63 coaches online • Server time: 22:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Fela

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2009 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

This is something I came up with when I wrote a reply in that other thread..

How about introducing one or more of the following:

1 - An automatic newsticker about very interesting [B] matchups on fumbbl's startpage (interesting in the sense of 2 top ten(20) BWR coaches meeting in a very close TS matchup without handicaps) to draw attention for people who wish to spec good games - comparable to tournament finals, but obviously on shorter notice, but hopefully more frequently
2 - something like what is done in the music industry in the coach's record: X weeks in the BWR top ten(x in top100), Y weeks in the BBR top ten(y in top100)
3 - The top 10 BWR could also be frequently posted in the news

- to make 2 and 3 more interesting a coach should only appear in the top10 when he was active in that week - or alternatively the new stars (highest new entries or greatest leap this week) could be published in 3 instead (actually now i like that better Smile)

IMO that could draw comparable attention to the box that tournaments draw to ranked - let's face it, tournaments are interesting for the prices, sure, but mostly for the frequent news posts they generate.

So, what do you think?
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2009 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Those things wouldn't make me play more [B].

What would make me play more [B] (in order of importance):
1) official tournaments in [B]
2) possibility to bring my [R] teams to [B]
3) games scheduled on TV instead of TS
Fela

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2009 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej wrote:

1) what for? You could see [B] as one big infinite tournament
2) should never happen anyway, as you did not 'raise' your teams under boxed conditions
3) LRB5 client is not finished yet
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2009 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="Fela"]
Rijssiej wrote:

1) what for? You could see [B] as one big infinite tournament
2) should never happen anyway, as you did not 'raise' your teams under boxed conditions
3) LRB5 client is not finished yet

1) B is nothing like a turnament..it has not any characteristica of a turnament... In a turnament you can lose and get knocked out... In a turnament you can win prices when you win... In a tournament you have a particular goal ahead of you that you can archieve in a limited and specific number of games... in a turnament your opponents will become more skilled and dangerous with every round you successfully advance in it... In a turnament there is a point in trying to make the own team gather faster skills and spp then everyone else....

2)agreed

3) TV is finished, shown on every team page, the LRB5 client has nothing to do with it and it is the better and simpler measurer for games Smile
eyeslikethunder

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2009 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej wrote:

1) would be good
2)allows pimping, cherry picked and team building from outside B. So i cant agree also whats the point of B tourneys if pimped R teams can get in
3)this would be an improvement

There was this disturbance in the water, then suddenly this giant testicle came out and grabbed me
Fela

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2009 - 16:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:

3) TV is finished, shown on every team page, the LRB5 client has nothing to do with it and it is the better and simpler measurer for games Smile

Doesn't it require LRB5 inducements to actually make sense?
TheCetusProject

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2009 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

A one-week only option to transfer from R to B might be an acceptable idea.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2009 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej wrote:

Oh dear lord no! Rijssiej you are an evil man, I might be the first to find fault with TS but even I think its miles ahead of the competition Shocked

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
maysrill

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2009 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

LRB4: Handicaps are too random to make fair matchups based on wide TR differences. They are so-so at making up for variation in TS.

LRB5: TV is better than TR only in that it comes with inducements instead of handicaps (they are otherwise pretty much the same thing). Also, even inducements don't seem to level the playing field over a wide enough margin, they just close the gap some. For every inducement there is pretty much a built-in loss factored into it, from the 30k extra for mercs to the 100k rerolls, you pay more for the same thing than your high-TV opponent does.

This issue shouldn't effect [B] enrollment. More people playing [B] would make it more popular, because the matchups would be fairer (pooled from a larger base and therefore more good options). This of course is an obvious Catch-22. Too few people play [B], so you get more awkward matches, a larger % of people don't get matched (if 7 people activate, 14% are guaranteed not to play, if 33 activate, only 3% are).

If you want to make [B] popular, you need some sort of event to boost participation in the short term, and hope it lasts. Maybe a promotion of some kind, like a meta-game contest (most [B] wins in a month, highest TR from a new rookie [B] team after a 1 week period, etc.) to boost interest.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
Koigokoro

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2009 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Titles for Champion of the month and racial champions(easier to get fame by playing rarer races)?

Some minor reward for achieving those like +FF and/or cash perhaps.

Tourneys.
Neograf

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2009 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the idea with the newsticker is quite nice but I think the game would be over before many people would recognize it and if i want to spec a game, i take a look at the games page.
Point 2 and 3 are just for the ones with big egos Wink , but i would like to see the BWR one the main coach page, just next to the cherry-, i mean coach-ranking.

Rijssiej wrote:

1) Would be nice of course, but I can't see the big difference between ranked tournaments and the ones in the box (except that teams can not build up the cherry-way). We would need something to make the box-tournaments something special.
2) Never ever should this be allowed.
3) Well, the scheduler Wink. Sometimes nice, sometimes bad but i have to say that most of the time i get relatively fair match ups.

I'd say, the box needs just some more time and people will realize, that the box is the true way of bowling - unexpected, mercyless and full of surprises Very Happy
Meantime it might happen, that there are enough coaches to get some games in the box even deep at night (bbtime).
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2009 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Fela wrote:
1 - An automatic newsticker about very interesting [B] matchups on fumbbl's startpage (interesting in the sense of 2 top ten(20) BWR coaches meeting in a very close TS matchup without handicaps) to draw attention for people who wish to spec good games - comparable to tournament finals, but obviously on shorter notice, but hopefully more frequently

why?...this isn't done for ranked, nor league, and some of the most high profile matches on the site happen in ranked major tournies...

Fela wrote:
2 - something like what is done in the music industry in the coach's record: X weeks in the BWR top ten(x in top100), Y weeks in the BBR top ten(y in top100)

i presume you mean something like this?...ranked doesn't even have something like this, unless you want to consider the coaches list, or the recent matches played, which is site-wide....

Fela wrote:

again, this isn't doesn't for the larger divisions, so why would we do it for minor divisions either?

Fela wrote:
IMO that could draw comparable attention to the box that tournaments draw to ranked - let's face it, tournaments are interesting for the prices, sure, but mostly for the frequent news posts they generate.

tournaments aren't interesting for the news posts...

tournaments are interesting for the content of the tournament...for the matchups..people like watching two big name coaches go head to head with legendary teams...they also like seeing the matches where the vastly outmatched underdog goes up against the major cherrypicking coaches...

neither of these are provided in blackbox matches....

--j

ImageImage

Last edited by shadow46x2 on %b %07, %2009 - %21:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2009 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

make it the primary division, ranked was created in the first place to be the competitive non game dodging division

TV is closer to TS than it is to TR, inducements have no bearing on it's effectiveness, TV would be preferable for the case of it following the rules and being far more accessible/straightforward

changing championship and majors over to it, can still run similar things in ranked but they shouldn't be the main ones due to the open format

changing the name from blackbox to something less elitist sounding would help as well
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2009 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Grumbledook wrote:
changing the name from blackbox to something less elitist sounding would help as well

I agree with what you wrote, but I think the name Blackbox have different meaning to people. Back when i was studying, blackbox meant to me (the wikipedia definition since I couldn't find the right words myself):
"Black box is a technical term for a device, system or object when it is viewed in terms of its input, output and transfer characteristics without any knowledge required of its internal workings. Almost anything might occasionally be referred to as a black box: a transistor, an algorithm, humans, the Internet."
Which I felt was fitting for the FUMBBL league. You activate your team(s) (input), the blackbox does it stuff (internal workings), and you get matchups (output). I was just wondering what you relate the name to, since you say it's elitist. (And if anyone can enlighten me to what the actual idea behind the name here in FUMBBL is).

(sorry for being abit offtopic)
Fela

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2009 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
Fela wrote:

why?...this isn't done for ranked, nor league, and some of the most high profile matches on the site happen in ranked major tournies...

It's not necessary for ranked, because the hgh profile matches are tournament finals and anyone interested will usually find a way to keep up to date on when those finals are played. At the very least it will be highly visible in the Games list while the match happens.

shadow46x2 wrote:
Fela wrote:

i presume you mean something like this?...ranked doesn't even have something like this, unless you want to consider the coaches list, or the recent matches played, which is site-wide....

No, I did not mean a snapshot of the current situation, rather a history of the snapshot for every week visible in the players' profile. IMO it would probably be comparable to faction medals.

(I.e. something like 'weeks in [B] top ten: 30' in Circular's profile)

shadow46x2 wrote:
Fela wrote:

again, this isn't doesn't for the larger divisions, so why would we do it for minor divisions either?

Because there ARE frequent newsposts about the ranked division. They are just named differently: GLT announcements, WO announcements, fumbbl tour updates and whatnot.

Anyone with half a mind (and a limited attention) will HAVE to come to the conclusion that ranked is THE division and nothing else counts.

shadow46x2 wrote:
Fela wrote:

tournaments aren't interesting for the news posts...

tournaments are interesting for the content of the tournament...for the matchups..people like watching two big name coaches go head to head with legendary teams...they also like seeing the matches where the vastly outmatched underdog goes up against the major cherrypicking coaches...

neither of these are provided in blackbox matches....

--j

That's just a matter of opinion.

I strongly doubt that ranked is the leading division solely because of a few people enjoying to watch what you describe.

It's the leading division because of the constant marketing via tournament announcements and whatnot also beause it's described as the default competitive division. But IMO the constant marketing is the stronger factor here, so to make the Box more popular that is where we should apply the lever.
 Jump to: