19 coaches online • Server time: 07:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
More team slots in ranked division?
yes
59%
 59%  [ 137 ]
no
40%
 40%  [ 95 ]
Total Votes : 232

thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2004 - 04:15 Reply with quote Back to top

The only reason I play R instead of U is because it's hard enough to find games in R unless your playing goblins and there are even fewer people playing in U so it would be even more of a pain in the ass. Really couldn't care less about ranking myself but I do care about being able to find games.

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2004 - 06:37 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
...So mrMojo, I ask you one more: What is the advantage with U? What does it mean to be funnyer?

Well, I wasn't suggesting that division U is any more or less fun than division R. In fact, just the opposite. I was suggesting that playing for fun is way more important than what division you're playing in.

A lot of people here who are basically saying, "I'll never make a div U team for open play because all I see LFG-ing is R teams." Does anyone else see the paradox here? Is it really just me?

As I said in the bit that you quoted ("The point of playing any game - Ranked, Unranked or Parcheesi - is to have fun and try to win (preferably in that order)."), I am simply advocating that more people play for fun - which can be in whatever division you like. If that's R, U, S, X, L or F doesn't really matter to me. Asking, "What's do I gain by playing a Unranked game," is the antithesis of what I'm saying here. I wish people would instead say, "What fun am I missing by _not_ playing pickup games in divU?"

Again, it wasn't really directed at you, sk8, but you just gave me a convenient quote to reply to.

So, everyone get out there and play some good division U games for the fun of it. Pick an opponent that you like and get on the field. It may be an unfair matchup, even... doesn't matter. So long as you enjoy playing the game. It's really the reason we're all here... I just wish people could see it that way.

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2004 - 07:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Well said Mojo

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2004 - 10:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I want to play in this Parcheesi division of which you speak.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2004 - 02:13 Reply with quote Back to top

ok said this way I agree. The way you talked before seemed to me as if you were somehow against R division. I may be wrong cause I m french and even if I can speak english, sometimes I do miss some subtle things on the way it's beeing said or meant.
Morgion

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2004 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, being a noob, well an improving noob hehe... i played my first few games [u]. this was by advice from a friend who plays this, by playing U i was able to play alot better players than me and they were more than happy to try and improve me as a player, by saying that tho i am currently only using 2 slots out of my 5 atm, and even now that is more than enough for me being new. i see alot of chat about being able to use different races, i see the unranked divisions and grounds to try out these pplz and bash around with em and see how you go.

I do have a question tho, probably a dumb one, but i notice we can transfer from R to other div, can we go from other div to ranked?

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2004 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Nope sadly not. Principaly because its easier for the eeevil coaches to cheat.

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2004 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Cheat by moving teams?

How would that be possible?

(if moving was allowed which is not the case; I simply fail to see how you could cheat by doing some moving...)

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2004 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

it's fine if more and more people play unranked, but it must be sure that they understand it's absolutely for fun. i'm tired of playing orcs with my flings, only to watch 16 turns of caging/bashing. "grumpf ? ball ? nah, hit small guy, better !" is the mental line of half the coaches i've met in [U].

EDIT: at that very moment, i was proposed that game:
"<XXX> Wanna play vs my [U] Dwarf 118/116?"
my only teams in [U] are flings and a Kroxi + Skinks lizzie team.

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2004 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

divx has no ageing though! i love it, it makes skill rolls fun again
still not that many games to be had in it though...
Morgion

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2004 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

point taken inquis.

oh well the more games the better in any case, but yer i noticed alot of ill play ur lower team but i wont play ur higher team in ranked, for eg. played a guy today with my CD's, against his orcs. who were stronger and better, but he would not play my orcs who were about the same str, but the tr was higher... odd how that works. but oh well, such is life.

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2004 - 12:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Not going to get any more ranked slots, your lucky to have 5, thats more than enough

the less teams you have the more time you generally will spend with them and build up team personality, which should also encourage long term league play and more matches for your teams, which is one of the advantages of internet play
Gitzbang

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2004 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Grumbledook wrote:
Not going to get any more ranked slots, your lucky to have 5, thats more than enough

the less teams you have the more time you generally will spend with them and build up team personality, which should also encourage long term league play and more matches for your teams, which is one of the advantages of internet play

Sorry, but that's simply untrue ... i have three ranked teams with more than hundred or almost hundred games each and two with around thirty, you really think i'd stop playing them just because i woul be able to play one or two more?

For me the point is rather the other way around: If i can only have five teams, i am not gonna build up all five, so that i won't get attached to all of 'em and always have a team-spot to start and try something new.
 Jump to: