk to fun people either. You can always shrink the chat box in Java to ignore the whiners, but it's far more fun to mock them.

Quote:

Not having to spend ages looking to get a game

Again is there an automatic matching option? Same things apply with [R] & [B] here.

Quote:

Oh and playing it on easy level, as im not very good Wink

Ah, well in that the Cyanide game can help you, from reading their forums it will be riddled with n00bs. Just hope you like playing vs Orcs as they attract n00bs like cakes attract flings Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2009 - 00:49 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
everything is "general" chat....if you want to be pedantic about it...

--j

This is a topic thats clearly about bloodbowl and clearly relevant to a decent protion of the FUMBBL community.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2009 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

spubbbba wrote:

I dunno if the single player AI has been programmed whine and cherrypick. Smile

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2009 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

spubbbba wrote:
SnakeSanders wrote:
Well one thing that appeals to me about the game is not having elfs refuse my orcs Very Happy

Does the Cyanide game have it's own version of BlackBox? From what i've read it has an open division just like [R] with exactly the same advatanges and drawbacks and some sheduled leagues. Though with no spectate or replay option i doubt it would be as well policed as [R]. And we already have [L] and [B] here.

Quote:

And not whining when I foul them into the ground, or stalling so they cant one turn on me

If you have a chat function in the game there will be whining, i think the game would be much worse without the option as you couldn't talk to fun people either. You can always shrink the chat box in Java to ignore the whiners, but it's far more fun to mock them.

Quote:

Not having to spend ages looking to get a game

Again is there an automatic matching option? Same things apply with [R] & [B] here.

Quote:

Oh and playing it on easy level, as im not very good Wink

Ah, well in that the Cyanide game can help you, from reading their forums it will be riddled with n00bs. Just hope you like playing vs Orcs as they attract n00bs like cakes attract flings Very Happy

Im pretty sure he meant offline play....

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2009 - 01:33 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
IT'S GREAT.

Most of the best fumbblers will stay here. I WILL BE A GOD AMONG NOOBS.

5 years where I saw cherrypicking tactics (thanks Saruman, Soaren...) usuable against masses of unsuspecting noobs...

MWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

I ll be the best on cyanide's BB version!

ME YES ME!!!!!!!!!!

Muaahaha, I will be there too! Wink

EDIT: Oh bah, you meant SoarenHightower!
pac

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2009 - 13:21 Reply with quote Back to top

You know those games you get sometimes against coaches who are new to BB? The one's where it's obvious within two turns that, while they have a basic grasp of the rules (ie, they don't try to dodge through multiple TZs - too often), they have no strategy or structure to their play. Once you realise this, you know that the only thing that will stop you from winning is if they: repeatedly throw the endless series of 2+ and 3+ rolls they need to score with their elves despite your careful positioning; or break armour on every block they throw with their bashers.

Most people do not find these to be especially enjoyable games.* Thus I find it baffling that anyone would be looking forward to the single player part of the game, because the above is exactly what it's going to be like. Blood Bowl has several levels of complexity to it, and there is no way (for turn-based) that the AI is going to be capable of anything much beyond following the rules, avoiding doing anything totally self-destructive, and a few pre-programmed tricks (which the player will soon spot and start to counter).

(* Such games can still be enjoyable because the opposing coach himself is fun to play against - an area where the AI is also likely to fall down - but the matches are not in themselves enjoyable.)

I just can't see any way in which single-player BB could be a satisfying experience. There will be three types of matches: complete pushovers; games where nothing the AI does fails, despite its incompetence; and games which are simply impossible for the player because the AI team has so many more skills than his (this being the only way to compensate for its inferiority - unless it's going to cheat on its dice rolls ...).

SP will probably be very useful for those for whom the Cyanide game is their first exposure to BB, and also for getting used to the interface, but little beyond those.

I also greatly appreciated Purp's earlier summing-up:

Purplegoo wrote:
The game going well and being a positive impact on all things BB is, of course, the perfect outcome. The actual chances of that occurring in the current financial climate, with the poor reception the beta has received, from a tiny software company that is yet to produce a good game with the low distribution and visibility / marketing of a product entirely based on a tiny unpopular niche market within a niche market? Erm, pants.

Oh, and with reference to this:

Prop-Buddha wrote:
I love FUMBBL, but JavaBowl is amateurish, buggy and out of date.

"Amateurish" refers to something that is not the product of amateurs, but seems as though it is. For example: "I paid good money for this software, so I expect better than this amateurish interface"; "Chelsea's performance was amateurish on Sunday: it's hard to believe their players are paid tens of thousands of pounds per week."

"Amateurish" cannot apply to JavaBB, since it was indeed made by amateurs! (Mostly by one single amateur.) The word you would seem to be looking for is "amateur" ... but of course that word wouldn't serve your purposes, as it doesn't sound denigrating enough.
ih8myself

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2009 - 10:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Smile

Cyanide's Blood Bowl has now been out for 10 hours. And I've been playing it for 5 hours. I wrote about it in my blog if you wanna know my feelings about the game.
If you really really really wanna like the game and wanna hear someone whine about bugs and stuff, DO NOT read it :p

cheers
TuernRedvenom

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2009 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

they already have their own Spiro!

http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2906
Grod

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2009 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:

and RTS mode?....please...blood bowl is not an RTS game...it's a turn-based strategy game....what's next? RTS risk?...RTS poker?...

I guess Shadow never had that dream in which he was a Troll ripping the head of an annoying Wood Elf who was about to TD ...

The Cyanide client is as close as I can come to recreating that dream... Seriously, I can't be the only one who when growing up playing TT Blood Bowl thought a real time computer version would be exciting? And now it is here.

Oscar Wilde
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2009 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

TuernRedvenom wrote:
they already have their own Spiro!

http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2906

ROFL
Wraith

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2009 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

To the people who bought the cyanide game, but stop playing shortly afterwards (like myself), I decided to give it another try tonight... to check out dark elf patch... they've made important improvements TBPH. There's now a match-making system, they finally added SPP totals on each player UI card (about time), they added Morg N Thorg and it looks like they polished the graphics a bit more (could be the new video card that I got since the last time I played a full match though). The match-making and SPP thing are pretty big improvements... finding a match sucked previously and the cycling "N" thing was annoying. Not sure about the exact details on the match-making thing, but I got a game in under a minute against a similarly rated team and while he whined the whole game about the dice, he didn't disconnect. I could have been lucky though.

Now if they would add a small tactical map somewhere, add the rest of the races, make player run leagues better and add more customization options... this game would be pretty good. Although, it's getting better, albeit slowly. I heard that Norse and Undead are in the works for sometime early next year (I'm thinking 1st quarter).

Anyways, might be worth another look for those people that lost interest due to the shitty game-finding system.

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2009 - 03:43 Reply with quote Back to top

For those who might be tempted by the new Xbox360 version, read this first...

http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11021
Sigla

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2010 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it looks like Cyanide's missing races have turned up with a load more features, stadia etc in a new, revamped version of the game. Although info is a little hazy detail, it looks a lot more impressive than the original game (hopefully there'll be some bug fixes too!)

http://bloodbowl-game.com/index.php?rub=news-info&id=158
Canopus13

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2010 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

If it wasn't mentioned already, Steam is having a 4th of July Holiday sale. Among the deals, Cyanide's Blood Bowl is 50% off (This is the Dark Elves Edition).

I bought it yesterday and am enjoying it better than the XBox version (which suffers from really, REALLY bad AI (even on hard) and other things). I heard the online play is even better.
 Jump to: