77 coaches online • Server time: 22:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
easilyamused

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 23:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Mr Chest,

Its been far too long since I did one of these posts so I thought I would kick start them again with you in the hot seat as one f the top coaches around at present Very Happy

-Yes it has been, and im very flattered you chose me.

So if you can spare a few minutes to answer these quick (and invasive) questions I would be much obliged.

1. In your opinion what makes a good Fumbbl coach?

- A good fumbbl coach is one that understands the diversity of fumbbl is its greatest strength, and doesnt try to impose their view of the game on others. One who is here to have fun but is not utterly oblivious to the fun others wish to have. Importantly they also stick to their commitments and have a mind to the fact that for them to play a game, some other human being has to spend 1 hr of their time. A good BB coach is a far harder question, but i believe the answer there lies in creativity and flexibility. Knowing the percentages, and playing them, will only ever make you a decent coach, having the creativity and belief to try the unusual and daring options is what marks out the truely good coaches in my opinion.

2. What could coaches new and old do to help them improve?

- Spectate games would my top tip. i find i have more time to consider and learn while spectating than while playing. After that I'd say play more tournaments. Seriously. I think they are the most competitive enviroment on FUMBBL and hence the best place to hone skills. there are also few utter incompetants in tournaments, though it does happen. Finally play more and pick less, not that i claim any right to throw stones.

3. Why and how did you start playing Bloodbowl?

- I played the very first edition, a long time ago when the world was young. I came to find fumbbl through a recommendation on the game i was then obsessed with, lasersquadnemesis, remember it (or thought i did) and came here. I got owned, badly badly mauled by many many coaches. i went off for a bit and concentrated on lasersquadnemesis, where i was top ranked for over 6 months, but found i had an itch to scratch, so i came back and persisted, and got a little better. I still consider myself as learning though, one day i hope to be good at this game.

4. You currently run tournaments in R, why should coaches join these and what do they get out of it?

- Why join R Tournaments: Because they are there. Really. It's that simple. What they will get out of it: A justified sense of achievement.

Now the official hat on answer, and by the way i run all FUMBBL official tournaments. Why join official tournaments? to test your mettle and prove the wuality of your coaching and your team in themost competitve enviroment FUMBBL can offer you. there are prizes galore and prestige, permanent records automativcally added to your profile and a record on fumbbl that no one can ever erase. The biggest and the best come to official tournaments, they attract spectators and glamour and often feature the finest play and spectacle of anything the site can offer.

But really, what other reason does anyone need. There are Tournaments, you should come.

5. Where is the best place for coaches to find information on upcoming majors and scheduled smacks?

- the calendar is a great place to start. It lists upcoming events as far in advance as we can. The 'Tournaments' link is also incredibly useful. Most Tournaments have good clear information on their pages and all can be accessed there. Scheuled smacks are a little unique, and for entrynumbers each week its best to watch the blogs of the Scheduled smack staff, one or other will always try to post, with 2-3 days warning, what the current numbers look like. A key thing to remember is that almost all tournaments run on 1 week schedules, and that week ends 23:59:59 Wednesday nights, giving all the maxiumum opportunty to use the weekend for scheduling and playing games.

6. What is a SFC and how often do they happen?

- SFC = Speed Freak Challenge. Its a format for 8 teams, in R, that uses a swiss sytem, meaning every one of those teams WILL have 4 games to play before their commitment is ended. Its also n instant format, with the expectation that all 4 rounds will be played instantly, one after the other. The biggest thing about the format however is that each round of game time is educed from 6 minutes to one minute, and that there is no reserve time at all. the whole tournament is usually over well within 3 hours. They currently dont run terribly often, but can run as often as 8 coaches wish them to, though they do require both active and experieinced adminning, so the availability of an admin that can run one is also key.

7. Do you have a favourite race and why is that race your favourite?

-Chaos Dwarves. Because they are fantastically versatile and given to creativity and exciting plays. they are also frustratingly brittle and hard to master. It makes me weep to see tham played badly, and they often are. If you use a Bull Centaur as a BOB, you ought not to be allowed to coach Chaod Dwarves. If you favour Minotaurs over Trolls (LRB4) you just deserve everyone sympathy, and probably ought to be coaching Khemri, with the other special children.

8. Is there any one game that stands out in your memory? Doesn't even have to be a game you played, just one thats made an impact.

- My last three losses. i forget the wins pretty quickly, but i have trouble forgetting the losses. I'm not crazy about draws either. If i was really pushed for a memory of a past game, It'd probably be the Smack legend final where my Dorfs won, making them the first team, and still only team, to hold smack titles at all 6 weights. That was a boring game though.

9. Is the RNG really random? (sorry, had to ask after the recent thread about it Razz)

- i don't know, and i don't care. As long as you use the same one i do, we're good. People far smarter than me say it is though. Subject closed.

10. Anything else you would like to say to the Fumbbl community?

-Remember it's a game. we all come here to have fun.

Thanks for your time good sir and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

-Pleasure

David
PC

Cheers.

Will.

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 23:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Great interview!
easilyamused

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Someone please feel free to wiki this with the others Razz

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2009 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

wow, you played the first edition, that was released 2 years after I was born.

Cool interview
jarvis_pants

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2009 - 12:55
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

easilyamused wrote:
there are also few utter incompetants in tournaments, though it does happen.

Thanks for the shout out! Laughing

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2009 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

omg a very first edition player...you must be older than my grandpa Wink
 Jump to: